IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 14: Sky Diver

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Your initial task is to guide the Sky Diver onto the landing pad. Your ultimate task is to score more points than your opponent. To hit the landing pad and score points you must:

• Release the Sky Diver from the airplane.
  • Open the parachute.
  • Control the downward drift of the Sky Diver.
  • Land squarely on the pad at the bottom of the screen.

s_SkyDiver_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Sky Diver
  • Released By: Atari, 1978
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Slow Planes
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: toymailman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday December 10th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 99 (Omegamatrix) [+11]
    99 (jjd) [+11]
    99 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 98 (aftermac) [+10]
  3. 97 (DarthCalvin) [+9]
    97 (toymailman) [+9]
  4. 96 (ClassicGMR) [+8]
    96 (darthkur) [+8]
  5. 85 (Mister VCS) [+7]
  6. 76 (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  7. 62 (Impaler_26) [+5]
  8. 44 (Kurt_Woloch) [+4]

Best Tips
  • LarcenTyler [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 99 (8 different people)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [137]
  2. Deteacher [129]
  3. DarthCalvin [98]
  4. darthkur [83]
  5. aftermac [81]
  6. jjd [60]
  7. SpiceWare [52]
  8. the 5th ghost [47]
  9. Hornpipe2 [47]
  10. Impaler_26 [44]
  11. Kurt_Woloch [40]
  12. Nathan Strum [30]
  13. Mister VCS [28]
  14. Zoyx [22]
  15. LarcenTyler [20]
  16. Spector [20]
  17. Jess Ragan [14]
  18. iangamer [14]
  19. homerwannabee [11]
  20. midnight magicman [11]
  21. LoneWolfSeth [11]
  22. shadow460 [11]
  23. ClassicGMR [10]
  24. Random Terrain [10]
  25. maf [9]
  26. Omegamatrix [8]
  27. missioncontrol [8]
  28. SeaGtGruff [8]
  29. chuckwalla [7]
  30. LS_Dracon [7]
  31. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  32. phaxda [5]
  33. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  34. rheffera [2]
  35. ratfink [2]
  36. Yar76 [1]
  37. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Sky Diver
  • Score extra points by opening your parachute later.
  • You lose 4 points every time your skydiver crashes into the ground.

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a scanned copy and a typed copyavailable online. While the manual doesn't provide any specific hints, I highly suggest you read it, as the gameplay here is somewhat unusual.
LarcenTyler
-Keep an eye on the wind indicator. The more it points in one direction the less you'll be able to steer against it. Meaning that if the wind is pointing in one direction fully, you won't be able to move against it. You can move into it to remain in a straight downfall, but your best bet is to jump so that you're blown towards the target once your chute opens.

-Try to open your parachute a little after the halfway mark. Be careful, though, since if you wait too long, your parachute won't open at all.

-Also remember that in order for it to count as having touched the target, both of the parachutist's feet have to be on the target. This isn't horseshoes, people!
jjd
The left side of the landing pad is more forgiving than the right. Your foot can be one pixel off of the pad on the left but must be completely on the pad on the right in order to score points.

--Zero

66 Points, not bad.

You might want to add that every time your skydiver crashes into the ground, you get a 4 point penalty to your score.

My personal tips:

-Keep an eye on the wind indicator. The more it points in one direction the less you'll be able to steer against it. Meaning that if the wind is pointing in one direction fully, you won't be able to move against it. You can move into it to remain in a straight downfall, but your best bet is to jump so that you're blown towards the target once your chute opens.

-Try to open your parachute a little after the halfway mark. Be careful, though, since if you wait too long, your parachute won't open at all.

-Also remember that in order for it to count as having touched the target, both of the parachutist's feet have to be on the target. This isn't horseshoes, people!

Edited by LarcenTyler

My best so far is

It was surprisingly difficult to get from 97 to 99.

One tip...

The left side of the landing pad is more forgiving than the right. Your foot can be one pixel off of the pad on the left but must be completely on the pad on the right in order to score points.

post-19381-1228484155_thumb.jpg

post-19381-1228502722_thumb.png

post-19381-1228515535_thumb.png

Edited by jjd

Hmmm...how many sky divers are people getting? I am counting 9 during my games. The highest point total I can get on a single dive is 11. To get a 99 I need perfect on all dives. It is tough for me. Also, I'm not losing 4 points when my diver crashes; it simply counts for 0. Are there different ROMS floating around? :ponder:

Hmmm...how many sky divers are people getting? I am counting 9 during my games. The highest point total I can get on a single dive is 11. To get a 99 I need perfect on all dives. It is tough for me. Also, I'm not losing 4 points when my diver crashes; it simply counts for 0. Are there different ROMS floating around? :ponder:

Just nine divers. Yep, you have to get them all to land perfect. Just takes pratice.

The game should deduct 4 points if you miss the go splat. I'm not talking about missing the pad; I'm talking about crashing in the ground. If your doesn't then maybe there is an alternate rom. Can you verify that yours doesn't? Try a few of the difficult switches. If it is an alternate I offer my services to help you dump it. :D

Also it will not deduct points if you are already at zero.