Photo

Looky what I just found amongst my crap...

46 replies to this topic

#26 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,512 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sun May 10, 2009 4:07 PM

I don't think I'll be scanning it, considering I got a couple offers to buy it already. ;)

More crap, I didn't even know I had...

Why would that mean you can't scan it?

#27 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• Topic Starter
  • 28,343 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Sun May 10, 2009 5:00 PM

It would completely de-value it, wouldn't it?

#28 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,512 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Mon May 11, 2009 12:28 AM

Not if it could still be clear what was the original and a repro, such as if you put a huge watermark on each page.

#29 brojamfootball OFFLINE  

brojamfootball

Dragonstomper

• 703 posts

Posted Mon May 11, 2009 12:37 AM

Not if it could still be clear what was the original and a repro, such as if you put a huge watermark on each page.

Or just use OCR software or type it in so the content is there for us folks to read :)

#30 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• Topic Starter
  • 28,343 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 6:09 PM

More crap...

#31 Crazy Climber ONLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 11,347 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 PM

It's just like dumping a prototype, once everyone has access to it and the mystery behind it is gone the value goes down. People like to own mysterious items, these are very mysterious, nobody knows whats in them and the top secret, confidential, etc.. makes it all the more cool. When you own something like this everybody wants to see it, and people want to buy it! Once you scan everything and make it no more mysterious than a Kid Icarus instruction manual, the cash offers will cease, or at least go way down and so will the demand for your awesome top secret treasure :) People will say "Oh I have seen that, here are the scans of it in this topic" etc...
Not trying to discourage him from scanning, just telling it like it is ;)

#32 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 6:55 PM

I'd be curious to find out why Sony went from calling it a playstation (originally) to PS-X, or was it because they associated the name playstation with the on-off and ultimately no deal with nintendo

#33 psx-collector OFFLINE  

psx-collector

Star Raider

• 99 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 PM

WOW! :-o

#34 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• Topic Starter
  • 28,343 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 7:04 PM

I'd be curious to find out why Sony went from calling it a playstation (originally) to PS-X, or was it because they associated the name playstation with the on-off and ultimately no deal with nintendo

It was the other way around. ;)

#35 SRGilbert OFFLINE  

SRGilbert

River Patroller

• 2,498 posts

Posted Thu May 21, 2009 7:46 PM

Man, I'd still scan it just to have it in my own archives.

#36 rpgfaker OFFLINE  

rpgfaker

Moonsweeper

• 489 posts

Posted Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 AM

Wow the Super NES CD.. that's the bomb! 1993! This makes me want to go back to Playa del rey to rifle through EA's dumpster...

Edited by rpgfaker, Fri May 22, 2009 7:31 AM.

#37 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Sun May 24, 2009 5:50 AM

Was the Nintendo ND CD device, nintendo's last attempt at ressurecting the sony deal

Just curios as to why sony were against the snes/sony cd tie up be compatible with the phillips system (seeming as though sony and phillips both worked on developing the CD in the 1st place)

#38 triverse OFFLINE  

triverse

Dragonstomper

• 510 posts

Posted Thu Jun 4, 2009 12:39 PM

Was the Nintendo ND CD device, nintendo's last attempt at ressurecting the sony deal

Just curios as to why sony were against the snes/sony cd tie up be compatible with the phillips system (seeming as though sony and phillips both worked on developing the CD in the 1st place)

From what I understand of the situation Sony was going to have control or receive royalties for each game on the CD-Rom system they assisted Nintendo in making, whether it was a Sony game or not, they would still receive money. Nintendo didn't like this and then went with Phillips behind Sony's back and created, or at least announced, another CD-Rom attachment for the SNES. The Phillips version would be compatible with CD-i software and would be controlled by Nintendo (the way they like it). Neither came to market, and as far as I know, the only thing shown was artist conceptual drawings.

#39 kool kitty89 OFFLINE  

kool kitty89

River Patroller

• 2,394 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:35 AM

Is the cd rom thingy the proposed sony/nintendo one or just the nintendo one

i believe that if sony/nintendo went ahead with the cd rom thingy, according to those that know, it was going to be called 'sony playstation'....how ironic, eh...

