IGNORED

Looking for a Sega CD 2 expert please

ddaniels

I just received from Ebay a Sega CD 2. When I connected it up to my Genesis 2, plugged in both power cords and hit the power button I see on the tv the Sega cd screen with music playing. A message on screen says to insert a cd. No matter what cd I try (Sega cd or music cd) I get a message after a few moments to push start. I push start and now I'm looking at a screen that looks like a cd player (start,stop,forward buttons,etc) with the message to insert a cd. I decided to disconnect everything (what do I have to lose at this point) and remove the screws from the bottom of the cd player. Upon watching it function while opened carefully with the sega genesis connected and power reconnected, I noticed that the disc does not spin at all. If I move the laser lens manually away from the disc I can hear it moving back into place all the while the disc sits idle. Could the motor that spins the cd be bad? How hard is it to find this part? Has anyone taken one of these apart and fixed it? Most of the problems that I read in regards to this model seem to do with a fuse. I can't see how this fuse is bad on my unit as it's powering up but not spining the disc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I passed this along to the guys at the sega-16 forum, hopefully they can help out. If the motor is gone, afaik, it cn be replaced with a similar one. There's a lot more to it, someone from over there may chime in.

Hi Nathanallan,

I appreciate your help. I did notice your name popup on a site (can't remember which one) while googling for Sega cd 2 guides. I see how you repaired a Sega cd 1. Do you know of a place that still works on these? On the other hand, I wonder if it would be cheaper to just let this one go and find a working one on Ebay????? I'm up for the challenge and can handle a soldering iron if needed.

I passed this along to the guys at the sega-16 forum, hopefully they can help out. If the motor is gone, afaik, it cn be replaced with a similar one. There's a lot more to it, someone from over there may chime in.

Hi Nathanallan,

I appreciate your help. I did notice your name popup on a site (can't remember which one) while googling for Sega cd 2 guides. I see how you repaired a Sega cd 1. Do you know of a place that still works on these? On the other hand, I wonder if it would be cheaper to just let this one go and find a working one on Ebay????? I'm up for the challenge and can handle a soldering iron if needed.

It could be that the eye is bad/dirty/disconnected or something along those lines. I know some systems won't even bother to spin up if the eye can't 'see' the disc. Have you tried cleaning it?

Hi Nathanallan,

It could be that the eye is bad/dirty/disconnected or something along those lines. I know some systems won't even bother to spin up if the eye can't 'see' the disc. Have you tried cleaning it?

Hi,

Actually, I used a lint free cloth to clean off the lens. I was thinking the same thing. The laser seemed to be connected properly as far as I can tell.

I work on this kind of thing, but shipping has been going through the roof lately so I haven't been telling many people about shipping in repair jobs.

Things to check:

use a different power supply; if it doesn't give enough power, the hardware won't move (but the thing will boot up)

check to see if the power connector is loose or dirty

if this fails...

the motor or controller may be at fault, they are a matched set as far as I can tell. Similar parts may be found, but most likely not exact.

I'm getting this information from the forums and great people at sega-16, they deserve credit here.

Check the output of the power supply, and just get another beefier one if you can-- 9-12vdc, tip NEGATIVE, 1.2 or more amps.

Hope this helps.

Sega-16 thread:LINK

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

It could be that the motor that runs the laser back and forth has given out. If I remember right, those are prone to peter out pretty easily. Unfortunately, the SCD2 wasn't very well built, and they go tits up fairly easily. They are fairly cheap, however, and still very easy to get your hands on.