IGNORED

HSC Season 1 Week 1: Donkey Kong

You are a workman named Mario who climbs girders and ladders and will stop at nothing to save his stolen love from the clutches of the giant ape. Using the joystick and the Jump button, you maneuver Mario over rolling barrels, away from falling barrels, over or away from fireballs and cement tubs, away from bouncing rivets, up and down ladders, along girders and conveyor belts, onto elevators, over rivets to remove them and over dangerous crevices, to get to where the ape holds the girl captive. For additional points, Mario gathers umbrellas, hats, purses and other bonus items that the girl has dropped on her way to the top of the building. Mario can also grab a hammer (by jumping up to it) to smash barrels, fireballs, and cement tubs for additional points but the hammer can only be used for a limited amount of time.

post-9712-1231003338_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Donkey Kong

Released By: Nintendo, 1981

Game Mode: Default settings: 3 Lives, Bonus life at 7,000 points.

MAME ROMset: US Set 1

Chosen By: Theking21083

Post your scores in this thread and I will update the leaderboard throughout the week. The deadline for posting scores will be Saturday, January 10th, 2009 @ 12:00 Noon (EST)

BONUS POINTS: The player with the best tips submitted will earn +2 bonus points this week.

CURRENT STANDINGS

1. 127,100 (theking21803)

2. 93,600 (Spiceware)

3. 80,700 (Dr Galaga)

4. 63,800 (Shannon)

5. 50,600 (maibock)

6. 26,800 (rxd)

7. 16,800 (aftermac)

8. 16,700 (maximebeauvais)

9. 14,900 (Artlover)

10. 9,200 (LarcenTyler)

BEST TIP

theking21803: "To get past the springs you have to run to the left of the ladder when a spring hits the ground just left of the ladder. Then wait for a spring to hit dead center of the yellow elevator block and as it goes over your head run right and dash up the ladder." +2

Edited by Deteacher

Tip: The hammer lasts longer if it's destroying things, so grab it when there's a good supply of stuff to bash with it.

Climbing a ladder and having one hand resting on the deck above reduces the chance of a barrel coming down the ladder. But, this mightn't be the case on later ROM sets.

Score: I'll give it a go later and put something up if I go any good.

Re different sets, level orders - AFAIK, the US configuation was local to that market only - the rest of the world got machines that followed the Japanese patterns.

One thing you might want to mention is to make sure that you are using US Set 2 when playing in MAME. It should say Nintendo of America on the title screen. US set 1 has some bugs in it and the Japan set has a different level layout.

Thanks for the clarification on the ROM set. I've added it to the game information in my first post. If anyone has used US Set 1 up until now, those scores will still be accepted, but I'll urge everyone to use US set 2 from now on, especially if it's less buggy. :)

Tip: The hammer lasts longer if it's destroying things, so grab it when there's a good supply of stuff to bash with it.

Climbing a ladder and having one hand resting on the deck above reduces the chance of a barrel coming down the ladder. But, this mightn't be the case on later ROM sets.

Score: I'll give it a go later and put something up if I go any good.

Re different sets, level orders - AFAIK, the US configuation was local to that market only - the rest of the world got machines that followed the Japanese patterns.

oooh nice tips.. never knew about the "hand on deck" trick.. will give it a shot next go.

I thought this worked only on the Japanese version?

Some guy has a break down of how the barrels work here

I thought this worked only on the Japanese version?

I saw that too, but I tried it and it seemed to work. Of course, I'm horrible at the game and can only complete the first couple of levels....I have a terrible time with those silly lifts on the third. :(

This is one of the bugs that was removed in US set 2. In my opinion it is breaking one of the rules of this HSC which is not to use bugs to your advantage. That is why US set 2 is the ROM set that should be used. It also takes out the bug that alows you to skip the barrel stage.

ended the game, once again, on the top ladder on the elevator level.. can't seem to find the right pattern for the springs.

To get past the springs you have to run to the left of the ladder when a spring hits the ground just left of the ladder. Then wait for a spring to hit dead center of the yellow elevator block and as it goes over your head run right and dash up the ladder.

This is one of the bugs that was removed in US set 2. In my opinion it is breaking one of the rules of this HSC which is not to use bugs to your advantage. That is why US set 2 is the ROM set that should be used. It also takes out the bug that alows you to skip the barrel stage.

I never heard of the skip the barrel stage bug.. How is that done? Couldn't even find this with a search

One thing you might want to mention is to make sure that you are using US Set 2 when playing in MAME. It should say Nintendo of America on the title screen.

Ok, lets all stop for a minute, because that's incorrect.

US Set 1 (dkong.zip) is the one that says "Nintendo of Amercia" in the title.

US Set 2 (dkongo.zip) is the one that says only "Nintendo" in the title.

All the rom sites confirm this, so does MAME.

So if it says "Nintendo of Amercia", you're NOT playing US Set 2.

It also takes out the bug that alows you to skip the barrel stage.
I never heard of the skip the barrel stage bug.. How is that done? Couldn't even find this with a search

The barrel stage skip bug effects Crazy Kong, not Donkey Kong.

How to do it in CK - Climb up the first ladder. take one step to the right, then jump off to the right, you'll bounce off the side of the playfield and fall through the floor and the level ends with Kong grabing the woman and climbs up to the next stage.

Edited by Artlover

Your right Artlover, that was my mistake, I mixed up the Rom sets. The one we should be playing is US Rom set 1. Sorry for all of the confusion guys. Deteacher could you please correct this for us. I appologise for any issues that this may have caused.