IGNORED

GameGavel.com - Auctions for Gamers! - Play VIDGRID - The GameGavel Game

Parrothead

• 3 weeks later...

Hello GameGavel Community,

You may have seen or heard me mention of a big announcement in past podcasts or in the forums. It is now time to reveal this announcement and what it will mean for you as a member of GameGavel.com.

Starting next week we will be aligning ourselves with ScrewAttack.com, a large, flourishing website dedicated to gaming. ScrewAttack has positioned themselves to be the Youtube/Facebook of the video gaming world and you should do yourself a favor and check them out. ScrewAttack will be promoting GameGavel.com throughout their community and endorsing GameGavel as the official gaming auction site of ScrewAttack. On average ScrewAttack.com sees 60,000-80,000 visits and roughly 250,000 page views each day. They have a large and loyal international community and all this will start feeding into GameGavel.com right away. This is a very big development and will bring in significantly larger traffic numbers to GameGavel as new buyers and sellers start participating on the site.

For more info on ScrewAttack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScrewAttack

With this new relationship, GameGavel.com will be faced with significantly increased site hosting expenses. As you are all well aware, we have initially offered use of GameGavel free of listing fees and photo upload fees. These are two areas, which will have to change so we can continue to operate at this higher level. It is our goal to bring significantly more buyer/bidding activity to our sellers to offset our new fee structure, which will still always remain 50-75% less than fees incurred by using Ebay.

Here is the new fee structure that will go into affect starting this week. I am showing the GameGavel fees side x side with Ebays fees so you have a clear picture comparing both sites. I will also be adding this comparison page to our About Us tab on the site header so you can reference it at any time.

Listing Fees GameGavel, Ebay

(Starting Bid $)

$0-$1.00 $.05, $.10

$1.01-$199.00 $.15, $.25-$2.00

$200+ $.50, $3.00-$4.00

GameGavel will feature PENNY Relistings!

Final Value Fees - GameGavel

$0-$100 4% of closing value

$101-$1000 4% of the First $100 + 1.75% of closing value between $100-$1000

$1000+ 4% of the First $100 + 1.75% of closing value between $100-$1000 +1% of closing value over $1000.

Final Value Fees Ebay

$.01-$25 8 ¾% of closing value

$25.01-$1000 8 ¾% of the first $25+3.5% of closing value between $25.01- $1000

$1000+ 8 ¾% of the first $25+3.5% of closing value $25.01-$1000 + 1% of closing value over $1000.

Listing Enhancements GameGavel, Ebay

Bold Titles $.50, $2.00

Reserve Fee $.50, $2.00

Buy Now Free, $.05-$.25

10-20 Day Duration Free, $.40

Scheduled Listings Free, $.10

Homepage Feature $3, Unknown-Expensive

Top of Category $1, $25

Photo Hosting 1st Free, $.05 after, 1st Free, $.15 after

Seller Homepage/Store Free, $15/Month

You can see by the fee structures above GameGavel fees are remaining significantly lower than Ebay fees; and that will never change. If you are one that received or purchased a discounted seller account then that discount still applies to the new fee structure.

2010 is going to be a monumental year for GameGavel.com, its members and affiliates. This is something I can guarantee. It is our goal to continue providing video gamers around the world the best, most focused place to buy and sell modern and classic video games. And this new relationship with ScrewAttack will help us all get more out of using GameGavel than ever before.

I want to wish you all Happy Holidays and best wishes for the New Year. And remember to shop GameGavel.com this holiday season.

Questions? I can be easily reached by email at socalmike@gamegavel.com or through the GameGavel forums.

So Cal Mike, Founder

GameGavel.com

Edited by Parrothead

I see how you have now given priority to Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and Playstation as the first gaming companies to appear instead of putting them alphabetical order. It's obvious that you want the site to become primarily a new gaming system site. And in dollars, and cents I understand that giving priority to the newer systems, but I feel that you have intentionally destroyed your niche of being an auction site primarily for classic gamers.

And here is a lesson to be learned here folks. Never ever destroy your niche. Just ask Atari how well trying to be a computer company over a video game company worked. Just ask Ebay how their attempts to copy Amazon as a buy it now site over an auction site has worked out for them. I'll never understand why companies do the best they can to move away from their niche when the niche is what got them established.

