IGNORED

Help with a PS1 mod chip

the.golden.ax

I bought a mod chip from a USA site... a couple months later I got the chip from Thialand.... no instructions. Was hoping if I posted some pictures someone may be able to identify it and show me a link to an install guide for the correct one. I have several hundred PS systems in any model, so if there is a best system to use for the job I have it. Any help appreciated. This is not for the purposes of :ahoy:

The chip says 12C508A 04P(e4)0QW 0620

ps1.jpg

AX

Edited by the.golden.ax
  • Like 1

I am guessing there's no instructions on the original site you acquired the said item from

Perhaps you need to contact then and tell them you need instructions, ask them to email them to you

Also why your at it, ask them what version of the PS1 it works with, i am guess there are diff. versions of PS1 as there were PS's

Where connections go on the PSX/PS1 and on the chip varies depending on model of both.

Modchips are generally only compatible with specific models, so you have to ensure you have the right modchip for your series ... there were a number of revisions along the way.

I'm sure I've got some HTML saved somewhere of the "How to...", because I pulled the modchip from my old 7502 model... can't find it right now though.

This link might help a bit http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/

ed - looking at that site again... what I saved is probably just a copy of it.

Edited by Rybags

You will most likely never find the wiring diagram anywhere but the place of purchase. The wiring depends on the code on the PIC chip and you can't figure that out, because the code protection fuse has been set.

Is it me or does that chip look old and used?

Should I ask what USA site you bought from? Divineo is pretty reputable far as I know.

I had one of the old PSX systems with the serial port on the back. I had the mod chip that plugged in there. It worked great.

Wish I could find the site. They had paypal and I'll have to try writing them. The business name on the envelope doesn't come up online, it doesn't match the paypal, that was a person's name, and it took so long I forgot I even ordered it so I don't know what site it was, just that it was the cheapest, and USA unlike the others I had found that day by searching google. They said shipping was 3 - 5 days, it was $11 for the chip + $7 postage... several months later.... At least they didn't shaft me but they may as well have.

AX

• 2 weeks later...

No threadjacking intended here, but I have a modded PS1 that I'd sell if anyone's interested. It was actually the first console I ever modded, god knows how many years ago. It was my buddy's PS1 that wasn't brand new in the stores when he got it, but still well over $125.00, and we did it to play back-up copied rental games. I have no idea what it's worth to anybody, send me a PM if you're interested.

The best PS in my oppinion was the SCPH-75001.. Still had the paralell bus port, and was late enough that the readers didn't crap out.. You can interchange the readers with the SCPH-70001, 75001, and 90001.. This was the last disk-reader design, and generally the most reliable.. but the SCPH-75001 was the last one that still had the paralell port (for cheat devices, etc.)..

If thats the standard "stealth" series PIC microcontroller based ModChip, you should be able to get installation instructions off any number of websites..

The PS2 is not particularly hard to mod.. You just have to have a very fine tip, low-wattage iron, and a nice magnifier... Back when i was doing them, I used an electronics-grade boom-mounted stereo microscope.. Made it relatively easy to see & know for sure that each solder joint was good, and no solder bridges, etc..

But theres really no need to mod a PS2.. Just use the Independance Day Exploit.. Then get the network adaptor, stick a maxtor diamondmax series EIDE hardisk in it, and you can boot from memory card and just copy original games directly onto the hardisk.. Or just use your PC to load the hardisk up with images downloaded from the internet.. I dont know about the new "slimline" PS2s.. Those came out about the time I quit messing with them.. But last i heard, people were using external USB hardisks with them in much the same way..

Edited by MEtalGuy66