IGNORED

65XE/800XE ?

Thelen

There are technically no differences, but the coponents used in the 800XE are crap and usually lead to the system crashing or programs not working due to version incompatibilities. Unless your looking for a collectors item, stay away from the 800XE!

Tempest

There are technically no differences, but the coponents used in the 800XE are crap and usually lead to the system crashing or programs not working due to version incompatibilities.  Unless your looking for a collectors item, stay away from the 800XE!

Hm, all XEs are same. Same parts, even same motherboards. No version incompatibilities. Everybody around here had 800/65XE. No problems. Could you post more details/prove that?

There are technically no differences, but the coponents used in the 800XE are crap and usually lead to the system crashing or programs not working due to version incompatibilities.  Unless your looking for a collectors item, stay away from the 800XE!

Tempest

What Matt is trying to say is the 800XE's were sold for the purpose of using up stores of assorted chips in Atari's oversea's warehouses, the 800XE's have many timing issues and lockup frequently, this was because they are assembled with various chips and components out of spec to work with one another. The 800XE's can be corrected with a little time and work to make them work properly, but quite frankly you're just better off using the 130XE instead. Its a nice collectors item though.

Curt

I would like to add to Curt point, is that all the 800xe assembled in china have a bug in GTIA chip.. they do not display GTIA color mode correctly..

in all my 800xe computers

yes, i have that problem too with both my 800xe's and even my 65xe doesn't display it correct. very stupid.

Thelen

I think it would be cool to get one of these just to exchange the top casing with my 130XE. I never liked the fact that the Tramiels totally changed the name of the 8-bit line of computers and would love to have my 130XE actually say 800XE to match the rest of the earlier 8-bit line, it would be cool, to me, just for the fun of it to have a "fake" 800XE(130XE) next to my 800 and my recently purchased 800XL...then I just need the 1200XL and I'd be happy with my collection. :D

Anyone have one they would want to sell for cheap or trade for an extra 130XE I have (this one does have a short in it somewhere which pops up occasionally and the computer shuts down and then reboots-but the short could be fixed, I just didn't want to bother, so I picked up a new one for $40) I also have a 4 switch "woody" 2600 with paddles and controllers and some carts, or a "woody" c-380 video pinball (Sears model) to trade. I might even part with one of my 3 1050's (US doubler enhanced).

A difference between the 65XE and 800XE is that a 800XE has a Extended Cartridge Interface (ECI) like the 130XE while the 65XE has a normal cartridge interface.

See http://www.silicium.org/atari/800xe.htm for some foto's of the back of all XE models aswell as the motherboard.

From the pictures you can see that the motherboard of the 130XE and 800XE are the same (8 ram chips and bankswitch PAL chip removed on the 800XE) while the 65XE has a different motherboard.

Robert

i opened up my 800XE and my 65XE, and they have both the same motherboards. also they have both the expansion+cartridge ports.

undernead the board is standing 130XE(64x4) and numbers.

So there are different 65XE motherboards, ones with expansion and without.

Thelen