I see how you have now given priority to Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and Playstation as the first gaming companies to appear instead of putting them alphabetical order. It's obvious that you want the site to become primarily a new gaming system site. And in dollars, and cents I understand that giving priority to the newer systems, but I feel that you have intentionally destroyed your niche of being an auction site primarily for classic gamers.

And here is a lesson to be learned here folks. Never ever destroy your niche. Just ask Atari how well trying to be a computer company over a video game company worked. Just ask Ebay how their attempts to copy Amazon as a buy it now site over an auction site has worked out for them. I'll never understand why companies do the best they can to move away from their niche when the niche is what got them established.

Mr. Galaxian, maybe I need to be shown something obvious, but how do you come to that conclusion? What should I look at?

When I go to gamegavel.com I see categories Modern, Old School and Import.

Am I missing something?

Mr. Galaxian, maybe I need to be shown something obvious, but how do you come to that conclusion? What should I look at?

When I go to gamegavel.com I see categories Modern, Old School and Import.

Am I missing something?

Go the left side where it says in red "All Categories". You will see that the modern systems are given priority.

You know what, forget it. I think I am being to critical. Good luck with your website, and I hope you become big enough to be a true competitor to Ebay.

It's a good observation. I basically broke out the newer systems first and then starting the classics with Atari alphabetized through Vectrex. The fact is our site will live or die with the modern day gamers. It's a bigger demographic of gamer. That is just a simple fact. It was never my goal to be just a classic gaming auction site, it is just that is the audience, I to am in, so it was easiest to start promoting to classic gamers, using the forums that I already browsed or participated in. I now need the added participation of younger gamers, combined with our classic "believers" to help monitize the site.

GameGavel's niche is Video Games. All video games. A site couldn't survive alone just dedicated to the classics. So next best thing is a site dedicated to all things gaming. Obviously, I hope my love for the classics comes through and keeps GG strong with classic gamers. That is why I put so much effort to adding other complentary classic gaming extras - like RetroArcadeRadio.com and our monthly 5+ hour retrogaming podcast, RetroGamingRoundup.com.

Our AtariAge Member Affiliation search is now up so you can sort for items for sale by AtariAge members only.

If you are an AA member and also a member of GameGavel make sure to update your contact information and add your AA Member ID so your auction items will be seen in this search:

http://www.gamegavel.com/html/search.html

Hey all,

I have spoken at length with Paypal's fraud department and have some good news. As of November 2nd Paypal is now allowing for buyer protection outside of Ebay. What does this mean?

If you purchase something from a seller outside Ebay, and do not receive the item, and the seller can't show proof of shipment, they will refund item and shipping price no questions asked, even if the seller has insufficient funds in their account to cover the refund.

For more info check out the Paypal User Agreement - specifically 13.6 A & B (but the user agreement has not been updated to say this exactly. But it has been confirmed that as long as any Paypal payment method is used (including simply paid from Paypal balance) they will cover buyers for Non receipt Item Refunds. And, again, unlike the User Agreement still states, the refund does not depend on whether or not the fraudulent seller has the available funds to give the refund. Paypal will refund in full even if the seller has insufficient funds to cover the refund.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US#13.%20Protection%20for%20Buyers.

Edited by Parrothead

@Parrothead

You referenced some issues earlier in the thread where buyer traffic and listings were slowing down and I just thought I'd offer my .02

I used to a lot on CTCW but I visit much less frequently now because where once there were really good deals, the site seems to have been overrun by the classic gaming prospectors who charge ridiculous prices for their goods, which makes buying unattarctive.

None of this is your fault, nor is it necessarily undesirable for your business, there are some decent items to be had, but at the current price levels, they are unattractive. Just wanted to offer some feedback on why this buyer has visited much less often than before.

I really think that gamers need an alternative to ebay, and I hope that you are ultimately successful, hopefully the greater traffic will result in more reasonably priced items for the buyers to bid on.

All the best,

Very glad to see you get the attention. I will be very surprised if this does not bring in loads of new customers! :cool:

There has been tons of signups and lots of traffic on the site all morning. So far so good. And their promotion is just starting. Once it hits their GameTrailers.com syndicated shows it should really get crazy.

I'm a die hard fan of The Irate Gamer and don't care for the Angry Video Game Nerd will that negatively impact my participation at GameGavel? on a more serious note congrats and I hope things continue to go great for you! :)

Hey Kroog,

Well, I hope you can stick with us even though we may be getting plugged by the AVGN in future episodes. As you know the AVGN vids get craploads of views so the promotion can't hurt.

