IGNORED

Apple Snaffle (7800's 25th birthday game)

GroovyBee

Find attached the latest version :-

7800Birthday_19_06_09.1.15.a787800Birthday_19_06_09.1.15.bin

Whats new in this release :-

- Improved joystick up/down debouncing on main menu.

- Extra start/idle animations.

Still to fix :-

- Collision detection.

- Random apple bug.

Can folks test the main menu with a variety of joysticks to make sure that the debouncing is working OK? Please list the joystick used and the problems (if any).

Hi Mark

Looks really great.I was able to beat the 1st maze.I got all apples,without getting any bugs...... ;)

Cannot wait to see the 1st really playable version...

Here some more possible names

Apple Chaos

Nolan`s Apple Chaos

Apple Harvest

Appleas and Boulders

greetings Walter

Looks really great.I was able to beat the 1st maze.I got all apples,without getting any bugs...... ;)

Cannot wait to see the 1st really playable version...

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you could beat the first level.

Apple Chaos

Nolan`s Apple Chaos

Apple Harvest

Appleas and Boulders

Added to the list.

Find attached the latest version :-

Can folks test the main menu with a variety of joysticks to make sure that the debouncing is working OK? Please list the joystick used and the problems (if any).

I tested with a Wico bat handle joystick and my custom 7800 joystick and they both seemed fine. Though I did notice that I was unable to select anything in the menu with the button on the Wico stick. Presumably you are setting it in 7800 two button mode?

Mitch

Thought I'd better throw my hat into the ring with game names.

The ones I thought up are :-

Apple Stone

Apple Dapper

Apple Dabble

and my favourite :-

Apple Snaffle

I also liked espire8's Major Miner name. Thanks to everybody that came up with names. Much appreciated :D. I guess the game's new full name is now "Major Miner in Apple Snaffle" or "Apple Snaffle" for short :).

• 2 weeks later...

Find attached the latest version of Apple Snaffle :-

AppleSnaffle_10_07_09.1.21.a78AppleSnaffle_10_07_09.1.21.bin

Whats new in this release :-

- Two levels to play.

- Countdown timer and time out screen.

- Working score.

- Music and sound effects using POKEY.

- Displays a unique code before the level starts.

- You can enter this code to select that level from the game's menu.

- Bug fixes (random apple bug and many others).

- Physics optimisations.

CC2 owners will need to change their config file to the following :-

78POKEY 78BIOS

If you haven't got a POKEY in your CC2 then sounds or music won't be heard.

Collision detection needs work and you still can't die.

Can NTSC folks with CC2 tell me if the second level runs slower than the 1st? On PAL I have more free CPU cycles to play with, so it might have problems with that level.

Have fun!

Edit: For composition and clarity.

Edited by GroovyBee

This looks great! I'm a big fan of, uhmm, the Atari 8-bit game that has similarities to Apple Snaffle, and I will need to break out my CC2 in order to test this. :D

Thanks for the compliment.

Perhaps a level design contest is in order?

Yep! I just need to write a tool to export the level data into the game, sign the final binary and remove the header block for CC2 users.

Yep! I just need to write a tool to export the level data into the game, sign the final binary and remove the header block for CC2 users.

Can you post the source for the first level?

[Edit] Never mind. I figured out the maze format.

post-5778-1247298942_thumb.jpg

Edited by jwierer

Thanks for annoying me this morning! :( You could of at least PM'd me first if you could extract the level data. Makes me just want to wait and release the final version on cart now.

Edited by GroovyBee

Thanks for annoying me this morning! :( You could of at least PM'd me first if you could extract the level data. Makes me just want to wait and release the final version on cart now.

Wow, didn't mean to annoy. Don't worry I won't post an editor. If you want it for your personal use, PM me.

-Jeff

Wow, didn't mean to annoy. Don't worry I won't post an editor. If you want it for your personal use, PM me.

<Rant on>

I'm annoyed for two main reasons :-

1) You didn't ask me privately. Even if you did ask I'd still have said no because the level editor I use is called Tile Studio and its something I've used for years, so I know all its quirks and I'm comfortable with it. You could have saved yourself time and effort.

2) This is a "live" game development. With Apple Snaffle being a new homebrew game I would not expect somebody to just come along and rip the sprites and level data while it's still a WIP. That's a big "F@#K YOU" slap in my face for taking time out to support a long dead games platform.

I'm no "wet behind the ears" programmer, if I can't do something or I'm stuck I'll ask.

<Rant off>

• Like 1

<Rant on>

I'm annoyed for two main reasons :-

1) You didn't ask me privately. Even if you did ask I'd still have said no because the level editor I use is called Tile Studio and its something I've used for years, so I know all its quirks and I'm comfortable with it. You could have saved yourself time and effort.

2) This is a "live" game development. With Apple Snaffle being a new homebrew game I would not expect somebody to just come along and rip the sprites and level data while it's still a WIP. That's a big "F@#K YOU" slap in my face for taking time out to support a long dead games platform.

I'm no "wet behind the ears" programmer, if I can't do something or I'm stuck I'll ask.

<Rant off>

Saw "level design contest" and got excited. Definitely not my intention so please accept my apology.

-Jeff

Saw "level design contest" and got excited. Definitely not my intention so please accept my apology.

Apology accepted. I did mention level design in the very first post in the thread so instructions and tools were on the cards to be developed/sourced. Lets move on....