Judging by the date (1993) there's no way that has anything to do with Sony, they'd dropped that back in '91, and by 1993 Sony was on the verge of dropping their original SNES derived "Play Station" in favor of a new, more powerful design. (which eventualy ended up as the PlayStation) I think the final version of the SNES derived console was the "Target Box" PS-X prototype.

This doccument almost definitely refers to the Nintendo-Phillips CD-ROM project, some refrences claim it was to be compatible with the CD-i, but from the specs I've seen it has very little to do with that console.

I do hope this gets scanned or otherwise archived before it's sold, it would be a shame for something like this to just dissapear... :( (even if it was just recorded for preservational purposes as there's no telling what will happen with the new owner, or if it's damaged at some point) I's never really made sense to me whay protos and rare docs like these drop in value after being copied (though often the sale is technically illegal as well, or kind of in a gray area if they haven't been previously released, though often those holding the legal rights won't do anything about it).

If it's the real deal, it shouldn't matter either way, the same for Betas of unreleased games... There's no logical reason the collector value should go down... :roll:

Anyway, here's what I've seen on the Phillips collaberation:
http://www.digitpres...ad.php?t=126091
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by kool kitty89, Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:43 AM.

#40 Jaguarfan OFFLINE  

Jaguarfan

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 PM

holy carp! gimme gimme gimme gimme...........I don't wanna be stuck with my crappy Satellaview forever! I wonder if it would be possible to put cdi innards in a Satellaview case then add the disc drive..........

#41 psx-collector OFFLINE  

psx-collector

Star Raider

• 99 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 PM

CPUWIZ, PS-X manual has information about this device?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Or about this card...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#42 kool kitty89 OFFLINE  

kool kitty89

River Patroller

• 2,394 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:44 PM

holy carp! gimme gimme gimme gimme...........I don't wanna be stuck with my crappy Satellaview forever! I wonder if it would be possible to put cdi innards in a Satellaview case then add the disc drive..........

Based on the pres releases form EGM shown above, there's no CDi hardware in the machine whatsoever, no custom 68k (68070) CPU, no added vidio hardware, though the hardware the do list seems a lot more capable in many ways copared to the CDi. (which really wasn't originally intended as a gaming machine, rather a multimedia entertainment system, audio CDs, VCD's -with MPEG decoder- and with games offered in addition to the other features)

Anyway, I don't know if this doccument shows anything different, or simply confirms the above articles, but well see if he decides to release the information.

I'm not sure about Sony's machine, I know it was derived from the SNES hardware, with additional CD drive and decoser, with additional RAM for CD data. I'm not sure if there were other additinal coprocessors though.

#43 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• Topic Starter
  • 28,343 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:33 PM

CPUWIZ, PS-X manual has information about this device?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Or about this card...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

LOL, I haven't seen that in ages, that is the very first PlayStation development kit, it's missing the sound hardware (Sony didn't have it ready).

The controller card is for a black external CD-ROM drive.

#44 psx-collector OFFLINE  

psx-collector

Star Raider

• 99 posts

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 PM

I thought the manual may have some information about DTL-H500 or DTL-H505. :)

#45 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• Topic Starter
  • 28,343 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 PM

I thought the manual may have some information about DTL-H500 or DTL-H505. :)

It might, I'll check when I am home.

#46 MegaManFan OFFLINE  

MegaManFan

NNID: MrMegaManFan

• 18,867 posts
  • What time is it? MEGA MAN TIME!

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:49 PM

Wow, that's amazing! Did they ever build a model or produce anything?

Yes, and I was shown a prototype that was salvaged from a literal trash heap at a CGE. I took photos too, I'll have to find them sometime.

#47 etschuetz OFFLINE  

etschuetz

Chopper Commander

• 197 posts
  • Kickin' it, Old school

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:26 PM

<!--quoteo(post=1746721:date=Sun May 10, 2009 2:07 PM:name=batari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (batari @ Sun May 10, 2009 2:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would that mean you can't scan it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you can get a copy of Adobe Professional (hint hint), you can easily add a "COPY" water mark across the pages. And, no one can remove them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users