IGNORED

No sound?

Chris++

A pal of mine just scored a 7800, and everything works fine except for the sound, which isn't there at all. There's no separate sound chip in that console, right? Could it be a weird RF-related problem that I've never heard about? Any guesses or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

It uses the same same sound chip as a VCS for most games but a couple of carts have a built in Pokey for sound. Have you tried both 7800 and 2600 carts in it? If you have 7800 BallBlazer or Commando, they have the extra Pokey chip so try to see if you get sound with either of those. If you do, I don't think RF could be the problem.

My 7800 is the only Atari console I've had that repeatedly gives me problems. My power switch stays on no matter what I do to it. I added an on/off switch to the power adapter to deal with that. The A/B difficulty switches sometimes don't work and I have to wiggle carts to get them to go in sometimes. I like many of the games but compared to the near indestructible VCS, the 7800 workmanship seems lacking.