IGNORED

Request for screen captures from NTSC Ataris

Kr0tki

You're right, the algorithm would work without changes. However the 16 luminance values are based on voltage data from the CGIA.PDF document, so they don't necessarily apply to other consoles. (Although I suspect that TIA and MARIA generate lumiance signal the same way that GTIA does, so maybe it could be left unchanged.) If similar voltage data for TIA or MARIA is available, then it should be used instead. Alternatively, you may forget the whole issue and just compute lumas linearly, sacrificing a little accuracy.

Nice work! Let us know when you have code useable in A800... Or is the current code easily pluggable? If so I can plug it in to use the "normal" values you had listed in the readme. Then I'll add a menu where the user can "adjust" those values as preferred.

Well, there might be some work involved if one wanted to integrate it with the existing code that computes palette in the "NTSC filter" mode (as mentioned above). It would be nice if the same color genertation was used in the "NTSC filter" mode and the normal mode; alas Atari800 isn't working that way right now.

No biggy I don't have the NTSC filter stuff implemented anyways. Is it anygood?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok. Well I have to say now that "I'm a believer!". I finally got it working in atarixlbox and am really impressed with it. Especially the way artifacting is reproduced!! Nice to see games like Lode Runner, Jawbreaker, AE in their full "artifacting" glory!!

I used to always wonder why any one would want to "recreate" old imperfect NTSC style images. Why go backwards? When the image is so sharp now! But after playing through a few titles I could just feel the old nostalgia feeling kicking back in!! It really is worth it to try it out. It may not be the greatest thing for all games but it really does a good job and still keeps the image clean enough to not hamper the enjoyment!

• 2 months later...

The last thing I'd like to know is how to properly convert hue phase angles into radians, as given by this particular formula:

theta = pi * ((cols(z) + hue) / 180)

For instance: if I was to plug in a color to this formula which is in column 1, and with a hue of 210 (would this be 1 + 210 = 211?), what would the theta be? I tried it out and this did not give me a consistent result: the theta value returned was 3.6826 radians, which I don't believe is correct. Please help me.

But even if 3.6826 radians is correct, I don't believe this part of the equation will be enough to give me a consistent result as to the correct hue to plug into the next formula:

R = Y + S * SIN(theta)

G = Y - 0.5094 * S * SIN(theta) - 0.1887 * S * COS(theta)

B = Y + S * COS(theta)

Thank you,

Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

The last thing I'd like to know is how to properly convert hue phase angles into radians, as given by this particular formula:

theta = pi * ((cols(z) + hue) / 180)

I don't quite understand what you mean. Where is this formula coming from? What are cols, z, hue intended to mean? Are you asking how to convert between degrees and radians?

For instance: if I was to plug in a color to this formula which is in column 1, and with a hue of 210 (would this be 1 + 210 = 211?), what would the theta be? I tried it out and this did not give me a consistent result: the theta value returned was 3.6826 radians, which I don't believe is correct. Please help me.

What do you mean, the result was inconsistent? Was it changing between repeated uses of the formula?

But even if 3.6826 radians is correct, I don't believe this part of the equation will be enough to give me a consistent result as to the correct hue to plug into the next formula:

R = Y + S * SIN(theta)

G = Y - 0.5094 * S * SIN(theta) - 0.1887 * S * COS(theta)

B = Y + S * COS(theta)

I don't know this formula, either. However if you're trying to devise an algorithm that produces RGB values of Atari colours, I suggest you to look into the palgen-ntsc source that was posted in this thread earlier.

Edited by Kr0tki

• 1 month later...

I'm proud to announce that the palette adjustments devised in this thread have been integrated into the source of Atari800, thus it becoming the first emulator with exact emulation of colours :D

Thanks to all for help.

Edited by Kr0tki