IGNORED

Request: ICD R-Time-8 replacement

The original R-Time 8 cartridge is using the M3002-16PI as it's RTC. This component is obsolete and there is no replacement for this one.

After reading some topics at AtariAge I'm sure that there are people over here who can emulate the M3002 with a modern programmable micro controller (probaby with their eyes closed and one hand tied to a foot). I have no experience with these micro controllers nor do I have the software/hardware to play with them so I'm looking for someone who can do this for me.

I don't need a physical cartridge. I just need a tiny board (2 or 3 actually) which I can piggy back to an I.C. on the Black Box (such a board will likely also fit into a 130XE/800XL). Maybe a real PCB isn't even required as the original RT8 basically exists of only 2 logic components and a 32.768KHz crystal so it may fit on a wired experiment PCB.

Another thing is that the M3002 has 256bytes of internal memory (for alarm settings) which is not being used in the RT8. Would it be possible to make use of this memory on the Atari 8-bit without loosing 100% compatibility? Or even extend this memory? I have no idea what to store in that area yet but I'm sure I'll come up with something in the near future :-)

rt8.png

It's important that the hardware seen by the Atari is 100% identical with the RT8 as this is (was) more or less a standard. This way any time/date tool can be used without patching and without additional drivers (especially handy for disk based Sparta-Dos).

Also, exchanging the battery for a rechargeable modern Lithium equivalent would be welcome.

If anyone is interested to invest some time in it, I also have a data sheet of the M3002.

Hello Robert, guys

@Robert: Welcome back, we missed you

I can't help you when it comes to developing this thing. But I can help get these things off your hands. Meaning: I want one too, and if the price is low enough, maybe even more.

greetings

Mathy

He Mathy,

@Robert: Welcome back, we missed you

Back from where? I never left. Just went away for the public for a while as I was too busy with other things :-)

It wasn't my intention to let someone make a batch of R-Time replacements for me to re-sell. I just want to build a working replacement for the RT-8 for my own use and since the modern world (I don't think I'm part of it) has discovered the ATMEL I thought this was the way to go. Many people can mock up a small PCB once they have a working/programmed micro controller so if someone managed to make such a thing he's of course free to make it his project and create nice populated PCB's which he can sell if he wants to (releasing the micro controller code to the public would be nice).

I'm just in doubt if there are enough people who actually want one. The "classic-game-SIO2PC-loading-types" have no use for it, emulator users don't need it, non-Sparta-Dos users don't really need it either, so who's left?

It's even possible to extend the RT-8 with extra features. Much easier with programmable components then it is with only hardware. It depends on the knowledge and the time for the one who starts playing with it.

Provided a Z: handler with the same functions can be written, is it really worth getting worked up about 100% R-Time compatibility?

Yes it is (at least for me it is).

I know there are alternative clocks but they all rely on a Z: handler. Sparta-Dos natively supports the RT-8. No need for a handler as it's built into the DOS itself. My BBS also only runs with Sparta-Dos and all time/date related tools are for the RT-8 only. BobTerm is taking advantage of the Sparta-Dos time/date as do some other terminals.

To be short, a 100% compatible replacement doesn't need any kind of patching.

Hello Robert

Back from where? I never left. Just went away for the public for a while ....

I guess you just answered your own question.

It wasn't my intention to let someone make a batch of R-Time replacements for me to re-sell.....

And ...

I'm just in doubt if there are enough people who actually want one.

Now why do you think I reacted? :D If enough of us react, it makes sense to start a project like this.

... non-Sparta-Dos users don't really need it either...

I don't need everything I want. :D :D :D :D :D

greetings

Mathy

• 6 years later...

MASSIVE NECROBUMP

Sorry, but did not see the purpose of starting a new thread when this one existed . . . . six years ago. . .

So, I was kind of wondering: does the PCB exist somewhere? Can it be redesigned? Because, the M3002 seems to exist again.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3809263867571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=380926386757&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] or am I wrong?

If someone could confirm this was the right chip and I am not just hallucinating, I would be willing--with help--to figure out how to make some again.

Hello guys

I recently heard that Europe isn't the only place in the world, where the current time is broadcast via a radio signal. If I'm informed correctly, there are three different frequencies used for this purpose in the world. And there seems to be a chip that can use them all (read: select the right one according to where you are). Wouldn't it be a better idea (than reproducing the RT8) to use this chip and translate the data to the format the RT8 is using, insuring compatibility to existing software? That way you have the correct time all the time, as this device would set itself.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

Hello guys

I recently heard that Europe isn't the only place in the world, where the current time is broadcast via a radio signal. If I'm informed correctly, there are three different frequencies used for this purpose in the world. And there seems to be a chip that can use them all (read: select the right one according to where you are). Wouldn't it be a better idea (than reproducing the RT8) to use this chip and translate the data to the format the RT8 is using, insuring compatibility to existing software? That way you have the correct time all the time, as this device would set itself.

Sincerely

Mathy

the radio time stuff tends to not work reliably everywhere. It's best to use this to set a normal RTC, if the signal can be heard, then use the normal RTC from then on.

@ FOX-1

Since these chips seem to be available, would getting a new IC suffice for you? Between that and the battery, seems like it would repair 99% of the possible issues. Or do you really want a new device?

I've got a "dead" one, also. At one time, I re-flowed the solder connections on the IC, and that made it run for a few days -- then dead again.

If someone else can confirm that this is the correct IC, as MacRorie asked above, I'd be willing to be a guinea pig and check into purchasing a 10-pack to see if it breathes new life into my R-Time 8. If so, I'll sell individual chips to users in the U.S. if they want to try to repair theirs.

But there may not be a lot of demand to fix these since so many devices now have built-in RTC's.

-Larry

Hello Joey

the radio time stuff tends to not work reliably everywhere. It's best to use this to set a normal RTC, if the signal can be heard, then use the normal RTC from then on.

Here in Europe, it seems to run very well. Most train stations seem to get their time from the radio signal and I've been using radio controlled clocks (read: alarm clocks that I do not use a alarm clocks but as normal clocks) for years. These all are set by the radio signal and when the signal is not detected, they just keep running.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

GPS Arduino type modules are very comparable in price, maybe five dollars more but that's it. I also agree, radio time in the USA is quite good as well, but there IS a trick to it. My Radio Shack atomic time based alarm clock shows when it is reaching out to reset it's time base and has a heavy remote ferrite antenna attached with cord for the best reception of signals. But it never works as good as it does when it's placed right next to the clock itself where it becomes flawless and latches onto a signal every time. I took this with me as an OTR truck driver thru some 45 of the contiguous lower 48 states and never failed to latch up a time reference with it. It does show failed status quite plainly too. Keep the antenna close and it feeds off the receiver's own 'field' and latch up just happens. Only real trouble I had was forgetting to set the proper time zone for the proper wake up time.

do you guys want replacement boards, replacement ICs or whole new cart assemblies?

Whole new cart assemblies is what I had in mind. Even going so far as to learn ExpressPCB to do it. I want this BAD! :-)

Just ordered 10 chips. Contact me if you want a few.

Edited by MacRorie
  • Like 2