IGNORED

THE LOUDEST ARCADE GAMES

retrorussell

Hey gang,

What were the loudest arcade machines you can remember? The ones that you clearly heard the booming, zapping, crashing, etc. from over the other machines.

I hated when they were just as loud in their attract/demo mode. Shut up already!

I'm guessing there's no easy way to answer this, 'cause I'm sure the arcade operators had the option of adjusting the volume levels on these machines. Also, it seemed a lot of them would get real quiet, or go completely silent, because their speakers were blown.

What I have always loved, though, were the rich, musical tones that emanated from Tron and Reactor.

• Like 3

No matter what arcade I was in, Sinistar always seemed to be really loud and heard over just about every other game. Might have been because it spoke and laughed while in Demo mode. I also think the Black Night Pinball machine had the same effect for the same reason. -JR

• Like 2

Black Knight 2000 is a loud machine, and it should be. Its the atmosphere with that game that really makes it, and that includes the booming Black Knight.

Although you guys have never played the game without an updated speaker system in the cab, with a sub on the bottom of the cabinet. He REALLY booms!

I'm guessing there's no easy way to answer this, 'cause I'm sure the arcade operators had the option of adjusting the volume levels on these machines. Also, it seemed a lot of them would get real quiet, or go completely silent, because their speakers were blown.

What I have always loved, though, were the rich, musical tones that emanated from Tron and Reactor.

I'm sure they could have adjusted the volume but I'm guessing unless the machine had a pot or two go bad or something they probably didn't screw with it (or let someone who knew how to fix them screw with it). I faintly recall a couple machines being that way, I guess you could just state the titles you remember always being at a certain high volume. Anyhoo:

Ones that just boomed for me were Time Pilot 84, Lost Tomb, Sinistar, Defender, Robotron 2084, and the pre-round music on Demolition Derby.

I used to have the Reactor music as my outgoing message for my voice mail. This one dude I know who's an "electronica" recording artist got all excited when he called me, 'cause he thought the music was an original composition that I had created.

Funny story! You should've just said it was yours and took all the credit.

Glad to see people enjoying my videos. I'm trying to show the games that were a bit rare that I came across and wanted to see if people remembered them very well. There's a few other YouTubers that are doing a lot of rare arcade game videos, and I'm trying not to duplicate them.

The loudest game I ever heard was Super Mario Pinball. This one arcade and sports complex you could hear it from a long way away yelling "OH YOSHI!". My friend only played the game on purpose. It could be dead silent in that place and no matter what they'd have that game at full volume. You stand next to it and would get an ear/headache.

BK2000 is one that is sometimes up loud. AHHHHH you go the power..

• Haha 1

I didn't even realize that was another one of your! Five stars and favorited. I'm surprised some hip-hop artist hasn't sampled that beat and done something with it.

Hey, thanks Flightsuit!

My other alias is indeed CrazyClimber80.. I was gonna go with a "retro"-something name and they were all taken so I went with my fave game as a youth..

Some Exidy games were a bit loud. I remember there was a weird sound during the game over/segue to high scores screen that would kind of boom through the speakers on Mouse Trap.

I didn't even realize that was another one of your! Five stars and favorited. I'm surprised some hip-hop artist hasn't sampled that beat and done something with it.

Dj Tony Fox released a remix CD at Digital Press several years ago and had a remix version of Reactor called Crystal Reactor. I need to dig out my CD and convert it to mp3's.

Thanks for posting that Reactor vid on YouTube. It is almost impossible to find any info on the game. My two favorite arcade games are Reactor and Red Alert. Both insanely difficult to find.

In an arcade I used to go to, they had an old (OLD) Red Baron cockpit game. They had that sucker CRANKED. Whenever the planes appeared on-screen, the BYOOP-BYOOP-BYOOP!!! warning would split your eardrums. And when you crashed, the sound would literally shake the walls of the cockpit. It was kind of neat, but I was hard of hearing each time I played it.

• Haha 1

Dj Tony Fox released a remix CD at Digital Press several years ago and had a remix version of Reactor called Crystal Reactor. I need to dig out my CD and convert it to mp3's.

Thanks for posting that Reactor vid on YouTube. It is almost impossible to find any info on the game. My two favorite arcade games are Reactor and Red Alert. Both insanely difficult to find.

I wanna hear that remix!

I was about to be impressed with myself for remembering who designed Reactor, but then I kept reading and realized why his name is still in my brain after all these years:

Tim Skelly

One of my favorite racers, Hydro Thunder can always be heard thundering its quotes above the din:

Brake to floor, GO!

Turn signals...signals are GO

Ejection system, we have a GO!

three, two, one, GO, GO, GO!!

If that's not enough, Hydro Thunder featured a subwoofer under the seats.

Then my favorite pinball table could also be heard as well. If speakers didn't make enough racket, the machine itself did!

*beep* *beep* *beep*

Hey, player one! FREEZE!!

*roar as T Rex eats the ball*

*loud snap as the Raptor pit launches ball into glass*

Stampede! go, go, go, go

Another of my favorite racers, usually this line was spoken right before I slammed the turbo control into the panel for the last time

...and in the lead, we have Anakin Skywalker!!"

This one could always be heard as one walked into a certain arcade at Naval Station Norfolk in 1999. It's Time Crisis 1.

There's been a kidnapping. It's Rachel, the daughter of the President of Sercia

And finally, how can anyone miss this pinball machine?

You can do it...with the Black Knight!

Give me your money!

Oh, yeah, let's not forget Gyruss with that awesome classical soundtrack. Thought it's not loud, it's very catchy.

Edited by shadow460
  • Haha 1