IGNORED

PAL-NTSC Conversions

Lucky Man

Woo hoo! Thomas has converted Treasure Island. Apparently it was a very difficult conversion, so I see why you had a lot of trouble with it, Wickey.

Treasure Island (NTSC Conversion) (Thomas Jentzsch).bin

So we only have 3 more left. Although it may not be possible to convert Words-Attack and no one seems to be interested in converting the General Re-Treat hack. That leaves Panda Chase. I'm only getting a slow roll on that game, so, hopefully it won't be a difficult conversion. Anyone wanna give it a try?

• 1 month later...

Hello again "Atari VCS 2600 PAL to NTSC Conversions" enthusiasts. I see you found a Treasure Island NTSC conversion, a really nice, decent and playable conversion (at last) that once I was looking for. Here's where I started my quest. And then, I don't know how, after my frustration I was on my way to "hack" such title into a rom what it seemed to be a conversion, but it was more like a disaster. The file is in this very post.

Here is a very ruff conversion of Treasure Island. Runs at 284 scan lines (not steadily though). Still needs a bit of work.TINTSCconversion.zipEdit: Looks like it has already been partially done:Kampf_um_die_Schatzinsel__NTSC_Conversion___2006___Juan_Arceo_.bin
Where did that 2nd one come from? Was it in the forums somewhere?

Yes, it was somewhere in the forums, with another name. The conversion attempt was a failure, as you can see in this thread. It was glitchy, with a lot of flickering, but at least became "NTSC-esque" according to Stella 2.2. I was responsable of the conversion. After that, ROM PM me, asking for my name, and I told him Juan Arceo is my real name. 4 years later, a week ago, I realized my name was written along with the rom I hacked and it was inside of a .ZIP file, a collection of roms named "Hacks_and_Homebrews_V1.2b_sorted" I found here. Also you can see there other hacks I made, inside the folder "hacks" such as the "Double Dragon Improved", my very first hack where I changed colors and character sprites.

Anyway, it's nice to see that Thomas Jentzsch made a great work by converting "Kampf um die Schatzinsel" or "Treasure Island" into NTSC format that is playable now, unlike my crashy, crappy, newbie attempt. Thank you very much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
FYI, the roms for Time Warp and UFO Patrol (X'Mission) are reversed at theoldcomputer.com and UFO Patrol works fine on my TV. Maybe a Brazilian pirate? :ahoy:

I can't seem to find a NTSC conversion for UFO Patrol/X'Mission, and the site to which Lucky Man linked no longer has that file. Can anyone post a link to a NTSC-compatible version?

I've been playing through some of the PAL-NTSC conversions lately. Some seem perfect, but a few do tend to jitter or roll now and again -- I think Air Raid, King Kong and Ski Hunt were the ones with which I had trouble. This is on a Harmony cart + 4-switcher + Toshiba CRT.

BTW since Panda Chase hasn't been done, I assume Zoo Fun hasn't either?

Edited by thegoldenband

FYI, the roms for Time Warp and UFO Patrol (X'Mission) are reversed at theoldcomputer.com and UFO Patrol works fine on my TV. Maybe a Brazilian pirate? :ahoy:

I can't seem to find a NTSC conversion for UFO Patrol/X'Mission, and the site to which Lucky Man linked no longer has that file. Can anyone post a link to a NTSC-compatible version?

I've been playing through some of the PAL-NTSC conversions lately. Some seem perfect, but a few do tend to jitter or roll now and again -- I think Air Raid, King Kong and Ski Hunt were the ones with which I had trouble. This is on a Harmony cart + 4-switcher + Toshiba CRT.

BTW since Panda Chase hasn't been done, I assume Zoo Fun hasn't either?

I would just use the NTSC Zellers version of Time Warp:

Time Warp (Zellers).bin

As for X'Mission, this is a quick and dirty conversion I did:

X\'mission (NTSC conversion).bin

King Kong has been dumped in NTSC. I remember the rom was originally not correct on AA, but I think I gave it to Al and he did fix it. Hard to remember as it was a while ago... If not here it is again.

King Kong.bin

• Like 1

Hey, thanks very much for those! The X'Mission ROM works very well, though I did see a screen roll once in a while -- once on startup, and a couple times during gameplay on the second level -- but an occasional screen roll beats the heck out of unplayable-PAL-on-NTSC-itude.

King Kong looks great. I actually had the Funvision version of Time Warp on my Harmony cart but had never played it, so I loaded the Zellers instead just now. Interesting game -- I'm surprised by how well it controls in the "labyrinth section" that requires pixel-perfect navigation.

Hey, thanks very much for those! The X'Mission ROM works very well, though I did see a screen roll once in a while -- once on startup, and a couple times during gameplay on the second level -- but an occasional screen roll beats the heck out of unplayable-PAL-on-NTSC-itude.

Does this still roll, or roll less?

Xmission (NTSC) rev2.bin

Here's the ROM for UFO Patrol (X'Mission) that was mislabeled as Time Warp that I downloaded before theoldcomputer.com updated their 2600 ROMs. It seems a bit more stable than your conversion attempt, Omega.

I see. It's the PAL unknown rom in Rom Hunter's collection. 292 scanlines. It will roll on some TV's too (just like Air Raid does).

Did anyone try Rev 2?

• 7 months later...

Wow, I didn't expect it'd take me more than 6 months to check back in -- my apologies for that.

