IGNORED

Berzerk 5200 vs Berzerk 800 - Something for Fandal

Heaven/TQA

Ok - I gotta ask - why?

Does the C64 not have a Berzerk clone of good quality?

Or is it a technical challenge?

sTeVE

There is a Berzerk for the C64 but it was developed only a few years ago, and with all respect to the guys who created it, they obviously never played the original arcade game (which they could have done easily using MAME).

As a former owner of the original arcade cabinet I can tell you that BY FAR the best home conversion (as I must say, usually) is on the Atari 800 machines. The 2600 version is not bad considering the limitations of the hardware and well the C64 may have a nice intro screen, but the MECHANICS of the game are simply completely off. the Robots don't behave like the arcade robots, the mazes are weird (although in all honesty, the algorithm for the A8 version is not exactly the same as the arcade either, which is a shame as it is really quite simple....) but all in all...the way you can manipulate robots to bump into each other, the way robots move towards you and often bump into walls, the way they should....about everything is almost spot on in the A8 version.

Considering the required hardware on the arcade machine (see picture) the A8 did a fantastic job.....even though it's not graphically intense...

PCB Drawer.jpg

• Like 1