IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 40: Sir Lancelot

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You are SIR LANCELOT. Astride your winged horse PEGASUS, you set out on a quest to save a poor maiden held prisoner in a castle by a fire-breathing dragon. As you start your journey, winged creatures wil try to kill you, but with your charmed lance and carefull flying by PEGASUS, you can overcome their challenge. You collect points for each creature destroyed and when all are gone you reach the castle and face the dragon. The wily dragon will not fight you directly, for he has seen how you devastated the creatures outside, and beathes its fire at you from behind a magic screen. The fire will not kill you, but will temporarily stun PEGASUS so he cannot flap his wings. Kill the dragon with your lance and you will save the maiden. Once the dragon is killed, you will face new creatures guarding another castle, and these defenders will have heard of your exploits and be more difficult and so will the dragon.

s_SirLancelot_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Sir Lancelot
  • Released By: Xonox, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N / A
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Ze_ro

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday June 18th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 999,990 (SpiceWare) [+11]
    999,990 (Deteacher) [+11]
    999,990 (aftermac) [+11]
  2. 924,770 (keilbaca) [+10]
  3. 308,440 (toymailman) [+9]
  4. 208,510 (Impaler_26) [+8]
  5. 206,390 (Kurt_Woloch) [+7]
  6. 206,150 (darthkur) [+6]
  7. 109,440 (Captain Beard) [+5]
  8. 106,460 (Mister VCS) [+4]
  9. 95,470 (Phantom) [+3]
  10. 48,800 (LarcenTyler) [+2]

Best Tips
  • SpiceWare [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 5,331,760 (Tom Duncan)
  2. 218,010 (Mike K Morrow (Emulator)
  3. 215,306 (Jeffery D. Lowe, Jr.) (Emulator)
(Game 1, Difficulty B, Differential)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [389]
  2. toymailman [346]
  3. keilbaca [215]
  4. aftermac [180]
  5. Captain Beard [162]
  6. Impaler_26 [150]
  7. Kurt_Woloch [140]
  8. SpiceWare [139]
  9. theking21083 [136]
  10. homerwannabee [90]
  11. Nathan Strum [88]
  12. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  13. phaxda [83]
  14. StanJr [75]
  15. Gemini [75]
  16. rheffera [65]
  17. Mister VCS [60]
  18. LarcenTyler [51]
  19. midnight magicman [46]
  20. godzillajoe [45]
  21. Recycled [44]
  22. Bentley Bear! [44]
  23. the 5th ghost [42]
  24. DarthCalvin [36]
  25. shadow460 [36]
  26. Blackjack [35]
  27. Christophero Sly [35]
  28. Rom Hunter [23]
  29. jjd [22]
  30. opeygon [21]
  31. ed1475 [19]
  32. Butterwasp [18]
  33. jimdandy75 [17]
  34. darthkur [17]
  35. Shannon [15]
  36. cosmosiss [14]
  37. doctorclu [13]
  38. tremoloman2006 [12]
  39. RJ [12]
  40. theKLT [12]
  41. lucifershalo [12]
  42. Artlover [9]
  43. atariwarrior [9]
  44. Dauber [9]
  45. atari2600land [8]
  46. vintagegamecrazy [8]
  47. Vectorman0 [7]
  48. Krytol [7]
  49. keitaro [7]
  50. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  51. Goochman [6]
  52. Omegamatrix [6]
  53. chuckwalla [5]
  54. Nognir [5]
  55. MrBeefy [5]
  56. Elerach [3]
  57. Crazy Climber [3]
  58. SeaGtGruff [3]
  59. hrecker [2]
  60. gospeedde [2]
  61. Phantom [2]
  62. Snider-man [2]
  63. EricDeLee [1]
  64. Whickeycolumbus [1]
  65. jboypacman [1]
  66. paddleperson [1]
  67. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  68. HatNJ [1]
  69. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Sir Lancelot
  • SCREEN 1 - THE FLYING SNAKES
    • Kill Snake 250 points
    • 1st Quick Kill 1,000 points
    • 2nd Quick Kill 2,000 points
    • 3rd Quick Kill 5,000 points

• SCREEN 2 - THE OLD DRAGON
    • Survive 1 1/2 seconds 10 points
    • Kill Old Dragon 2,500 points
    • Save CAROLYN 10,000 points

• SCREEN 3 - THE MONSTER BEES
    • Kill Monster Bee 750 points
    • 1st Quick Kill 1,750 points
    • 2nd Quick Kill 4,000 points
    • 3rd Quick Kill 10,000 points

• SCREEN 4 - YOUNG GROK THE DRAGON
    • Survive 1 1/2 seconds 20 points
    • Kill Young Grok 5,000 points
    • Save SARAH 20,000 points

• SCREEN 5 - THE KILLER DRAGONFLIES
    • Kill the Dragonfly 1,500 points
    • 1st Quick Kill 3,500 points
    • 2nd Quick Kill 6,000 points
    • 3rd Quick Kill 15,000 points

• SCREEN 6 - JAREK THE SPEEDY
    • Survive 1 1/2 seconds 30 points
    • Kill Jarek 7,500 points
    • Save LAUREN 40,000 points

• SCREEN 7 - THE INVISIBLE INVINCIBLES
    • Kill an Invincible 3,000 points
    • 1st Quick Kill 5,000 points
    • 2nd Quick Kill 8,000 points
    • 3rd Quick Kill 20,000 points

• SCREEN 8 - HANEK THE HORRIBLE
    • Survive 1 1/2 seconds 40 points
    • Kill HANEK 10,000 points
    • Save ELISABETH 80,000 points

• For each 100,000 points awarded, SIR LANCELOT gets a bonus live up to a maximum of six extra lives at any given moment.

