IGNORED

Extreme Arcade Home Arcade at Sears for $399 (DEAL DEAD)

SRGilbert

Looks like this is a dead deal.

I haven't tried one of these myself, but I was looking for something else and ran across it. This was $1499 when it first came out, so that's $900 off. Still kinda pricey for a multicade, but someone might be interested.

Wierd selection of games for a 2 joystick control panel too.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...9000P?adCell=A3

This home arcade has 50 legendary games including Asteroids, Battle Zone, Berzerk, Centipede, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Jungle Hunt, Lunar Landing, Millipede, Space Invaders, and 40 more. It has an authentic style arcade cabinet and 19 in. high resolution monitor.

Intuitive menu allows you to find your favortie games fast

Game instructions are desplayed at the start of each game

Same quality controls as used in coin operated games

No coins needed

Cabinet Dimensions: 67-1/2 H x 21-3/7 in. W x 31-1/4 in. D

Assembly required

Games List: Alpine Ski, Anteater, Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Amred Car, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Atari Basketball, Battlezone, Bezerk, Birdie King, Black Widow, Calipso, Centipede, Chack 'n Pop, Cloak & Dagger, Cyrstal Castles, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Frenzy, Gravitar, Jungle Hunt, Kram, Liberator, Lost Tomb, Lunar Lander, Lunar Rescue, Moon Patrol, Millipede, Minefield, Missle Command, Moon War, Pirate Pete, Plump Pop, Pong, Qix, Red Baron, Recue, Skydiver, Space Duel, Space Invaders, Speed Coin, Super Breakout, Tazz Mania, Tempest, Tounament Arkanoid, Video Pinball, Warlords, Water Ski, Zoo Keeper

Edited by SRGilbert

It looks pretty cool but I don't see a trackball anywhere. I would not want to play games like Missile Command without one.

Also: Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Liberator, Millipede, Pong, Super Breakout, Tempest, Tournament Arkanoid, Warlords are all going to play pretty lousy without a trackball or spinner.

It's also worth noting that most of the games are from Atari and Taito who have published great compilations for PS2/Xbox/PC.

Still, this might be worth a look if you're looking for a home arcade that doesn't require the construction/configuration skills that building your own MAME cabinet does.

I just ordered mine and it arrives on Saturday. The price is definitely right even if it is a piece of you know what :) I will chime in with a quick review once I have had a chance to play with it. I am also building a MAME machine and would like to compare the two. The MAME machine will have a trackball which will make the true Trackball games such as Centipede, Missile Command and etc. much more realistic. I wonder if a trackball can be added somehow to the Extreme Arcade. Does anyone have it yet and if so, can you shoot a picture of the back of the control panel? I would like to see what inputs/outputs it has if any. I may even be tempted to open it up once mine comes in.

Edited by CudaSales

It came in! It was very easy to put together but was quite time consuming with 100+ pieces including all the screws and misc items. You can put it together with only one person. I have to say that the Artwork is Awesome! I was very impressed and it looks great. The Menu system really looks like a MAME system. I am real tempted to take the control panel apart to see what type of PCB board is inside. When you turn it on it says 50 Games Currently Loaded so it would be nice to figure out a way to load additional games if possible.

Anyways, it plays Great and Looks good. The quality is actually pretty good. The cabinet is made from wood and not that cheap Particle or Press board. The Joystick and Buttons do not feel cheap. The top lights up and the speaker sounds just like a real arcade game. For $599 it's a steal!

It came in! It was very easy to put together but was quite time consuming with 100+ pieces including all the screws and misc items. You can put it together with only one person. I have to say that the Artwork is Awesome! I was very impressed and it looks great. The Menu system really looks like a MAME system. I am real tempted to take the control panel apart to see what type of PCB board is inside. When you turn it on it says 50 Games Currently Loaded so it would be nice to figure out a way to load additional games if possible.

Anyways, it plays Great and Looks good. The quality is actually pretty good. The cabinet is made from wood and not that cheap Particle or Press board. The Joystick and Buttons do not feel cheap. The top lights up and the speaker sounds just like a real arcade game. For $599 it's a steal!

Is the cabinet full height? I've seen things like this at Sam's Club but they were shorter than real arcade cabinets.

Bill

It looks pretty cool but I don't see a trackball anywhere. I would not want to play games like Missile Command without one.

Also: Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Liberator, Millipede, Pong, Super Breakout, Tempest, Tournament Arkanoid, Warlords are all going to play pretty lousy without a trackball or spinner.

It's also worth noting that most of the games are from Atari and Taito who have published great compilations for PS2/Xbox/PC.

