IGNORED

>>> Carol Shaw <<<

Carpenter

Great bio, thanks for that :)

Curious that Tandem was formed by ex-HP employees as the technology (now called NonStop) is now once again owned by them following the merger with Compaq. I should know, I provide system support for that platform!

One fairly important typo in this, especially given the turn this thread took earlier!

Carol B. Shaw began his career at: Tandem Computers company founded in 1974 by a group of engineers from Hewlett-Packard: James Treybig, Mike Green, Jim Katzman, and Jack Loustaunou.

Should be "her"!

Great and informative article, though.

Great bio, thanks for that :)

Curious that Tandem was formed by ex-HP employees as the technology (now called NonStop) is now once again owned by them following the merger with Compaq. I should know, I provide system support for that platform!

In fact, we know that Carol Shaw worked at Tandem Computers (and according to some sources, she would have returned to business, but nothing confirmed) around, we can assume that it has joined the company after it has been formed at the university (which we can not know is when) and although we know that the beginning of its projection has been in Atari, Activision was in it stood out as a programmer.

But again I repeat, it would be interesting to find its path in Tandem Computers, for it was there that she learned the techniques of programming games, after all ,Nolan Bushnell and not to hire unless she had a Know How in the matter.

It may seem absurd (and believe me, I tried it in search of information) but if we could get in touch with former employees of the company that season, could collect data rather interesting, accurate and comprehensive on the subject.

'Mayhem' thanks for participation and for the words.

One fairly important typo in this, especially given the turn this thread took earlier!

Carol B. Shaw began his career at: Tandem Computers company founded in 1974 by a group of engineers from Hewlett-Packard: James Treybig, Mike Green, Jim Katzman, and Jack Loustaunou.

Should be "her"!

Great and informative article, though.

'Phaxda' my most sincere apologies to make a mistake like this, should have done a review of text more precisa.E the friends I apologize for my bad English, I never went to a school of languages, learned something about myself.

But I already did the fix, and thank you for showing me where other, please, not only you but the other friends, feel free to speak and show me. Our goal is to promote an article and a supplement of quality here for the friends of Atari Age. I am happy with the praise, but also love the criticism, they help us to always be improving.

'Phaxda',Thanks for reading our article and supplement. And are glad you enjoyed.

Carol is in-fact retired. If I remember correctly her and her husband were in the process of moving down to Georgia when last I spoke with her. This was a year or so ago. I have her addy and phone number 'round somewhere. ... and "YES. She's been out of games now for awhile now too."

Her husband got a good gig at Georgia Tech, hence the move.

- K

Carol is in-fact retired. If I remember correctly her and her husband were in the process of moving down to Georgia when last I spoke with her. This was a year or so ago. I have her addy and phone number 'round somewhere. ... and "YES. She's been out of games now for awhile now too."

Her husband got a good gig at Georgia Tech, hence the move.

- K

Klove, I am grateful for the comment, updates and information now. If you had the opportunity to read my work, we have photos and information dating from 1996, but the date of which has posted about a year ago and already it helps us and a lot. If I may like to put that into my work, obviously recognizing it was you who sent this information, we can use it?

One thing that caught my attention and the fact may have known the couple, it would be very interesting if you could tell us a little about Carol Shaw as a person, this was also one of the goals of my work, show the personal side. But I think it would be an abuse of my part.

Do not know how this information was important. Klove thank you.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

My new interview with Carol is posted today:

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-294-carol-shaw-atari-and-activision

Carol Shaw, Atari and Activision

Carol Shaw was a software engineer at Atari from August 1978 though 1980. She programmed for the Atari 2600 and Atari 8-bit computers. She programmed on 3-D Tic Tac Toe for the Atari 800 and 2600; and the math application Calculator. She worked on Video Checkers, Othello, and Super Breakout for the 2600. She also co-wrote the Atari BASIC Reference Manual. Carol joined Activision in 1982, where she created the hit game River Raid, which she programmed for the 2600 then ported to the Atari 8-bit computers, and Happy Trails for the Intellivision.
This interview took place on June 29, 2017.
"Originally it was going to be a boat going up a river, but my boat was kind of boring looking ... How about an airplane going up a river? We'll have it kind of a canyon or something like that."
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...