IGNORED

ICD MIO power supply...

peteym5

From the 8bit Faq's:

Multi I/O (MIO), all versions, can use both AC and DC supplies, BUT:

stick to voltages of at least 6.2-7.2 V.

On 2003.09.01 James Bradford wrote: "Doesn't matter what polarity the

centre is, the MIO has a fullwave bridge rectifer in it.

AC would be better because the diodes would be used half the time."

http://www.dropmail.com/MIO/

If its a 1meg MIO, you really should use a PSU that has 1amp(1000ma) or better...

Also, I would NOT use a DC power supply..

The Rectifier diodes are bad about frying on these units, and if you use DC, you are only using 2 of the diodes in the rectifier bridge at all times, instead of "alternating" between all 4.

(This is what James Bradford was talking about in the above referenced faq... It may seem like a stupid/trivial concern, but trust me, it needs all the help it can get.. especially if its a 1meg model)

Most people use a 1050 power supply.. It is 9 volts AC and has plenty of current capacity..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Most people use a 1050 power supply.. It is 9 volts AC and has plenty of current capacity..

Hmmm... Mine actually came with a 9VDC power supply. Led got this one from ICD when he worked there - maybe there is something different about it?

At any rate, I still have to docs you sent me on attaching my own power supply to it and I intend to do that after Xmas.

Hmmm... Mine actually came with a 9VDC power supply. Led got this one from ICD when he worked there - maybe there is something different about it?

At any rate, I still have to docs you sent me on attaching my own power supply to it and I intend to do that after Xmas.

Nope.. Its designed for an AC psu... As long as your diodes are "beefy" enough, I wouldnt worry about it.. But Ive only ever seen one production MIO board revision from ICD... and its definitely got a bridge rectifier on it (the diodes that are famous for burning up and damaging the board). Later units were built with better diodes, and a TRUCKLOAD of MIOs were returned to ICD to get "updated" for this, among other problems..

But if youve got an extra 800/1050/1200XL/XF551 9vac PSU brick laying around, I'd definitely choose that over a DC PSU.. especially if it's a toaster oven... ooops.. I mean a 1meg MIO.. Also, if it doesnt have the "vented end plates", leave the end-plates off. Otherwise, you are trapping a great deal of heat inside the enclosure..

If you REALLY wanna do things "right" then get an old non-ATX PC/XT power supply.. Now look at the floppy-drive connector.. Cut the yellow wire, and the black wire thats right next to the yellow.. You should have a red wire and a black wire left... Plug this into J7, with the red wire towards the FRONT of the MIO.. (pin 7 or 8 ).. This will bypass the regulator/recifier circuits completely and supply very nice/smooth 5vdc power to the MIO with lots of current capacity..

BUT.... If you have an early serial number MIO that hasnt been upgraded, this wont work because the phase locked loop IC (u19) works off of 12v...

You can tell this by looking at the part number on U19... MC14046 = old 12v part.. 74HC4046 = New 5v part... Also, if it has the newer design, VR2 should not be populated, and there should be a "blue wire" going from VR2's solder-pad (the one closest to the RAM) to some 5v source on the MIO board.. (usually pin 7 or 8 of J7)...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Hey Thankyou guys, do have a 1050 power supply here, plus have many 12 volt power supplies, but not going to go to far out of its normal voltage range. I am trying to retrieve old games I wrote off of a HD Setup we did over a decade ago. That is if I can get the thing to work. If not, I might have to send it to someone and see if they can retrieve it. I am not too sure if I have to input any HD configuration when I get a menu to come up.

When I boot the thing up, all I get is a dark brown screen and nothing else. Wonder if something is fried on its circuit board. Wonder if I can track down another one cheap. It is a 256k model, not 1MB.

You have to make sure the MIO is on before you attempt to power up the atari.

If it still doesnt work, try removing the EPROM..

If it will let the machine boot without the ROM installed, download realdos from http://www.tcpipexpress.com

and boot the machine with realdos via SIO2PC or whatever...

Then run MIODIAG.COM from the realdos distro..

This wil let you run tests on the RAM and other misc stuff..

If everything tests ok, then try replacing the EPROM..

bridge at all times, instead of "alternating" between all 4.

(This is what James Bradford was talking about in the above referenced faq... It may seem like a stupid/trivial concern, but trust me, it needs all the help it can get.. especially if its a 1meg model)

It is nice to see that I am sometimes right in a round about kind of way.

