IGNORED

Calling all Vectrex Owners - Reproduction Vectrex Overlays Survey

VectrexMad!

Some enthusiasts at the newsgroup rec.games.vectrex are considering a non profit venture to get Vectrex overlays professionally made. To begin with it is envisaged that only four different overlays will be manufactured. To see if there is sufficient interest/demand to make this project viable, please would you take the time to reply to this topic or email survey(at)vectrex.co.uk - replace (at) with @ - with an answer to the following:

(1) Please respond with up to four Vectrex game names for overlays you would most like to see reproduced (overlay suggestions can be for either original or homebrew games). For more than one overlay wish please list your choices starting with the most wanted first.

This survey will close on the 6th day of June.

Regards

VectrexMad!

In fact after having learnt some more information about screen printing it might be more cost effective to produce eight overlays.

Therefore if you can please respond with up to eight Vectrex game names (four minimum) for overlays you would most like to see reproduced.

Thanks.

Edited by VectrexMad!

I would suggest putting copy somewhere on the overlays or something, I don't know how good the copies will be, but you can bet people would try to sell them (especially for any of the rarer games)

..And to try and "get the ball rolling" my personal choices would be

1. Pole Position,

2. Minestorm,

3. Star Castle,

4. Star Hawk,

5. Flipper Pinball / Spinball

6. Protector

I've already got the rest.

Yeah, but you could use the repros to play with, and the originals can stay safely boxed away. :P

A Space Invaders overlay (red for the saucer, green for the shields and player) would be great for Y*A*S*I!

Uh....what? Does the saucer not move on vec space invaders or something? :?:

A Space Invaders overlay (red for the saucer, green for the shields and player) would be great for Y*A*S*I!

Uh....what? Does the saucer not move on vec space invaders or something? :?:

The saucer in Vectrex YASI is like the saucer in the original Space Invaders - it moves but only horizontally above the aliens. Therefore you can make a red strip at the top fo the screen to make the saucer appear red.

i'm selling mine but if I can get one of the sweet custom systems seen in another thread here I'd be interested in overlays. Just missed out on ten of em local for a buck each-originals of course :(

Can anyone else out there make suggestions for reproduction overlays they would be interested in if the price is right?

Ideally, I would like your top eight names for game overlays but can settle for four suggestions or less. If you can list them in the order with the most wanted at the top of the list that would be great. If you are going to suggest homebrews can you please give the names.

Thanks for your time.

regards

VectrexMad!

Perhaps do a new post with a poll for the overlay choices, and redirect folk here from the other sites / newsgroups.

Thats a nice idea, but when looking at the polls on this site generally there seems to be a low response rate typically 3-30 and that is for Atari related things. Also people not registered with Atariaage would have to register in order to make their vote - I think this would be an extra hurdle for some.

Anyway the closing date for my survey is not until 6th June so still some time left.

VectrexMad!

Perhaps do a new post with a poll for the overlay choices, and redirect folk here from the other sites / newsgroups.

Thats a nice idea, but when looking at the polls on this site generally there seems to be a low response rate typically 3-30 and that is for Atari related things. Also people not registered with Atariaage would have to register in order to make their vote - I think this would be an extra hurdle for some.

Anyway the closing date for my survey is not until 6th June so still some time left.

VectrexMad!

Except from the answers here, how many total answer we have through the email and all the forums?

VectrexMad!

Except from the answers here, how many total answer we have through the email and all the forums?

Plink, so far only 24 (including the answers here) :(

Anybody else out there have a Vectrex Overlay wish list?

VectrexMad!

1 - Yasi (Space Invaders)

2 - Protector (Defender)

3 - Gravitrex (Gravitar)

4 - Tsunami (Tempest)

5 - V-Frogger

6 - Star Castle

7 - Pole Position

8 - Polar Rescue

There is still one more week left before the survey closes. Anybody else have a particular overlay wishlist?

VectrexMad!

Hello All,

This is the last bump (honest)...survey closes on the 6th June.

Is there anyone else out there who hasn't already replied that can let me know their reproduction Vectrex overlay wish list? Can be either originals, or homebrews.

Thanks

VectrexMad!

I'd personally like to see a nice generic Vectrex overlay, maybe in a nice green to use as a default when you don't have the right one rather than not using one at all.

I don't have a list, but I'd say Minestorm would be a good choice, every Vec owner has this game, but I doubt that every Minestorm overlay has lasted this long. I could use one myself.

Also, I would say it comes down to what games REQUIRE the overlay to play the game properly.

Why exactly is this a non-profit thing? I wouldn't care if it were for profit if it motivated someone to continue doing it.

Edited by SRGilbert

I'd personally like to see a nice generic Vectrex overlay, maybe in a nice green to use as a default when you don't have the right one rather than not using one at all.

I don't have a list, but I'd say Minestorm would be a good choice, every Vec owner has this game, but I doubt that every Minestorm overlay has lasted this long. I could use one myself.

Also, I would say it comes down to what games REQUIRE the overlay to play the game properly.

Why exactly is this a non-profit thing? I wouldn't care if it were for profit if it motivated someone to continue doing it.

Thanks for the feedback SRGilbert. You are pretty much spot on about the MineStorm overlay. Nearly everyone who has replied to the survey has MineStorm at the top of their list.

Non profit you say? I think a lot of members in the Vectrex community do things for the love of it rather then to make money. Also it would make the cost of the overlay higher for everyone if profit was factored in - cost is already possibly an issue, because only a small run of the overlays is likely to be made to satisfy demand. But you are right if profit motivated someone to do it I would still buy.

regards

VectrexMad!

Thanks to all who responded to the survey.

Here are the results in order of most "wished for":

1- Mine Storm

2- Star Castle

3- Protector

4- Pole Position

5- Yasi

6- Armour Attack

7- Dark Tower

8- Fortress of Narzod

If you go to my website www.vectrex.co.uk and select the "News" tab you can find a downloadable Excel spreadsheet containing all the results.

The results will now be presented to the enthusiasts at the newsgroup rec.games.vectrex to determine the way forward for producing the overlays.

regards

VectrexMad!