Lynx I or Lynx II?

shadow460

Which Lynx is the best?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which Lynx is the best?

• Lynx I
    • Lynx II

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well, let's see, the PSP is the only portable system that hurts my eyes (both the phat and slim hurt my eyes), and the Game Boy (yes I am going there) forgot what color was for about, oh, several years. Oh, yeah, so did the SuperVision. No color there either. None of the older systems hurt my eyes at all, though.

Number of portables? Too many. I have way too many.

The Gameboy and GG aldo had worse motion blur than the Lynx, though both featured higher vertical resolutions. I still prefer the original gameboy to the pocket though, better "color" (shade) contrast in spite of the blur. The GBC was certianly late to the party... They should have had that at least 2 years earlier. (technically speaking there wasn't anything advanced about it that should have delayed the system either)

Edited by kool kitty89

Why would the PSP scren hurt one´s eyes? It is pretty excellent imho, the best I have ever seen with the DS Lite coming in a close second.

The GameBoy is well known to cause headaches because of the flickering screen though.

But anyway, there is no denying that the Lynx screens are bad seen from today´s standards; they were good for their time, but the quality of portable displays has so heavily been improved the last 20 years it is hard to try and get your mind back to a time when you did not know the better screens.

From my experience (owning a Lynx 1 only), the single worst aspect of the Lynx is basically its washed out colors, with the contrast-adjustment being absolutely pointless because increasing/decreasing it makes the picture unusable pretty quickly.

The Sega Nomad comes to my mind for being the first handheld I have seen to have a remarjebly better picture in that regard, with really lush colors. But both it and the GameGear fall flat on the face when things are moving fast because that leads to blur; that does not seem to happen on Lynx.

Before you asked, I did think my Lynx´screen might be defective when I got it last year, but I had it checked by Lynx owners and the screen is alright; so I am talking about a fully functional Lynx screen here.

It would be so cool if someone made a mod for a modern screen in the Lynx....

Edited by 108 Stars

Why would the PSP scren hurt one´s eyes? It is pretty excellent imho, the best I have ever seen with the DS Lite coming in a close second.

The GameBoy is well known to cause headaches because of the flickering screen though.

But anyway, there is no denying that the Lynx screens are bad seen from today´s standards; they were good for their time, but the quality of portable displays has so heavily been improved the last 20 years it is hard to try and get your mind back to a time when you did not know the better screens.

From my experience (owning a Lynx 1 only), the single worst aspect of the Lynx is basically its washed out colors, with the contrast-adjustment being absolutely pointless because increasing/decreasing it makes the picture unusable pretty quickly.

The Sega Nomad comes to my mind for being the first handheld I have seen to have a remarjebly better picture in that regard, with really lush colors. But both it and the GameGear fall flat on the face when things are moving fast because that leads to blur; that does not seem to happen on Lynx.

Before you asked, I did think my Lynx´screen might be defective when I got it last year, but I had it checked by Lynx owners and the screen is alright; so I am talking about a fully functional Lynx screen here.

It would be so cool if someone made a mod for a modern screen in the Lynx....

The Problem of the lynx screen is, its no standard, cause there where no colorscreens before in this dimensions. So Epyx mades an unique screendesign and you need an FPGA or CPLD to make a bridge beetween modern hardware and that old screen.

Regards Matthias

I don't know. I just know after even a few minutes of gaming on the PSP I cannot easily focus on anything more than a couple feet away. After 60 to 90 minutes, my ability to focus is gone for the evening, and that's even if I take short breaks (3 to 5 minutes) between levels or the recommended 15 minutes per hour.

No other system does that to me. UMD movies will cause the same thing, but only if I watch a couple of them in a row on the small screen. I think it's because the details are so much smaller, like fonts, HUD indicators, etc than they are on an older system like the Lynx. Of course, if I hook up to a regular screen, the PSP doesn't bother me a bit no matter what I am doing with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough choice. I started with a Lynx 2. I had a lot of those and then got a Lynx 1. I do kinda like the old skateboard, but I never used it that much compared to the Lynx 2.

But, I also can't hear all that well. The Lynx 1 speaker blows away the Lynx 2.

But... I do like the Lynx 2 stereo sound with the headphones. Tough choice.

I have to go with Lynx 2 because I just play it more.

Edited by EricDeLee

Which is the better model?

I voted for the Lynx II. The only advantage of the Lynx I is the aluminium case (instead of the Lynx II's plastic one). E.g. the only system where changing game cards is a greater PITA than on the Lynx I is the original N-Gage. Due to the fact that you're unable to switch off the backlight, you can't even pause a game for a reasonable amount of time. The lack of stereo sound is a major drawback in games like Checkered Flag.

Thorsten

I prefer the Lynx I

why?

it feels better in the hands.. sure its wider and bigger.. also i prefer the rubber buttons over the crummy plastic inset buttons on the lynx II

i just wish it didnt have a door by default, and just an easy slide in of the cartridge like the lynxII

I prefer the Lynx I

why?

it feels better in the hands.. sure its wider and bigger.. also i prefer the rubber buttons over the crummy plastic inset buttons on the lynx II

i just wish it didnt have a door by default, and just an easy slide in of the cartridge like the lynxII

Well... only the OPT 1, OPT2 and stuff like that is rubber. You don't always use those a lot. The main buttons (directional and A and B), those are plastic. But they are a bit more comfortable than the Lynx II buttons.

• 3 weeks later...

i voted lynx I, because I liked closing the door on games, and I liked how the speaker was louder. My Lynx II has dust under the screen that is really annoying, my Lynx I never had that problem. I liked the feel of the Lynx I, but the Lynx II has a great feel too. Close call, but Lynx I by a hair.

Lynx I has more "retro"-feeling and cute details like a closing door. It just feels more interesting.

The only bad thing is that the paint peels off.

But I use the Lynx II more because it is much easier to access the dip-switches and attach cables to carts on a Lynx II.

--

Karri