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have a copy of this game's manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online for your reading pleasure. It has no specific hints, though it provides some useful information that you might want to read anyways.

Also, we previously played this game. Feel free to check out that thread for some other hints and tips.
SpiceWare
My tips from last time:

1) - for the dragon - continuously fly left/right against the top of the screen while also pushing up on the joystick. This way you can avoid getting stunned multiple times in a row(which leads to a molten death).

2) I noticed that if you can make it to the top of the screen then you can always be higher than THE KILLER DRAGONFLIES and THE INVISIBLE INVINCIBLES. It's very difficult to do and will take a lot of practice. If you fly up too fast you'll bounce off the top and most likely die. Fly too slow and the enemies will outmaneuver you and kill you. Once you make it to the top, you'll need to keep an eye on which direction the enemies are coming from because you're dead if you're facing the wrong way.
Deteacher
Here's my tip: I find it easier to defeat the 4th dragon by timing a strike and charging at him full speed. Trying to hang out at the top was not working, but once I charged him at top speed, WHAMMO!

As I zipped back and forth across the top, I found that I also had to hold up on the joystick, in addition to the left/right. Once I figured that out, rolling it was a piece of cake!
aftermac
Ok, I came up with a strategy that worked for me. When the dragon is all the way to the left and you are on your starting ledge, start flying straight up and try to time your poke when the dragon flies back to the right side. Always stay above your ledge, so when you get stunned by the fireballs, you land safely.

Don't touch your controls again until the dragon goes back to the left side. If you press your controls while it is dropping fireballs you will just re-stun yourself. By the time the dragon is back to the left your initial stun should be worn off and you can start flying straight up, and start the process over.

Good luck!

--Zero

I have the cart this time, so won't have to emulate it(doesn't work on my Krok Cart). Wonder if I can roll it again.

My tips from last time:

1) - for the dragon - continuously fly left/right against the top of the screen while also pushing up on the joystick. This way you can avoid getting stunned multiple times in a row(which leads to a molten death).

2) I noticed that if you can make it to the top of the screen then you can always be higher than THE KILLER DRAGONFLIES and THE INVISIBLE INVINCIBLES. It's very difficult to do and will take a lot of practice. If you fly up too fast you'll bounce off the top and most likely die. Fly too slow and the enemies will outmaneuver you and kill you. Once you make it to the top, you'll need to keep an eye on which direction the enemies are coming from because you're dead if you're facing the wrong way.

Edited by SpiceWare

Here's my tip: I find it easier to defeat the 4th dragon by timing a strike and charging at him full speed. Trying to hang out at the top was not working, but once I charged him at top speed, WHAMMO!

For my friends that have the Kroko Cart, I found a good dump of the NTSC ROM at the Atarimania site. I loaded it onto my Kroko and it works like a charm! Enjoy! :)

post-9712-1213230627_thumb.jpg

Sir_Lancelot.BIN

Here's my entry. I can't seem to beat the 4th dragon. Where do I poke him? I think I've just about lanced him through all points except the one I need. :)

post-10944-1213335913_thumb.jpg

You have to poke him in the stomach, just like the other dragons. Unfortunately, there is a bit more luck (and perhaps randomness :ponder: ) involved in hitting this dragon that the other 3. I usually make it to him with all my lives then lose them all at this point.

Edit: I also think you have to hit it at a higher speed than the other dragons. The I think the manual mentions something about armor getting stronger with each dragon. Deteacher's tip is probably the best way, but still quite requires a lot of luck.

Edited by aftermac

Ok, I came up with a strategy that worked for me. When the dragon is all the way to the left and you are on your starting ledge, start flying straight up and try to time your poke when the dragon flies back to the right side. Always stay above your ledge, so when you get stunned by the fireballs, you land safely.

Don't touch your controls again until the dragon goes back to the left side. If you press your controls while it is dropping fireballs you will just re-stun yourself. By the time the dragon is back to the left your initial stun should be worn off and you can start flying straight up, and start the process over.

Good luck!

post-17553-1213469927_thumb.png

I finally managed to roll it, after playing all day.

I figured out what I was doing wrong, Spice. As I zipped back and forth across the top, I found that I also had to hold up on the joystick, in addition to the left/right. Once I figured that out, rolling it was a piece of cake! :)

Two screenshots here. One right before rolling and one after rolling.

post-9712-1213484069_thumb.jpg

post-9712-1213484090_thumb.jpg

post-7961-1213488470_thumb.jpg

Ok here is my entry... 95, 470

I also have a question maybe someone could help me with?

I was at the 4th level of Dragons when I died and they were INVISIBLE.

Is that right? Are they supposed to be invisible dragons or do I have a bad ROM on my CC2 and I should get out the real cart? I don't want to dig out the real cart if they are supposed to be invisible so a lil help would be appreciated.

It did seem awful strange that they were invisible. I could see the background moving a lil but its awful hard killing invisible dragons I gotta tell ya but maybe thats the point?

Lil help? Thanks

Edited by Phantom