IGNORED

Whos been in this situation?

Goochman

Yup -

Usually Origin would push the limits with the last installment of a series in prepertation for the next generation (U3 multiparty, U6 interactions, etc...) It was a shame that U9 seemed to have alot going for it and showed what coul've been :(

The video bugs were the worst (most of th eplot bugs were fixed), but even today the video stuff crashes the game :(

Back to Atari 8bit stuff though -

I've seen the 'frontpage' of U5 for the 8bit - did anything ever get farther along than that?

After seeing Ultima I on a friends Apple II, I couldn't wait for it to come out for the Atari. He's still waiting for Star Raiders to come out for the Apple II. I finished U1-U4. I think I started U5, but never finished as life started to get in the way. U3 was my fav ... ah the summer of '83.

WRL

I first saw U2 on an Apple - My friend couldnt stop raving about it - I recieved a 'pirate' copy of U2 for the Atari and popped it in - Funny thing though, the disks were mislabled so I was playing the 'planets' vs the regular lands so I couldnt get health/etc and died very quickly (Try making a player disk from the galactic disk and you'll know :? ) - Anyhow, I decided to buy it new and never looked back.

U3 was 'ok' but I finished it so quickly I was bummed - U4 however was a different story - that was my favorite. I played U5 on my ST before moving to the PC for 6/7/8/9.

Nothing beats the originals on the Apple/Atari IMHO!

:D i played u3 & u4 to death... u4 rocked! the moonstones... unfortunatly 1 sector was gone on one of the map discs... "luckily" the one with a dungeon entry... i had all 7 quests done and could not get into the final one...because of the failure of the disc... aaarg... i love ultima... imho it was the one and only "inteligent" role playing games at that time...far far better than balduar's gate... (??? no... i ment Bard's tale... hack 'n slay... ;))

would it not be cool to have U1-5 on GBA???

hve

After seeing Ultima I on a friends Apple II, I couldn't wait for it to come out for the Atari.  He's still waiting for Star Raiders to come out for the Apple II.  I finished U1-U4.  I think I started U5, but never finished as life started to get in the way.  U3 was my fav ... ah the summer of '83.  

WRL

Ultima III was the first Ultima that I played on my Atari 800XL. I finished it successfully then finished II and then finished I. So I played them in backwards order.

Ultima VI is my favorite of the group. Ultima IX could have been awesome but there were things that they needed to have worked out better but Electronic Arts by then only cared about Ultima Online and did not care about IX.

Nothing beats the originals on the Apple/Atari IMHO!

A little off topic, but for those who may not know, the Apple versions of Ultima are super playable in AppleWin. Make it full screen and your pc is instantly transformed into an old AppleII with either monochrome green or color monitor. It's friggin amazing. :P Throw that color gameboy emu away

Yes, I know I constantly talk/rave about this emulator, but it really is one of the best around! Yeah you got stuff like the Atari800win but you can tell those are emus.. they play in a little window or the speed is off or something else is wrong etc.

But Applewin really brings back that old feel that your sitting playing these games on a real AppleII (just be sure to hit the fullscreen button). :)

http://www.jantzer-schmidt.de/applewin/

??? ALT+enter brings atari800win into fullscreen... ;) if you want the real thing... even change the monitor to 50/60hz if possible... :)

hve

Well yeah I know, but on my P-III 600mhz, speed instantly becomes an issue unless I run it in smaller windows. Not to mention for some reason on my soundblaster live, it really fudges the sound (burps and farts)! Don't get me wrong, I dig Atari800win but it has it's fits and still seems tempermental. It does run pretty good on my newer work pc however, both full screen and windowed so I often find myself playing rounds of Agent USA or Cavern of Mars there when goofing off. ;)

On the other hand, Applewin seems to perform solid on most any windows OS I throw at it or whatever pc I run it on (including my ancient laptop.. which atari800win barely seems to scrape by on). But again, they both are used very often. :) I'm sure I or anyone could sit and troubleshoot and tweak Atari800win's environment on any pc, but that takes a couple more minutes than I sometimes am willing to spend. :P Check applewin out though and see, for ease of use, it's tops. :)