IGNORED

Retromags review of Classic Video Gamer Magazine #1

That wasn't my review, I covered World of Illusion. But I'm sure the sentiment will be passed along :)

My apologies, I should have double checked that before posting (I am currently running around like a chicken with it's head cut off at the moment, but that is no excuse).

As you can tell from the review of the issue, I liked your review of World of Illusion also.

Well everyone, it's a definite winner. Great writings, pics, layout, it's great to have. I do get a couple of mags, this one will definitely be on my subscription list.

As for my review, I hope it influenced some one somewhere to get that great game. Hopefully I will be able to contribute more for future issues!

Because there will be many MANY more issues!

I liked your review of Cybermorph, it was great and you refrained from going spastic about it like Dave Halverson did in Gamefan when he reviewed the game (never really figured out what he was on at the time as I have yet to see the little people in the windows waving at you from the buildings, or whatever it was he said).

Haha thanks! ;) Ya, the infamous acid induced Cybermorph review! I actually was going both ways on wether to rate it 7.5 or 8. Halverson pretty much gave it a 10 though lol.

you don't have to worry I guarantee that I will stay on as part of the staff cvgm after I relaunch my own fanzine.

as I stated most of my reports will be coming from past issues(and these will only be mine not those who contributed

to the fanzine) when I start getting down to the end of the old ones I will doing some fresh ones which will be in both the new fanzine

and in yours. I'll get to work on the next reviews this week which will be from the past issue of atari zone and work on my laserman

background story.it's very interesting because it basically begins with my love tempest and how I wanted to make one for the Ti since there

wasn't one and how it turned out on the system, then I prob go into how I started getting into doing laserman 2k3 as the prequel to laserman

and how that worked out.

I will also mention the two planned sequels of laserman(one on the the TI,which never got done, and the one thats going to be in the works

after laserman gets completed on the 2600 and also some background story on the games. I got a lot of work to do.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

Somewhere on my hard drive there exists a video for Videogaming & Computergaming Illustrated. That magazine to me is still a mystery. But then again, the mystery of why my Home Computer Magazine subscription died out got solved a whopping 20 years later: the founder of the mag raised the price to something insanely high which invalidated all subscriptions & relaunched a new magazine.

Yeah he was on something when he wrote that review (those that knew him back then claim he was acting 'different' around the time that the game came into the offices).

Your review was much more entertaining and professional in my opinion.

Wow, that is the ultimate compliment! :D Thank you, sincerely. ;) Then again, I'm a health nut, so my mind is always clear. Halverson was on acid, caffeine and who knows what else when he wrote that crazy CyberMorph review and practically gave it 100 LOL. He was handicapped! :P I actually wanted to give CyberMorph an 80, and I actually did change my review a bit. But my original review got printed where I gave it a 75. Either way, it's a solid game that unfortunately most people don't get to enjoy much, because it has a very steep learning curve and kicks everyone's ass for awhile. But once you start to "own" the game, it becomes VERY enjoyable. It is a super big game too.

Yeah he was on something when he wrote that review (those that knew him back then claim he was acting 'different' around the time that the game came into the offices).

Your review was much more entertaining and professional in my opinion.

Wow, that is the ultimate compliment! :D Thank you, sincerely. ;) Then again, I'm a health nut, so my mind is always clear. Halverson was on acid, caffeine and who knows what else when he wrote that crazy CyberMorph review and practically gave it 100 LOL. He was handicapped! :P I actually wanted to give CyberMorph an 80, and I actually did change my review a bit. But my original review got printed where I gave it a 75. Either way, it's a solid game that unfortunately most people don't get to enjoy much, because it has a very steep learning curve and kicks everyone's ass for awhile. But once you start to "own" the game, it becomes VERY enjoyable. It is a super big game too.

Well I think you captured the 'feel' of the game just right in your review of it without sound spastic for it. Cybermorph is definitely one of my top 5 games to get if I ever get a Jaguar. Have you played Battlemorph for the Jag CD?

I have, and for whatever reason, I prefer CyberMorph! I am in the minority on this... I think it's just the nostalgia factor. I've been playing CyberMorph since 1994, whereas I only got around to first playing BattleMorph in about 2003. Another thing that turned me off to BattleMorph, it has a bug that screws up your saved game sometimes. :( It does have kick-ass CG scenes and the graphical detail has been improved a bit. There's also some pretty good music during gameplay. It has a different feel from CyberMorph, to me anyway. I dunno, CyberMorph seems a more haunting game. I got the feel of being in alien worlds in CyberMorph. In BattleMorph, I didn't get this feel so much. Maybe weird, and I know I should put more time in BattleMorph... :) CyberMorph just holds a special place in my heart, being the first Jaguar game and one of the first Jag games I experienced.

I have, and for whatever reason, I prefer CyberMorph! I am in the minority on this... I think it's just the nostalgia factor. I've been playing CyberMorph since 1994, whereas I only got around to first playing BattleMorph in about 2003. Another thing that turned me off to BattleMorph, it has a bug that screws up your saved game sometimes. :( It does have kick-ass CG scenes and the graphical detail has been improved a bit. There's also some pretty good music during gameplay. It has a different feel from CyberMorph, to me anyway. I dunno, CyberMorph seems a more haunting game. I got the feel of being in alien worlds in CyberMorph. In BattleMorph, I didn't get this feel so much. Maybe weird, and I know I should put more time in BattleMorph... :) CyberMorph just holds a special place in my heart, being the first Jaguar game and one of the first Jag games I experienced.

Don't ever review a game you don't care about or are just doing to have a review up. It will always show, either way, in your review of how you feel about it. If you love the game, you will naturally come off with a better review than if you are just doing it to do it. That is what makes the first issue of ClassicVGM so good, no one was pressured to review a certain game (I am not affiliated with you guys outside of having written the review and having thoroughly enjoyed the mag, I can just see the passion for writing and games in the way the reviews are written).

Got the digital download during lunch - it made my day, I didn't realize Medieval Mayhem was in it :D I'll have to update my MM page and add the new review (also need to fix the broken image links for the animated Development History Screen Shots).

Hmm - can't copy/paste a text extract out of the PDF, it's password protected. I gather Doug Dingus is potatohead as his new avatar is at the bottom of the review? If so, could you send me the text of the review?

I was also surprised to see my nephew's Deathstar Break-In mentioned in the Batari section. It appears to have been reviewed as if it were a completed game instead of just a 3-day "learn to program" project during one of my trips to Wisconsin. Justin (my nephew) had additional things planned, but never continued with it after I returned home.

Don't ever review a game you don't care about or are just doing to have a review up. It will always show, either way, in your review of how you feel about it. If you love the game, you will naturally come off with a better review than if you are just doing it to do it. That is what makes the first issue of ClassicVGM so good, no one was pressured to review a certain game (I am not affiliated with you guys outside of having written the review and having thoroughly enjoyed the mag, I can just see the passion for writing and games in the way the reviews are written).

Ya, it does make sense to only review games you actually like, atleast somewhat! :D That's very encouraging to hear you are so happy with the first issue! I hope others feel the same.

OK, all, I just came back home after a couple of days off (you know, the beach, the sun, pizza eating, ... you got the idea) and I found this.

Of course, having taken part in the poll, I 'put my money where my mouth was' (is that right?), and I purchased a PDF copy.

It's downloading right now, so I can't tell you my impressions, but I can tell you that I am excited just like buying a paper copy...

edit: I missed an apostrope

Edited by Paolo

• 2 weeks later...