IGNORED

Vertical scrolling through a playfield that won't fit the screen

jbs30000

Will someone tell me why this won't work? I'm trying to create a Mario-type level where a character falls down (like H.E.R.O.), but it keeps saying it doesn't like COLUP0 for some reason.

For one thing, you need to take the bank 2 out at the end, because you don't have any bankswitching selected. I was able to get it to compile and run by putting spaces around the equal signs, less thans, and greater thans everywhere you didn't have spaces. Apparently there are times when spacing is required, or the compiler has trouble parsing.

Michael

Ha, you beat me to it! :)

Edited by SeaGtGruff

I discovered a limitation. You can only make a playfield 48 pixels high, or 4 X the standard playfield height. If you go more than that your program won't compile.

I wonder if you could insert the appropriate code yourself-- using either inline assembly or a data statement, and setting the PF variables yourself-- rather than trying to use the playfield command?

Michael

I'm reading data statements into ram as it is, so it doesn't matter if those data statements are asm generated or bB generated. It's just easier to let bB interpret dots and X's since every other byte is reversed. Or, in other words, since X.......X....... would come out to 1000000000000001 and not 1000000010000000.

I'm reading data statements into ram as it is, so it doesn't matter if those data statements are asm generated or bB generated. It's just easier to let bB interpret dots and X's since every other byte is reversed. Or, in other words, since X.......X....... would come out to 1000000000000001 and not 1000000010000000.

Well if that's the case, how about breaking it up into two separate playfield statements for an initial version, then after you compile it, grab the compiled code for the two different playfield statements and paste the data together so it's like it came from a single playfield statement, and recompile it again?

Michael

I just realized that you can use sdata to make a playfield as big as you want. Granted you could only scroll down, and after initially filling the screen, you would need to move all the playfield blocks up by one, and then read the next line of data, but still.

Something like

sdata myplayfield=a

-insert data here

end

for temp1=0 to 47

playfield[temp1]=sread(myplayfield)

next

for the initial screen, and then

SUP_Loop

temp1=4

for temp2=0 to 3

temp3=(temp1-4)+temp2

temp4=temp1+temp2

playfield[temp3]=playfield[temp4]

next

if temp1<12 then temp1=temp1+4: goto SUP_Loop

for scrolling the screen up, and then finally

for temp1=47 to 47

playfield[temp1]=sread(myplayfield)

next

to read the new bottom line of the screen.

Note: I actually haven't tried this myself, it's an educated guess, but it should work.

• 4 years later...

I just realized that you can use sdata to make a playfield as big as you want. Granted you could only scroll down, and after initially filling the screen, you would need to move all the playfield blocks up by one, and then read the next line of data, but still.

I haven't tryed any of this (except to see that it compiles)

You can make a data statement with more than 256 bytes,

you just can't address more than the first 256 from bB

in the usual way. Though you can with some tricks.

It appears that bB just tacks on "_begin" to the sdata name.

so

sdata mydata = a

is like

data mydata_begin

you should be able to work with the sdata pointer as an 8.8

format variable.

for the above sdata statement you'd define the variable thusly

dim mydatapointer = b.a

To move down or up a line you'd do something like this

rem down

mydatapointer = mydatapointer + 0.016

rem up

mydatapointer = mydatapointer - 0.016

.016 is more than 4/256 but less than 5/256 in decimal

bB truncates to 4/256 in binary

You could define constants for bB for the begining of

the sdata

const beginlo = <mydata_begin

const begin_hi = >mydata_begin
rem reset pointer to beginning of the data

a = beginlo : b = beginhi

or you could assign the begin constants to an 8.8 variable

so that you could work with a relative pointer

If you set the noinlinedata optimization you can

make a data statement and an sdata statement with

the same data (and different names) by defining

an empty sdata statement immediately followed by

a data statement with the data.

set optimization noinline data

sdata mydata = a

end

data mydata_

0, 1, 2, 3, 4

end

I think I'd define a bunch of functions or macros

to do stuff like increment the pointer with wrapping

or do comparisons (for eg determining when to wrap)

• 1 year later...

I was wondering how I would introduce the King Rabbit in the Celery movie I'm making, and something reminded me of this thread. So I tried to put the code in, and it just produces a bunch of garbage as the playfield and not the intended playfield I put in there. Why? The code for this scene starts at line 2,046 in my code I'm posting. What am I doing wrong here?

celerymovie20.bas

• 5 months later...

I don't need left or right scrolling, so this is good enough for me.

Except I've run into a problem.

The code example only seems to work if it's at the beginning of a bank. I tried to put it in the middle of a bank, but it doesn't like it. The thing back in February worked only because it was at the beginning of a bank, I discovered. Does anyone know why? For this version to work, I had to put scene 12 at the beginning of bank 3 because it wouldn't work otherwise. It just gave me a scrambled playfield with seemingly random blocks on or off. I put it at the beginning of bank 3 (line 1,349 in the code example attached), and it works OK.

celerytwo13.bas