IGNORED

To blank line or not to blank line

jbs30000

As I'm working on my game and working out the bugs, one thing I can't decide on, should I use no_blank_lines or not? I'm leaning against it, but I'm curious what others think. Below are a couple of snapshots, including one from the actual arcade game that I'm basing this game on. What looks better, lines or no lines?

post-12524-1231911699_thumb.pngpost-12524-1231911763_thumb.png post-12524-1231911771_thumb.png

As I'm working on my game and working out the bugs, one thing I can't decide on, should I use no_blank_lines or not? I'm leaning against it, but I'm curious what others think. Below are a couple of snapshots, including one from the actual arcade game that I'm basing this game on. What looks better, lines or no lines?

post-12524-1231911699_thumb.pngpost-12524-1231911763_thumb.png post-12524-1231911771_thumb.png

I think no blank lines looks better, except for the fact that the color changes on the last line (if there's a color change from one row to the next). If you can space the playfield rows apart so the color changes are hidden (by an empty row), or if you can work in the color changes so they look good (such as brown dirt under the green grass), then I'd say go with the no blank lines option. But if it's too hard to avoid unwanted color changes, then maybe the blank lines would look better.

It's too bad there's no way to mix the two on the same screen-- some rows with blank lines, and some rows with no blank lines. I wonder how hard it would be to customize the kernel to do that? :ponder:

Michael

It's too bad there's no way to mix the two on the same screen-- some rows with blank lines, and some rows with no blank lines. I wonder how hard it would be to customize the kernel to do that? :ponder:

Michael

Great question. I've been trying to experiment with blank lines in a project, without much luck. Is there a good thread that explains how blank lines operate in the bB kernel?

Jarod.

I don't think I'd have come up with the word "texture", but yeah I get that. I can't explain any better, but they look more refined, more detailed and just more pleasant/interesting to look at.

Without seeing the examples, I believe I would have thought the opposite.

Edited by BigO

I don't think I'd have come up with the word "texture", but yeah I get that. I can't explain any better, but they look more refined, more detailed and just more pleasant/interesting to look at.

Without seeing the examples, I believe I would have thought the opposite.

Well, part of the reason I’m thinking of leaving the lines in, is that the shapes look a little bit better. With no blank lines, some objects look kind of square when they’re not supposed to. Of course also, all the objects look solid, which is nice.

Can the question-mark-blocks be done without blank lines? It would be easier to distinguish them from the stones.

As you can see, I’m making the question-mark-blocks hollow, and the other blocks solid. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough playfield pixels put question marks inside of the blocks.

I like it better without the blank lines, but I think the real question is where are you going to get the cycles for a scrolling playfield? Without that, it isn't smb, or even anything like it.

I thought about trying to make it scroll, but for a lot of reasons I’m not going to. Also, this is only going to be World 1-1 more than likely. If it turns out OK, I might go back and try to improve it, as well as do the other levels. But, except for the scrolling, I’m going to try and make this level as faithful to the original as possible, if I can.

Can the question-mark-blocks be done without blank lines? It would be easier to distinguish them from the stones.

I think it would be nice to use the ball-sprite for the blocks but then you could only have one block per screen... :ponder:

Hmmm, or I could draw the screen more than once, and each time place the ball in a different location, but I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do with the other player sprite if there's more than one enemy on the screen at the same time. Anyway, just making the question mark boxes hollow works. And they won't flicker like they would if I used the ball.

Edited by jbs30000

• 6 years later...

It matters because player0's model requires color, and player1's model is just one straight color. That's why i need them backwards.

If you are talking about the sprite frames and color data, just change the numbers. For example, change player0color: to player1color: and player0: to player1:.

So you're wanting Player0 to be single color and have colors for Player1 and still have "no blank lines" enabled, right? If that's the case then you could just change which sprite your are controlling with the joystick and whatever effects to that particular sprite.

What I meant by changing the colors to match is that if you have lines in your playfield that you don't want then change the background to that color and they will disappear. In Titan Axe use this method to eliminate much of the lines in the playfield by blending it in with the background color.