Still, this might be worth a look if you're looking for a home arcade that doesn't require the construction/configuration skills that building your own MAME cabinet does.

Those games look good on pc,xbox,etc but they play crappy with flat or analog controllers. Just awful. Like pacman with a nintendo joystick. It just really sucks That is why I never buy these compilations. This looks kind of interesting if you can rig in a trackball. Anyone tried this yet?

Looks like the mfr. makes a new unit, with more games AND trackball

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/alegends.php

EDIT: It appears the unit in the Sears catalog is discontinued, but the company does offer add on game pack for Arcade Legends 1... INCLUDING a Dragons Lair pack!

http://www.arcadelegends.com/

Edited by Inky

I did check with the Manufacturer and they have plans to come out with Game Update Packs for the Extreme Arcade just like they have with their more expensive units. They also have plans on coming out with controller add-ons such as Spinners and Trackballs.

I have not opened the controller yet to see how it is configured. All of the electrical components are in the Controller unit itself and you cannot see what they are from the back of the controller. The holes are just small enough where the cables come through so it needs to be taken apart to find out exactly what it is. I would assume that it has some type if input port since they will be coming out with Software add-on packs.

I was also able to verify from the Manufacturer that it is not a discontinued product but they do not list it on their website as Sears currently has a contract to re-sell the unit so they do not list it for sale. They do offer full support and will be adding upgrades for this machine shortly. They even have the manual online for this machine located at http://www.chicago-gaming.com/Brochures/Ex...cade_Manual.pdf

One feature that I like about the Extreme Arcade is that there is a hidden service button underneath the control panel which will let you get into special Sub Menus to adjust Game settings and allows you to perform diagnostics on the machine.

The Legends Arcade Machines that they have look awesome but they are 4 times the price so the Extreme Arcade still gets my vote as the best bang for your buck especially with the possibilities of future add-ons. The Legends Machine are very close to a MAME machine as they use a regular PC to run. Unfortunately the software is Proprietary and if you ever need to re-install it you have to make a phone call and get an unlock code every time. It still looks like a Great machine.

Someone in a previous post asked about the size. It is roughly 2 feet wide by 3 feet deep and 5'10" tall at the top of the Lighted Marquee in the front. I would say it is just a little smaller than the Real Arcade Machines but is a nice size for the house. It weighs around 200lbs.

Don't get me wrong as there are much better Arcade Systems out there but I have never seen a better one for $599 with the selection of games and the quality of the parts that come with the Extreme Arcade. I am also building a MAME machine and already have more into the parts than I paid for this unit.

Edited by CudaSales

• 2 weeks later...

5' 10" would make it inline if not a little taller than regular cabs although the spec lists it as 5' 7 1/2. Interesting.

As has been asked how can you possible play Crystal Castles without a trackball though? You need the analogue input to actually play that game. I'm also interested in knowing how the monitor hooked up and what type it is. Is it oriented horizontal?

Can't beat the price though - and lighted marquee? Wow.

5' 10" would make it inline if not a little taller than regular cabs although the spec lists it as 5' 7 1/2. Interesting.

As has been asked how can you possible play Crystal Castles without a trackball though? You need the analogue input to actually play that game. I'm also interested in knowing how the monitor hooked up and what type it is. Is it oriented horizontal?

It's 5' 7 1/2 without the Leg Levelers. Once you install them it will go much taller and I still have about 2 more inches that I can adjust making it 6' tall if need be.

Some of the games feel a little weird playing such as Tempest, Centipede, Missile Command and etc. without a trackball or spinner but I knew that those items were not included before I purchased it and still figured for $599 it is a Great Deal. Surprisingly, you do get use to how they have the controls setup for those games and they work just fine but I miss having the trackball.

The monitor has a standard 15pin VGA connector and plugs directly into the control panel.

Edited by CudaSales

It's 5' 7 1/2 without the Leg Levelers. Once you install them it will go much taller and I still have about 2 mpre inches that I can adjust making it 6' tall if need be.

Some of the games feel a little weird playing such as Tempest, Centipede, Missile Command and etc. without a trackball or spinner but I knew that those items were not included before I purchased it and still figured for $599 it ws a Great Deal. Surprisingly, you do get use to how they have the controls setup for those games and they work just fine but I miss having the trackball.

The monitor has a standard 15pin VGA connector and plugs directly into the control panel and is horizontal.

It's 5' 7 1/2 without the Leg Levelers. Once you install them it will go much taller and I still have about 2 more inches that I can adjust making it 6' tall if need be.

