IGNORED

N64 Homebrew

Bowser N64

Of course I would love to emulate the SNES and NES and what not on N64. That way I can plug N64 into our big ol' HD TV and enjoy 16:9 MArio WOrld and stuff! Ooh..and Mario Bros. 2! IF.......it works that way.

again, you are going to run into problems and disappointment trying to use the n64 to emulate. If you've used DS homebrew you already know how poorly the DS emulates the SNES, well the n64 would be even worse. You might as well forget that. It can barely emulate the NES and it does so by skipping frames. I remember your thread regarding the Gameshark, if you ever got yours working you can use the shark and Super Mario 64 to see what emulating a NES is like on a 64 and believe me it is nothing to write home about. Again I'm going to recommend you use the PSP for SNES emulation. You can emulate several platforms on the DS too (Game boy color use lameboy, Atari 8bit use Pokeyds(with poor sound), c64 use frodo, and the NES, Apple II etc...). Either would be a better bet than the n64 but for anything 16-bit or above you need something with more horsepower than the DS.

And the DS, well I already have DS Organize on that which I use for writing, but it takes a long time to type one letter at a time with a touchscreen. DS emulates the SNES fairly well, and it emulates the NES perfectly in my opinion. Game Boy Color runs great too.

Edited by Bowser N64

And the DS, well I already have DS Organize on that which I use for writing, but it takes a long time to type one letter at a time with a touchscreen. DS emulates the SNES fairly well, and it emulates the NES perfectly in my opinion. Game Boy Color runs great too.

The DS in my experience emulates 8bit platforms (Atari8, Apple II, C64, GB/GBC,NES, SMS and prob Turbografx (havent tried it yet) very well. Once you get into 16-bit platforms (ST, Genesis, SNES etc..) it does not have enough horse power to play any games at full speed without making comprimises (frame skipping, custom hacks etc..)

You should be able to find a older PC with Word for either next to nothing or literally free (try freecycle in your area) or even an old thinkpad laptop running 98 or something. Even an older power pc mac or imac would do the job and can be found free or for next to nothing. One of the above would be much better than a PSP for doing creative writing. Not to mention it would be better at running emulators too!!! You could even fool around with linux on your older pc and make it look somewhat modern plus use something like Open Office (a free office alternative) to do your writing. I really think that would be your most practical option. You don't want to spend a lot of time worrying about your crazy proprietary PSP with keyboard hacked word processor when you should be concentrating on writing.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Er yeah, I said the same thing... :roll: but you said your parents wouldn't let you have a PC in your room. But clearly, getting a PC (Windows/Linux/Mac) to do the job of a PC is obviously the best solution here. Anything else is a ridiculous kludge.

Er yeah, I said the same thing... :roll: but you said your parents wouldn't let you have a PC in your room. But clearly, getting a PC (Windows/Linux/Mac) to do the job of a PC is obviously the best solution here. Anything else is a ridiculous kludge.

I'm sure what his parents object to is having the "Internet" in his room. This new old pc/mac is going to be used for pretty much word processing and maybe to satisfy some of his urges in emulation etc.. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet or even have a printer (he can sneaker net whatever he writes to the family computer and print it up.

I'm sure what his parents object to is having the "Internet" in his room. This new old pc/mac is going to be used for pretty much word processing and maybe to satisfy some of his urges in emulation etc.. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet or even have a printer (he can sneaker net whatever he writes to the family computer and print it up.

Yeah, I considered that as well, which is why I said he should just have a talk with them about what he wants a computer in his room for, and they'd probably (maybe) understand and let him get a cheap older one.

"The best thing though would be for you to just have a talk with your parents if you haven't already tried, and tell them that you want to write stories and whatnot, and that's all you want a computer for. Maybe they would understand and just let you get one. Even an old P2/P3, or heck, even a 386/486... a C64, whatever... would work better for your purpose, and would be far cheaper."

But anyway, at least he finally got the point driven home to him. That's the important part.

Edited by Mirage1972

About the only possibility for N64 would be porting a game from another system. Though that's probably not possible. There were some canceled games, but usually they were no where near complete. I concur I wouldn't emulate anything on an N64. A flash cart would be cool, but so would a reasonable one for the SNES or Genesis. Really the NES ones by retrousb are the only worthwhile flashcarts above the classic systems (CV, Atari, Intelli).

There were some canceled games, but usually they were no where near complete.

We were working on Rollerball when the remake of the movie came out. It actually was pretty close to complete before MGM pulled the plug on it.

--Selgus

I've noticed some early PS2 games were originally in development for the n64 and then quickly redone for Sony's system when the market for n64 games dryed up suddenly. This could explain why there aren't too many unfinished games on the n64. If you think about it the n64 w/memory expansion despite it's weird limitations sort of had one one foot in the next gen with it's 3d capabilities (especially if the game didn't need highly detailed textures) and hi-res mode compared to it's contemporaries.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

There were some canceled games, but usually they were no where near complete.

We were working on Rollerball when the remake of the movie came out. It actually was pretty close to complete before MGM pulled the plug on it.

--Selgus

No kidding! Surprised Nintendo would have allowed a game of that movie (original), which was fairly violent. You normally don't hear much about SNES or N64 prototypes, even though there is a fairly long list on wikipedia. Maybe it's too soon? Again, I would love, I mean love to buy a quality Flash-Cart like retrousb's NES for SNES or N64 or Genesis. I'd love to be able to play prototypes on it too, like we can for 5200 or Colecovision or NES, etc. Just that we've only recently seen prototype SNES games leak out onto Youtube. But I'd much rather see that than amateur homebrew from scratch or hacks.

Edited by Greg2600

• 5 years later...

A search of "N64 homebrew" led me to this site from Google. Woo, this is necroposting, sorry, but there really needs to be a N64 homebrew scene. To get started, I found this:

https://dragonminded.com/n64dev/

Don't know how good it is though. If it uses C, maybe I'll take a stab at it. I can't imagine it being VERY much different than the Virtual Boy. The VB was 32 MB, and the N64 is, well, 64. Fatso 64, anyone? I bet that would be the easiest thing to make.