The good news is that I just fired up Rev 2 of Omegamatrix's NTSC conversion of X'Mission on my Harmony cart, and played a couple full games, 8-10 minutes total. I saw no screen rolls or other issues during gameplay (the game rolls once when you first turn it on, but that's a non-issue).

Just to be sure, I went back to the older conversion (MD5 ending in b491), and saw a couple of screen rolls within the first minute. So I'd say Rev. 2 is a keeper! :D

Edited by thegoldenband

That leaves Panda Chase. I'm only getting a slow roll on that game

Same here.

Interestingly, I have a folder marked "PAL ROMs that roll" with two games in it, Panda Chase and Zoo Fun (both marked as "(1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (PAL) ~"). I know Zoo Fun is based on the Panda Chase codebase, but while Panda Chase rolls slowly, Zoo Fun doesn't appear to roll at all. The colors are messed up, though -- what I believe should be a black background is actually pink, and so forth.

I just fired the ROM up in Stella, and counted 291 scanlines. I guess I must have tried it on a different TV (?) that doesn't tolerate such a high count. But the colors could still use fixin' -- or is there another, NTSC version of this ROM? The one I'm testing has an MD5 that ends in 9a7e.

Edited by thegoldenband

Here are some notes that I made before I gave up on Panda Chase. (It starts with MD5s and filenames. Then compares those 5 ROMs.)

82bf0dff20cee6a1ed4bb834b00074e6 *Der hungrige Panda - Panda (Quest) (AKA Panda Chase) (1983) (Quelle) (731.662 3 - 550425) (PAL).bin
0e713d4e272ea7322c5b27d645f56dd0 *Panda Chase (Penda Chase) (1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (VCS83105) (PAL) ~.bin
f8582bc6ca7046adb8e18164e8cecdbc *Panda Chase (Unknown) (PAL).bin
fb833ed50c865a9a505a125fc9d79a7e *Zoo Fun (AKA Panda Chase) (1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (PAL) ~.bin
0fcff6fe3b0769ad5d0cf82814d2a6d9 *Zoo Fun (Suntek) (SS-027) (PAL).bin

/-----------------1-Der hungrige Panda - Panda (Quest) (AKA Panda Chase) (1983) (Quelle) (731.662 3 - 550425) (PAL).bin
!   /-------------2-Panda Chase (Penda Chase) (1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (VCS83105) (PAL) ~.bin
!   !   /---------3-Panda Chase (Unknown) (PAL).bin
!   !   !   /-----4-Zoo Fun (AKA Panda Chase) (1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (PAL) ~.bin
!   !   !   !   /-5-Zoo Fun (Suntek) (SS-027) (PAL).bin
1   2   3   4   5
310 310 296 291 310 Scanlines (GOAL: 262)
NO  NO  YES YES NO  # of scanlines changes when reset is pressed
3       1   5   4  ROMs are identical except for the byte at F040 [This means roms 1&3 and 4&5 are the same except scanlines]
$2D $2D $1C $17 $2D Value of $F040

So I believe if you want Panda Chase to have 291 scanlines, you just change the value of $F040 from $2D to $17.

I also have this note:

I got it down to 294 scanlines:

0040: 2D 20

05DB: F7 F5

07CB: 28 18

(Original values on the left and new values on the right.)

That must be a typo, because Stella 3.4 is reporting 284 scanlines today. Irregardless, you can't see the bottom of the screen with those settings.

I'm a novice, so I may be wrong, but I came to the conclusion that more would have to be changed than what I did with Gefaehrliche Maeusejagd (changing the value before STA TIM64T). Although I haven't played Panda Chase much, it looks like the part that I mark with green in the picture below could be eliminated if a person could track down where that is in the program.

post-19265-0-49126500-1308164714_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for that -- I'll try it out presently! It looks like my copies from ROM Hunter's v5 collection are labeled differently. I have one labeled as

"Panda Chase (Penda Chase) (1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (VCS83105) (PAL) ~.bin"

which has $1C at $F040, and one called

"Panda (Quest) (AKA Panda Chase) (Suntek) (SS-035) (PAL).bin"

that has $2D at the same location.

Edited by thegoldenband

Tried it, and it's definitely stopped the "slow roll" and is mostly stable on my TV screen! The change worked on both versions of the ROM I mentioned, too. I've attached one version to this post, though again all I did was use a hex editor to write $17 to $F040 (listed as $0040 in my hex editor).

It does still need some work though, as I can trigger a screenroll in several different ways, e.g. by going straight up at the beginning of the game and jumping against the post (or whatever it is) at the bottom-center of the screen. And the colors need fixing, of course. But this is progress for sure!

Panda Chase (Penda Chase) (1983) (Home Vision - Gem International Corp.) (VCS83105) (partial NTSC hack) ~.bin

Edited by thegoldenband

Here is a quick run of a disassembly with a hacked version of Distella that I use. I have to go to work tonight (yes during the Stanley cup final too!) so I wouldn't be able to look at this until tomorrow (if nobody does anything with it in the meantime). Basically you want to search for the values loaded into "TIM64T" and change those. Then you have to find all the pointers and write those as labels, and finally you have to adjust the indexes of the playing screens.

PandaChase(re).zip

Edit: added attachment that compiled correctly. :)

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 1

I've been searching for colors. Here's the ASM with what I've got so far.

Panda.zip

UPDATE: I've gotten NTSC colors for all of the main screen except for the score & whatever is at the bottom that is the same color. Also the game-over-background-color hasn't been changed yet.

Edited by dwane413