IGNORED

Help!

Sir Galahad

Hello, I’m fairly new to Atari Age, and I was wondering if I could get some answers about an Atari Jaguar I have recently bought on eBay. I have 3 Atari jaguars, and the first 2 are new, so I don't really want to play on them and make then not new (if you know what I mean).

So any way, I got this jaguar and hooked it up to my TV using the bog standard coax connection. Every thing was fine up until then when I turned it on, and couldn't get it to tune into my TV. At best I got an incredibly fuzzy black and white picture with no distinguishable sound. On closer inspection I found a little switch next to the coax connector labelled H L. Another thing I noticed is that unlike my friends Atari jaguar, this has a red power light, unlike my friends green.

Is there something really stupid I’m missing here? Because I just can't figure it out.

post-19551-1218660993_thumb.jpg

post-19551-1218661024_thumb.jpg

This is definitely a NTSC Jaguar. The switch (which doesn't exist on other versions) is used to select the broadcast channel. Try both positions. If your TV is not an American model, you probably won't be able to get a correct picture.

Anyways, the Jaguar's coaxial output is pretty bad quality even when it works. The best thing to do is to find a video cable. If your TV has a SCART connector, get an RGB cable, it's the one which will give the best picture. If it doesn't, get a S-video or composite cable, but check that your TV supports NTSC first (a lot of European models don't).

Edited by Zerosquare

This is definitely a NTSC Jaguar. The switch (which doesn't exist on other versions) is used to select the broadcast channel. Try both positions. If your TV is not an American model, you probably won't be able to get a correct picture.

Anyways, the Jaguar's coaxial output is pretty bad quality even when it works. The best thing to do is to find a video cable. If your TV has a SCART connector, get an RGB cable, it's the one which will give the best picture. If it doesn't, get a S-video or composite cable, but check that your TV supports NTSC first (a lot of European models don't).

It’s a new TV so it should work, as this does support 60 Hz. I’ll try an rgb cable, but it’s finding one that is the problem.

If the Jag with the little switch on the back is NTSC (American model) with a red light, then the switch is for choosing channel 3=low or 4=high. They are to select a RF output TV channel that is NOT being used for broadcast in your particular area.

It is normal for all Jaguar RF cable outputs to have the fuzziest, shittyest, probably B&W output - with lines on the left side of the screen. DO NOT USE IT. Get a Scart or S-Video cable - for sure. ;)