IGNORED

OnLive Aims to Make Game Consoles Obsolete

My prediction is that it will work over the right connection but the latency will make it play like mush. Their claim of one millisecond is absolute BS. Impossible.

wait, they said that? maybe I should take time and read that story. it takes 1-5 ms for a round trip to my access point and back--and that's less than 20 feet away.

based on the fact that a lot of online games *already* play like mush, yes, this will be very runny mush indeed. and it's not like it can simply be buffered like a movie.

Edited by Reaperman

I'd rather buy a console and have a one time cost than pay someone $10 a month for years on end. If a console has a 5 year life span it would be the same as paying $10 a month for a $600 launch PS3.

It's nice to be able to take a console to a place that has no internet connection and be able to use it.

I'd rather buy a console and have a one time cost than pay someone $10 a month for years on end. If a console has a 5 year life span it would be the same as paying $10 a month for a $600 launch PS3.

A lot of people can't plop down $600 for a console, but they can squeeze out $10 a month. They could always save $10 a month for 5 years, then buy a new console, but they'd be 5 years behind everyone else by the time they got that new console.

If it works, it will be nice to play the latest games for an affordable price and not have to buy some expensive beast that may die on you at any time and will certainly become outdated in a few years when you'll be expected to pay another $600 for the next console. If I can play the latest games for a small monthly fee, that's all I need to hear. Sign me up. I'll be happy to say goodbye to expensive consoles and their $60 games.

Another downside is that it might suck up your entire bandwidth when gaming: OnLive requires 1.5 Mbps for standard def gaming, and 5 Mbps for high def.

*gulp* Well, I'm fucked. I've got DSL.....

Why are you fucked? DSL can go past 5 Mps. DSL isn't automatically slow. I had DSL @ 3 Mbps and could have gotten 6 Mbps. I have UVerse now, and I still get 3 Mbps but it can go as fast as 18 Mbps in my area.

My prediction is that it will work over the right connection but the latency will make it play like mush. Their claim of one millisecond is absolute BS. Impossible.

You don't even know how it works, and you say it's impossible. Here's a shocker, they are running this game on a set of servers hundreds of miles away. And every reputable news source is saying it "surprised them" in how well it looked and worked.

You're NOT trasmitting the exact video of the game to your tv. THAT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE. You're sending compressed video that then uncompresses when it reaches you. What I'm trying to say is, it's kinda like getting a 60 mb file in winzip so it's only 2 mb, but you open it and it's 60 mb again. Except it's doing that really really fast, over and over a lot of times. I hope that makes sense.

Again, why are people so negative on the idea of this?

If this didn't work to the point where it was playable, the company wouldn't show it now because it would have killed the public's vibe of the product and all that work would be for not.

The article said the reporter SAW the game being played but did not actually play it, so no comment on latency.

I'm saying that the basic transmission time from you the player to the server, and then the video signal coming back to you, to which you then react, will impact the "feel" of gameplay, seriously. Anyone who's dealt with video conferencing, even on the most modern system, will realize what we're talking about here. If they can make this feel the same as playing an actual console in the same room as you, I will be TRULY amazed. It's a great idea but I think it will be riddled with serious problems.

OnLive Aims to Make Game Consoles Obsolete:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343717,00.asp

Is this more of the same crap we've been hearing for years or do you think this would be a good way to keep up with the latest games without needing to buy expensive consoles or spending thousands of dollars every two weeks to make sure your PC can play the latest games?

I'll have to pass on that. I don't want control on someone elses end. Gaming for me a single machine or game with no online.

It's completely implausible. Bandwidth issues aside, they're going to need to purchase high-powered computers for every subscriber using the service. Obviously, not EVERY subscriber will be on the service at once, but many will be, because you know how obsessive gamers can be about their hobby. Buying a three thousand dollar computer for thirty dollars a month in subscription fees just isn't good math.

Yes, yes, I have a hatred for cloud computing that borders on irrational. It doesn't detract from my point, though.

A lot of people can't plop down $600 for a console, but they can squeeze out $10 a month. They could always save $10 a month for 5 years, then buy a new console, but they'd be 5 years behind everyone else by the time they got that new console.

If it works, it will be nice to play the latest games for an affordable price and not have to buy some expensive beast that may die on you at any time and will certainly become outdated in a few years when you'll be expected to pay another $600 for the next console. If I can play the latest games for a small monthly fee, that's all I need to hear. Sign me up. I'll be happy to say goodbye to expensive consoles and their $60 games.

I wouldn't ever spend $600 on a console. I waited til I was able to get a PS3 for $250. I don't have to keep paying money forever for it either. This is also assuming they only charge $10 a month. If they charge $20 or $30 it goes up even more.

Edited by HammR25

Finally got through! (After about a half dozen tries)

Beta Program

Thanks for your interest in our Beta program! We�ll be contacting potential Beta testers during our external Beta later this year.

Now hopefully I'll have a server close enough to me to get selected.

I dont think they realized how popular they'd be. After about 5 minutes they must have started up some more servers for their site because every page loaded fine after that. I also got into the BETA :D. I'm so excited about this. I'm very happy with the attention they're getting. Now let's hope they do this right, and get some exclusives as well by launch time.

RT, I think we were separated at birth.

Weird! What are the odds of that happening?

Finally got through! (After about a half dozen tries)

I got through on my first try. That must mean I'm special.

My speed is either 15750 kbps or 19776 kbps, depending on the speed test, so I selected 16 mbps from their drop-down menu.

List of games:

(Game title, Publisher)

Burnout: Paradise, Electronics Arts

Hawx, Ubisoft

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, Warner Brothers

Frontlines Fuel of War, THQ

Tomb Raider: Underworld, Eidos

GRID, Codemasters

World of Goo, 2D BOY

Riddick, Atari

Crysis Warhead, Electronic Arts

Wheelman, Ubisoft