IGNORED

Newbie help with XEGM and 1050 disk drive

AtariX

Set-up: XEGS and 1050 Disk Drive.

Games: Beach Head, Raid Over Moscow, Beach Head II, NAM and Silent Service.

Problem: I run all these games and only Silent Service works. When I try to load up the other games, I get: 48k RAM NEEDED REMOVE CARTRIDGE.

Silent Service is a 48k game, so I know this is not a problem. I run all the diagnostic tests and it says that the memory on my XEGS is fine. Silent Service is the only game that mentions XE compatibility on the box. The other games only mention the 400/800 and XL on the boxes and instructions. I know the games that don't work, were made before the XE line. Do I just have bad software, or do I need a Translator Disk to run the other games on my XEGS?

I'm not sure why your having a problem, I've never owned an XEGS, but I do know it has 64K just like the 65XE and 800XL and should run all the programs they do, which includes the ones you mentioned. Are you holding down the OPTION key when you turn on the XEGS to load these games? I think you have to do that even with the XEGS if I'm not mistaken. Some games WILL load without the option held down as they shut off the internal basic themselves (assuming the XEGS has internal basic like the others in the XL?XE line (except 1200). If basic is not turned off by holding down the option key, you will not have full access to all the memory s basic is using some of it. I know that missle command is also built in to the XEGS, but since I've never owned one, I don't remember how that's activated/deactivated...but if you haven't held down the OPTION button when powering up, give it a try; that may indeed be your problem.

Thanks, Gunstar. I had tried holding down the option key before, but it never seemed to work. After reading your post, I went and tried it agian...and agian...and agian. :D It works! I must either have a fickel 1050 or XEGS, or a short in my option button. I'm thinking it is probably the option button, because Silent Service loads up right away every time. It takes anywhere from a few to 10+ times, but the games eventually load. Now I can enjoy stroming the beach in Beach Head and taking out those evil Commi's in Raid Over Moscow and Nam(ahh...the good old Cold War days ;) ).

Aha, the old option button "gotcha". A dumb decision by Atari. Clearly it should be the reverse: you should hold down option when you need Basic not when you don't need it. Many Operating System rewrites worked this way. Probably stems for the 400/800/1200XL computers which needed Basic carts.

I have an XEGS with the same problem (fickle option button). I think it stems from the crappy round design of the buttons. When playing games (especially through my sio2pc connection) I find I have to reboot many times in order to get the games to load correctly.

I find that my 800XL (square-ish buttons) has a much more reliable Option key. Back in the 80's I don't remember ever having a problem with my 65 XEs Option key either (again, square-ish).

I'd switch to the 800xl, but that detachable keyboard on the XEGS is just such a nice 8 bit feature.