IGNORED

I getting the parts i need !

My 1040stf have been not use for some time Ive got hold of an 1040 that the drive is not working for $15.00 ;)  I should have a working 1040 soon!

Cool! Just to let you know, don't know if you want to examine that non-working drive or not, but when I got my 1040stf recently, the ex-owner told me that only one disk in a bunch he gave me would work. Well, I was cleaning everything anyway, so I opened up the drive to make sure it had clean heads, etc. and I noticed that the top head had come loose from the mechanism. This was why only the one disk worked; it was single sided. I used a bit of Tester's model glue on it and the drive works great now and loads everything! The point is that it may be a very simple fix, even if you don't really know what you're doing. If it doesn't work anyway, it never hurts to open it up and take a look. 8) You might find that you'll have two working drives with a simple fix or even just cleaning the heads. You'd be suprised at how many people never clean their disk drives and that's why they don't work/load anymore. A similiar thing happened wit a C64-1541 drive I was given; it didn't load anything, but the head turned out to be EXTREMELY dirty, once cleaned, it worked perfectly!

Ill take look at cleaning the heads when I get it in, But I have replacement drive its an older PC drive off of a 386 or 486 all Ive to do is....

1:Set the jummper drive number to 0 that is the setting for the ST ;)

2:Twist the ribboncable so pin 1 is is faceing the power cable on the drive and the PC drive is fastter ;)

3:Cut at the ST top shell where the is drive so the ejcted buttion is showing!

4:And play games!!!!!!!! It saves you about $65.00 or more! :P

Ok, so I have this old "dual" drive from a 386/486 PC that has a 1.44m 3.5" and a 360k 5.25" on it, if I do the same thing I can get these drives to work with it? The PCB board in it is compatible? Or are you taling about strictly the mechanism(s)? It would be great if I could get a 1.44 drive and a 360k floppy up&running on my 1040...could this be hooked to the external drive port on the ST if I make the proper cable? Or, could I install it internally (I know some case modification would be required), and then connect the internal 720k ST drive to the external port?

What you are doing sounds VERY cool. I'd like to implement something similiar! Also, how do you tell on the jumper which is 0? I've looked at that before, when I wanted to install this dual drive into my PC as extra drives B&C (and then morve the HD to D: and the CD to E:!), but I couldn't tell where to put the jumper as there was no numbering, is yours numbered? I'll have to look over mine again....

The drive Ive got is a Teac 3.5 drive, but Ive seen other name brand 3.5 drives with the number setting. Ive just got it installed internally, Im not sure about the dual drive, the info Ive got was just for 3.5 drives :( Ive recall that Atari had 5.25 drive for the ST so what you are talking about might work! ;)

Well, I've been looking over the ST faq and what it says about installing PC drives and the like, so I'll figure it out. But I see 8 slots for jumpers on the "dual" drive (8x2=16pins) I'd imagine these are for the drive number setting, so I guess I'll try both ends and see if one end or the other is the jumper for drive "0." Good'ole trial and error aproach... :roll: I'm missing the actual "jumper" piece though to put on these pins...would that just be a matter of connecting the two pins somehow (like a piece of wire and solder?-anyone?)

• 1 month later...
Ill take look at cleaning the heads when I get it in, But I have replacement drive its an older PC drive off of a 386 or 486 all Ive to do is....  

1:Set the jummper drive number to 0 that is the setting for the ST ;)  

2:Twist the ribboncable so pin 1 is is faceing the power cable on the drive and the PC drive is fastter ;)  

3:Cut at the ST top shell where the is drive so the ejcted buttion is showing!

4:And play games!!!!!!!! It saves you about $65.00 or more! :P

I have a question for you about installing the PC drive, as I'm about to do so...I've noiticed that the ribbon cable in the PC has about five or six wires within the ribbon cable that are twisted over 180 degrees...do I need to do this when installing the PC drive on my ST? Or do I only need to have the entire cable flipped and nothing flipped within the cable? This will be installed as a second drive, so I assume I can leave the jumper where it is (not changed to 0, since my ST drive will still be the A: drive?)? That's all.

Anyone know the answer to my questions above? I've been attempting to use this PC drive, but haven't had luck yet. I think it may be a combination of the cable Possibly not being correct and/or a jumper problem...what is the usual spot for the jumper if you want to drive to be drive 0 and/or 1? I have 4 jumper slots running parrallel to the length of the drive...which end is 0 or 1? Does the part of the parallel cable that is turned over 180 degrees on the PC cable (plugging into the PC drive) stay turned over (about 6 or so wires), or does it need to be flipped over so that the entire cable is all facing the same way (with the red wire closest to the power plug, like on the ST drives?)