And said info is included in a Faq.

Not bad for someone who failed english and it is my only language.

Tip. When I used Atariwriter +, I put the spell checker data disk image on a MIO ramdisk and set it as D2:. Should see it fly through the text then.

James

bridge at all times, instead of "alternating" between all 4.

It is nice to see that I am sometimes right in a round about kind of way.

And said info is included in a Faq.

Not bad for someone who failed english and it is my only language.

Tip. When I used Atariwriter +, I put the spell checker data disk image on a MIO ramdisk and set it as D2:. Should see it fly through the text then.

James

What does this have to do with my MIO board not working and Hard Drives? Certainly failed English and has not been keeping up with what is going on with this thread.

One thing I would try is to clean the edge connector on the XL with a normal eraser. geting one small enough to fit might be a bit hard.

After 25+ years, the connector may have some dirt in the wrong spot.

Connect/disconect several times may also help.

James

A (smoker's) pipe cleaner sprayed with contact cleaner works well for me on edge connectors. My favorite is CAIG DeoxIT. Probably the best you can still buy in the US.

http://www.caig.com/

-Larry

• 2 years later...

MEtalGuy66 with the save, once again :)

You have to make sure the MIO is on before you attempt to power up the atari.

If it still doesnt work, try removing the EPROM..

If it will let the machine boot without the ROM installed, download realdos from http://www.tcpipexpress.com

and boot the machine with realdos via SIO2PC or whatever...

Then run MIODIAG.COM from the realdos distro..

This wil let you run tests on the RAM and other misc stuff..

If everything tests ok, then try replacing the EPROM..

I guess you get no MIO firmware screen if you hold select when you turn on the Atari? I've noticed if I turn the MIO on but not the HDD I get a few seconds of black screen when I boot the XL. Do you get a normal screen or just nothing?

Edited by spookt

• 4 years later...

Hello all after all this time I still have this the hard drive with the Atari partitions. Someone did mention they have one of these MIO ICD devices I can barrow. Looking at other solutions also. I am wondering also would a BlackBox work to retrieve the information or a PCI SCSI with partition recovery software be able to retrieve what is on the hard drive. I could just make disk images and access through Altirra.

All I was getting a blank green screen. Nothing comes up.

Hello all after all this time I still have this the hard drive with the Atari partitions. Someone did mention they have one of these MIO ICD devices I can barrow. Looking at other solutions also. I am wondering also would a BlackBox work to retrieve the information or a PCI SCSI with partition recovery software be able to retrieve what is on the hard drive. I could just make disk images and access through Altirra.

yes the blackbox will read MIO drives by simply flipping a swich, it's in the manual one of the features Bob Puff put in it

What are you trying in order to get a blank green screen? A PC PCI SCSI adapter? Is this a SCSI hard drive?

Edited by russg

Plugging in the unit turning it on then turning on the computer.

I'm still not understanding. You have a hard drive, a SCSI one I guess, with a 50 pin port and a four pin power jack. The only Atari thing you can plug it into is

a MIO or Black Box. The only PC thing you can plug it into is a SCSI PCI adapter or MFM/RLL ports. If you had a MIO or BB, you'd not need help. If you're using PC

SCSI, MFM or RLL ports and power source, and a green monochrome monitor, and an old DOS, XP or win95/98 PC, you'd get the green screen, I guess.

What you want is somebody with a MIO or BB to loan/use for you.

excuse me: 46 pin SCSI port.

Edited by russg

It is a green screen on the Atari with the MIO hooked up. Suggested using a PC with a SCSI card as a possible cheap solution to copy the image/partitions and make an image that can accessed with an emulator. But I am not sure how the partition table is saved or is identical to the way MS-DOS does it.

It is a green screen on the Atari with the MIO hooked up. Suggested using a PC with a SCSI card as a possible cheap solution to copy the image/partitions and make an image that can accessed with an emulator. But I am not sure how the partition table is saved or is identical to the way MS-DOS does it.

The MIO, by itself, should boot to READY prompt, I think. SELECT/RESET should give you the setup menu. Maybe something wrong with the MIO. My

MIO came with a 9.3 volt DC 1.95 amp power adapter. Somebody said don't use DC pwr spl with MIO. I guess a 9v AC ps might work, but I wouldn't try it

with my 1 meg MIO.