@Parrothead

You referenced some issues earlier in the thread where buyer traffic and listings were slowing down and I just thought I'd offer my .02

I used to a lot on CTCW but I visit much less frequently now because where once there were really good deals, the site seems to have been overrun by the classic gaming prospectors who charge ridiculous prices for their goods, which makes buying unattarctive.

None of this is your fault, nor is it necessarily undesirable for your business, there are some decent items to be had, but at the current price levels, they are unattractive. Just wanted to offer some feedback on why this buyer has visited much less often than before.

I really think that gamers need an alternative to ebay, and I hope that you are ultimately successful, hopefully the greater traffic will result in more reasonably priced items for the buyers to bid on.

All the best,

It comes and goes. I am on the site daily and often see great deals all the time. But they don't last long many times if they are buy now. Just keep looking and as we continue to grow you will be seeing more and more deals. Thanks :)

• Like 1

@Parrothead

All the best,

What Mike said is true, you can get amazing deals from there but you have to basically keep one tab open ALL the time to check for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am making available 20 more Lifetime Free Seller Accounts. The catch is they have to be used steadily starting now. If you are already a member of Gamegavel that is fine. I will upgrade your account to Free Seller Status. But again, the account needs to be used with some consistency. 20 are available here on AtariAge. PM me if you want one or want your account upgraded.

With our new pricing and emminent increase in visibility these memberships are more valuable now than ever.

Edited by Parrothead

You know what? I opened a free account and never really used it, so I figure what the hey! I'll list my PS2/Xbox games I'm selling. Let's see what happens! :D :thumbsup:

I really enjoy the concept of GG and would like to contribute, but always felt eBay was the best market. Here's to testing!

You know what? I opened a free account and never really used it, so I figure what the hey! I'll list my PS2/Xbox games I'm selling. Let's see what happens! :D :thumbsup:

I really enjoy the concept of GG and would like to contribute, but always felt eBay was the best market. Here's to testing!

Cool. I will help promote them in a few new places :)

• Like 1

VIDGRID the GameGavel Game is now ready for play. Here is a direct link, but it can also be found on the GameGavel.com homepage.

Choose to play with Retro or Modern auction tiles and start matching. Go for the highscore and who knows you may also see something you want to bid on.

Have Fun!

http://www.gamegavel.com/html/vidgrid.html

VIDGRID the GameGavel Game is now ready for play. Here is a direct link, but it can also be found on the GameGavel.com homepage.

Choose to play with Retro or Modern auction tiles and start matching. Go for the highscore and who knows you may also see something you want to bid on.

Have Fun!

http://www.gamegavel.com/html/vidgrid.html

Warning! EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE! :D

• 1 month later...

GameGavel = Starting Today, No More Listing/Insertion Fees

As many of you know starting January 1st we adjusted our fees to include small listing fees. Since then Ebay has recently announced they will be removing listing/insertions fees starting on April 1st, 2010. However, with this removal of listing fees they are also increasing the final value fees (FVF)/selling fees significantly so don’t be fooled. Here is a nicely written article about this that I suggest you all understand:

http://www.examiner.com/x-312-Auctions-and-Antiques-Examiner~y2010m1d29-New-eBay-fees--the-devils-in-the-details--almost-a-200-increase-in-FVF-for-25500-range

As a result of Ebay’s no listing/insertion fees change (and they are only doing this for items with starting bids under $1) GameGavel.com is dropping the listing/insertion fees for good. This means there is no cost to you as a Seller for listing an item, at any price. The only fees include listing enhancements like homepage-featured items, top-of- category listings, bold titles or highlighted listings, etc. and of course final value fees. Also, unlike Ebay, we will not be increasing our final value fees/selling fees to make up for what seems to be like a fee reduction. This is a 100% fee reduction and not being buried in other fee increases.

Keep in mind that for sellers, GameGavel also features free branded GameGavel storefront/homepage features that Ebay is charging $15+ per month.

GameGavel is growing daily now approaching 20,000 unique monthly visitors. Our goal of hitting 4,000 registered members by our second anniversary is well within reach and we are seeing more buying and selling than ever before.

It is my hope by reverting back to a no listing fee structure that many more of you will experiment by listing some items on GameGavel. We are getting lots of new people buying all types of things, from common items to “harder to find” items; systems and games.

Thanks again for being apart of our growth and as always let us know if you have any questions about using GameGavel.com.