Some of the games feel a little weird playing such as Tempest, Centipede, Missile Command and etc. without a trackball or spinner but I knew that those items were not included before I purchased it and still figured for $599 it is a Great Deal. Surprisingly, you do get use to how they have the controls setup for those games and they work just fine but I miss having the trackball.

The monitor has a standard 15pin VGA connector and plugs directly into the control panel.

Ah okay - cool. Like the vga input. I was worried it would be standard rca phono composite. Would you say the games are identical - same patterns and so on?

Thanks for the feedback on this. Might actually pick one up at some point.

The games are exactly as I remember them from the 80s. The machine is Officially Licensed by Atari and all of the games are Original. The Atari Logo is on the Side in big letters and says "Officially Licensed by Atari"

I was really surprised on the Artwork when I opened it up. The Artwork is Awesome on the sides of the cabinet and is not some cheap decals. I am not sure exactly what it is as you cannot see the edges of the artwork like you would with a decal. It also has a texture to it. It actually looks and feels like it is part of the cabinet and not separate.

You definitely can't go wrong for $599 and it looks like Sears keeps on selling these at $599 down from $1499. I know they previously had it on sale for $999 at one point so $599 is too good to pass up.

I hope my input has helped. It would be nice if Sears had a display in there store for everyone to examine.

Well I admit I was very skeptical at first, but I just pulled the trigger and ordered one, after your rave review. I dont know if it is a marketing ploy or not, but the website said that today was the last day to get at this price.

Edited by dantheratman

I haven't tried one of these myself, but I was looking for something else and ran across it. This was $1499 when it first came out, so that's $900 off. Still kinda pricey for a multicade, but someone might be interested.

Wierd selection of games for a 2 joystick control panel too.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...9000P?adCell=A3

This home arcade has 50 legendary games including Asteroids, Battle Zone, Berzerk, Centipede, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Jungle Hunt, Lunar Landing, Millipede, Space Invaders, and 40 more. It has an authentic style arcade cabinet and 19 in. high resolution monitor.

Intuitive menu allows you to find your favortie games fast

Game instructions are desplayed at the start of each game

Same quality controls as used in coin operated games

No coins needed

Cabinet Dimensions: 67-1/2 H x 21-3/7 in. W x 31-1/4 in. D

Assembly required

Games List: Alpine Ski, Anteater, Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Amred Car, Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Atari Basketball, Battlezone, Bezerk, Birdie King, Black Widow, Calipso, Centipede, Chack 'n Pop, Cloak & Dagger, Cyrstal Castles, Elevator Action, Food Fight, Frenzy, Gravitar, Jungle Hunt, Kram, Liberator, Lost Tomb, Lunar Lander, Lunar Rescue, Moon Patrol, Millipede, Minefield, Missle Command, Moon War, Pirate Pete, Plump Pop, Pong, Qix, Red Baron, Recue, Skydiver, Space Duel, Space Invaders, Speed Coin, Super Breakout, Tazz Mania, Tempest, Tounament Arkanoid, Video Pinball, Warlords, Water Ski, Zoo Keeper

Not sure if I like all the games included Black Widow and Tempest seem like strange choices for a generic cab

Well I admit I was very skeptical at first, but I just pulled the trigger and ordered one, after your rave review. I dont know if it is a marketing ploy or not, but the website said that today was the last day to get at this price.

It has been on sale for a month now. They keep listing the sale for a week and then I notice the next week they renew the sale for an additional week. I can take some pictures if your still interested in them.

Edited by CudaSales

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I think that you will be very happy with it considering the price. The only negative that I have is that the games which originally played with a Trackball or Spinner feel very strange playing with a Joystick. For $599, I can't complain though. If the manufacturers live up to their word and will be coming out with the addon kit's for this machine, you really can't beat it. A good MAME machine runs $2000 so for $599, it has my vote!

Edited by CudaSales

yup they just added another week :? ...LOL well im glad I ordered anyway. I have been pricing mame cabs for a while now and they are way out of my price range. I will prob just have this and then try to get a deal on a standalone, not sure which just yet though... too many favorites....LOL. This one will be sitting boxed up for about a month though, until I finish closing on my new house and moving etc... A couple of pics would still be cool, the website doesnt have many good ones. One more question, once the machine is started up and goes to the menu screen is there any type of attract mode that comes up or does the menu just stay if a game is not selected immediately?

Edited by dantheratman

picked it up today. but it will sit for about a month until assembly :roll:

GEDC0264.jpg

Awesome!!! The biggest single piece inside the box is the 19" Monitor.

I was so tempted to open and check it out, but I am setting my sights on the right house to put in in 1st...lol. my mortgage went through last week, but I cant decide which place is for me just yet.