IGNORED

Pier Solar - New SEGA Genesis game

WIZZARD77

This is kinda old news in the SEGA-16 forums but I thought I'd post this here because I love new games for old systems, mainly Atari and SEGA. Check this out http://piersolar.com/ new game completely made from scratch and looks quite promising. Also check out Beggar Prince http://www.beggarprince.com/ as well. Not entirely new but an excellent translation with lots of bugfixes available in cartridge format with case and manual, and a great game as well. Enjoy

This is kinda old news in the SEGA-16 forums but I thought I'd post this here because I love new games for old systems, mainly Atari and SEGA. Check this out http://piersolar.com/ new game completely made from scratch and looks quite promising. Also check out Beggar Prince http://www.beggarprince.com/ as well. Not entirely new but an excellent translation with lots of bugfixes available in cartridge format with case and manual, and a great game as well. Enjoy

I personally would rather see more new NES carts to play, all you really see is Mario Hacks, Football hacks, Zelda hacks and of course Contra hacks... lame.

I've already purchased Beggar Prince and it is a very well done rpg. The only thing that bugs me about it is the speed of the text moves too fast(I'm a slow reader). Other than that it's good fun. I've pre ordered Pier Solar and played the DEMO on my flashcart. The graphics in the game are really detailed and the story is quite good.

I finished the demo yesterday. Sure it's buggy and unbalanced (combat), but I liked it a lot. Even though it's just an intro quest, the plot hinted at and introduced is one that I really want more of. Not to mention that the game's really pretty...

it's a 64mbit cart too. That's huge/unheard of by genesis standards.

and if what I'm reading is correct (over on the forum) they found a way to play the cart version of the game and have it use music off of the CD version. That's a revolution. I wonder if either of my SegaCD units still work...

Though not all is happiness. I guess they lost a pixel artist who didn't want to sign his work over right about the same time the demo was released. So the big question now is how much of those demo/screenshots/trailers won't be in the game. The other big question is when the thing will be released. I'm hoping it's not going to get pushed back again because I'm really looking forward to this game.

Edited by Reaperman

Thanks for sharing :) I wasn't aware that this was coming out. Looks like it has promise. Some of the hand drawn art in the previews looked a bit rough, but the screen shots looked pretty good.

I purchased Beggar Prince shortly after it came out and was quite pleased with it. I kept thinking that it looked more like a SNES game then a Genesis one as the use of color was very well done in my opinion.

It's always nice to see new games for the old classic systems! I wish they had released Mega Man 9 as an optional cart version instead of just virtual Wii as I probably would have bought that. As a virtual title only it just seems to make it less for me somehow.

I finished the demo yesterday. Sure it's buggy and unbalanced (combat), but I liked it a lot. Even though it's just an intro quest, the plot hinted at and introduced is one that I really want more of. Not to mention that the game's really pretty...

it's a 64mbit cart too. That's huge/unheard of by genesis standards.

and if what I'm reading is correct (over on the forum) they found a way to play the cart version of the game and have it use music off of the CD version. That's a revolution. I wonder if either of my SegaCD units still work...

I tried out the demo on this game,the game shows a lot of promise.I noticed A few things.The collision detection was kinda off,and i got stuck in certain areas and couldn't move.Hopefully this isn't the finished version of the game.I think its cool there releasing this as A duo cartridge/cd game.I would slap down thirty five dollars for the preorder.Unfortunately I don`t have the funds right now.

Hi there!

I just found out about Atari Age having a Pier Solar thread and registered....

I am one of the gfx guys working on Pier Solar, and I want to say thank you for all your interest!

We are working hard on this, and we aim pretty high; we try to make this the best Genny-RPG out there, and at least visually I can guarantee there is some impressive stuff to come (the gameplay-quality of course will be up to the player to judge).

It´s really awesome getting all these positive reactions after years of work went into this game! Others told us it is impossible for homebrewers to do something complex like an RPG from scratch for the Mega Drive, yet we are close to seing the over 4 years of hard work pay off and bringing the first completely new RPG to the MD in this century!

We have the technically most advanced RPG on the system, with some really cool effects you have not seen in a MD-RPG yet; huge tilesets for very detailed maps, shadow and highlight mode that lets the game exceed the 64-color-limit of the MD, animated monsters (up to 4 different types, up to 8 monsters per fight), 5 party members in battle and lots more...

I hope you will all go on to support our efforts to revive the Mega Drive and encourage lots of coders to bring new games to the system!

As mentioned before we try to deliver the best game possible for a very low price:

To do this lots of memory is needed;

the cartridge will be the very first 64 Megabit cart on MD. Add to that a CD-ROM that let´s the music come from the MCD if you have one (never done before), multiple languages and nice extras...and we only ask for 35 $ including worldwide shipping for the classic version, which even includes goodies such as a poster. That´s our production cost, we do not earn anything from it. Then there is the 50 $ Posterity Edition limited to 500 copies, which will include some secret extras and your name in the game credits and manual; these 15 extra-Dollars are basically for us to be able to pay the production earlier and to cover all unexpected costs.

I´d be glad to answer all questions you might have here!

Say i am interested in your new game. A new RPG after all this time is pretty sweet. I ask this not to cause you any problems but just out of interest in my situation. I have a first gen Genesis with a replaced 68000 CPU to a 68010. It helps with slow down in many Sonic games and alot of standard games for the Genesis. It crashes with street fighter games and some of the Desert Strike games. Any idea if your coding done in your game will allow me to run it on my setup or would I need to play it on a stock system? If your intrested i could test a copy for you if you would like. ;) Thanks for your work on a new game!

Any idea if your coding done in your game will allow me to run it on my setup or would I need to play it on a stock system? If your intrested i could test a copy for you if you would like. ;) Thanks for your work on a new game!

Phew, that is a tough one. Honestly, I don´t know if it will run without problems. It has not yet been tested. you could test the beta-demo on a Flashcart if you have one though; sorry, we can´t send around test carts (even I do not have a prototype cart yet:D).

I think the safest bet would be to get a stock MD for a few Dollars....

BTW, your way of eliminating slow-down is quite unusual; my MD is overclocked to 10 Mhz, that does eliminate slow-down too, but has the advantage of being able to switch back to 7,68 Mhz if problems with some games arise.^^

I must see that I get complete copies of Spider-Man, Ghostbusters and Dig Dug for the 2600 again

Yeah, you have to do that!

Haha, yeah, it seems some games are still available sealed on eBay USA....

But on topic, we have brandnew screenshots of Pier Solar!

I believe they show another leap forward in visual quality. The new menue screen is shown as well. :P

piersolar_10_08_battlecanyon.jpgpiersolar_10_08_battlereja.jpg

piersolar_10_08_canyon.jpgpiersolar_10_08_edessot.jpg

piersolar_10_08_icecave.jpgpiersolar_10_08_lightsandfears.jpg

piersolar_10_08_rejaforest.jpgpiersolar_10_08_rockmountain.jpg

piersolar_10_08_timbervillage.jpgpiersolar_10_08_menu0.jpg