IGNORED

Crypts of Chaos?

sandmountainslim

How do you "explore" in this game? All I seem to be able to do is go straight forward to a dead end and then do a u-turn back to where I started and shoot things along the way. I LOOKS like it would be a fun dungeon crawl if you knew what you were doing.

Wp

IMO, reading the manual on this one is a necessity. It's a very strange setup. You can indeed explore the maps, but you have to know where the intersections are, which (if memory serves) are noted by color changes. From the manual:

DEAD ENDS/INTERSECTIONS:

When you approach any Intersection, you will automatically slow down. If you are approaching a Dead End or a T-Intersection, the same two visual warning screens will appear (see screens #2 and #3)

The actual T-Intersections and Dead Ends are bright red. If the outside wall segments are missing, you know that you can turn right or left (see screen #4). If the wall segments are visible, it is a Dead End and you must use a U-TURN to go back 9see screen #5). (It is possible to turn from a T-Intersection into another T-Intersection or a Dead End without any visual warning screens.)

Read the HTML manual on the database here. There actually is quite a lot to this odd, convoluted little game.

Read the HTML manual on the database here. There actually is quite a lot to this odd, convoluted little game.

I will read it. As I said, it LOOKS like a fun game. We shall see.

Wp

It had a lot of potential, but I found the controls to be an issue. As you've seen, navigation (simply turning around and looking, or trying to turn corners) is rather difficult. I would have liked to be able to turn and face all four directions at any time, with the graphics making it more obvious whether you were facing a wall, a corridor, an intersection, etc. And the movement is slow, when faster and more fluid movement would have been less frustrating. But the most frustrating thing is trying to control your weapons and attack in a fight. Nevertheless, the idea was good, and even the graphics (although they could have been a lot better) are okay. I made maps of the different levels, which you might want to check out if you're trying to get into the game. Looking back at the maps, another criticism is that the dungeon could have been more interesting-- there are a lot of long, straight corridors, so you spend a lot of time going forward, going forward, going forward, going forward, with very little actually exploring.

Michael

I just couldn't get into this snore. The levels are too indistinct and the way the enemies approach is just lame. The selection of weapons is also stupid, they tried to make it seem like you had a lot of variety, but they're really all the same thing. Would have been better to just leave it at one weapon.

I think this was one that was not based on a film or show. I think it's a totally fresh effort on their parts, though not a good one. I really don't know if it's possible to stand it long enough to get to the end of it, plus it claims things get harder as you go along. I could only imagine an actually bit of difficulty in a game that's difficulty initially stems from figuring out where you're going and what the hell you're looking at.

Here's a couple of links for you. Both are excellent guides to the game, and created by SeaGtGruff here a few years back:

Maps:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...crypts+of+chaos

Guide to what everything is supposed to look like:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...crypts+of+chaos

Enjoy :)

I played this quite a bit yesterday, when I searched for the maps. I have to say I had more fun than I thought. It may not be a real RPG, but it is pretty fun, and your ever-dwindling supplies and health lend it a nice tension level. I like how combat is kind of an action game, and navigating the mazes is easy once you get the hang of it.

All in all, it's a fairly fun game. Not the best, not by a long shot, but an interesting curiosity that is pretty much unique.

Oh, and the gold wizards and dragons suck :D