IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 10: Solar Plexus

Ze_ro

How exactly does one access the easter egg game? I am absolutely terrible at finding these things so I'd appreciate it if someone just disclosed how it's done. Otherwise I'll probably never find it. :|

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left Difficulty B, Left Difficulty A, Reset.

Thank you very much. You wouldn't happen to know what the significance of the phrase "I am not" utilized as the paddle would you? Just curious.

240 Egg Game. :cool:

post-10357-1226461999_thumb.png

Nice Easter Egg score! I've repeated my 210 a few times but can seem to get past it.

Thanks. I guess I've played Pong way too many times. :P

I have got better on the regular game though.

post-10944-1226467891_thumb.jpg

Wow. That's impressive. How did you keep out of sun(s) path for so long? I seemed to hit my plateau around 12k.

How exactly does one access the easter egg game? I am absolutely terrible at finding these things so I'd appreciate it if someone just disclosed how it's done. Otherwise I'll probably never find it. :|

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left Difficulty B, Left Difficulty A, Reset.

Thank you very much. You wouldn't happen to know what the significance of the phrase "I am not" utilized as the paddle would you? Just curious.

I'll field this one! Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start is the Konami code. Entering this in Konami video games typically gives you extra lives or other benefits. However, there was one game by Asmik called Cosmic Epsilon that turned the Konami code on its ear. If you entered the code in that game, you would get an angry message at the bottom of the screen that warned you, "I AM NOT KONANI," a misspelled reference to Konami. This was my tribute to that clever Easter Egg. You'll notice that the little ball you're hitting with your paddle is actually the Konami four flags logo.

I'll field this one! Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start is the Konami code. Entering this in Konami video games typically gives you extra lives or other benefits. However, there was one game by Asmik called Cosmic Epsilon that turned the Konami code on its ear. If you entered the code in that game, you would get an angry message at the bottom of the screen that warned you, "I AM NOT KONANI," a misspelled reference to Konami. This was my tribute to that clever Easter Egg. You'll notice that the little ball you're hitting with your paddle is actually the Konami four flags logo.

Ah... I've also been curious about the meaning of this easter egg, good to finally know what it's all about. :D

Btw., is there any chance we'll see a solar plexus 2 one day?

It depends on whether or not we'll see that Vectrex BASIC compiler from Martijn Wenting. I wanted to write SPIV (Solar Plexus in Vertical) for the Vectrex but that's never going to happen until development for the Vectrex becomes practical. I've also considered an expanded game, Solar Nexus, with a wide variety of play styles all using the same basic control scheme. The 5200 is more than powerful enough to handle it, and there's already a BASIC compiler available for that system... the only trick is to figure out how the graphics commands work, because they totally leave me confused.

It depends on whether or not we'll see that Vectrex BASIC compiler from Martijn Wenting. I wanted to write SPIV (Solar Plexus in Vertical) for the Vectrex but that's never going to happen until development for the Vectrex becomes practical. I've also considered an expanded game, Solar Nexus, with a wide variety of play styles all using the same basic control scheme. The 5200 is more than powerful enough to handle it, and there's already a BASIC compiler available for that system... the only trick is to figure out how the graphics commands work, because they totally leave me confused.

I have nothing against the Vectrex or the 5200 but i actually meant a sequel for the 2600, or are you done with 2600-programming? (just wondering...)

Mmmmmaybe. Maybe probably. I haven't used Batari BASIC in close to three years and I'm not sure just where I'd pick up from there. Even after three years of improvements, there's a lot of stuff bB can't do that could be better handled by more versatile compilers on more powerful systems. Plus, I can't help but think that Solar Plexus would look really, really cool in vector graphics.

I'll let you in on a little secret, though. Way back in late 2005 I thought about following up on Solar Plexus with a game following the life cycle of the common spider. Basically you hang from a thread anchored to the top of the screen, then blast insects that fly by with droplets of venom. You then move down the strand to grab the bugs (taking care not to collide with other flying insects) then drag it up to make a feast for your offspring. Then after collecting x number of bugs, your spider dies and the next generation wafts through the air on a gossamer strand, dodging oncoming objects until it finds its new home. The the cycle repeats. It's kind of like a reverse Spider Fighter meets the time attack mode from Balloon Fight on the NES.

Very interesting story. I never would have guessed that.