IGNORED

THE LOUDEST ARCADE GAMES

retrorussell

Neo, my favorite is still your Reactor mash-up. I'd love to hear what you could do with Tron.

Ooh, here's another one:

Aardvark!

Moon Patrol might also be interesting.

But my heart's desire would be Tron, if you're up to it.

Tron would no doubt kick ass.

Did you mean Anteater, FlightSuit?

Yes, I meant to say "Anteater!"

Is there even such a thing as a game called "Aardvark?"

What a funny mistake for me to make!

Hee, hee!

Somebody needs to edit the Wikipedia entry,

Aardvark

...and make sure the Anteater game is included under "mythology and popular culture!"

Aw man.. I thought you were done with drugs! lol

Doesn't look like there was ever an "Aardvark" game. Not in the US, at least.

• 5 years later...

Moving back on topic, when Rolling Thunder first came out, the bad guy's laugh would be heard throughout the arcade if the game was on demo mode. I was playing Xevious, all seemed to be fine, when suddenly I hear "MUHEHEHEHEHEHE" full blast. I screamed at the top of my lungs. I was fourteen.

• 3 weeks later...

The arcade machine itsef wasn't particularly loud but you could ALWAYS hear Colossus screaming in the X Men arcade. Over the racket of 30 other machines in the arcade you could always count on the 'haaaaaaarrrrrrghhh' to cut through the noise.

• Haha 1

The arcade machine itsef wasn't particularly loud but you could ALWAYS hear Colossus screaming in the X Men arcade. Over the racket of 30 other machines in the arcade you could always count on the 'haaaaaaarrrrrrghhh' to cut through the noise.

"WELCOME...TO DIE!"

At my old arcade where I grew up in, Computer Space was the game that was always loud.

• Confused 1

My Defender has some wattage behind it. It can get incredibly loud with no distortion when cranked up.

I've found most old arcade games can get quite loud when turned up.

Loudest game I remember on location would be a Space Invaders at K-Mart. An employee covered the speaker with a thick layer of foam and duct tape to try and quiet it down. I played one game and it shook with each thump. After playing, I pulled off the foam (just to be an ass) and went to find my mom. Wasn't long before someone put in a quarter and I could hear it in the middle of the store.

• Haha 1

One arcade I was in two days ago had Konami's Wheel of Fortune theme song playing loud if you were near it. But the loudest was Ribbit Racin'. That thing BLARED all through the arcade.

Yesterday at FunWorld the Cliffhangers music from the Price is Right coin game kept playing. They had Ribbit Racin', but I didn't hear it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Without a doubt, Robotron: 2084 and Defender. They were both loud, angry, and unapologetically noisy, like a good American arcade game should be.

Yes, this. Joust as well. I love those early Williams noises, they're so evocative of a magic time. I've been playing a little Firepower pinball (virtually, sadly) to get a bit more of them.

Hydro Thunder and other later shouty Midway games are ANNOYING and I don't think that's what the original poster was going for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was in 1984 when we used to play Space Ace in the arcades, which was necessarily loud ! That was to make us listen "beep" and "boop" sounds to determine if a move had been accepted or not.

BUT in the same year came a great game which was "enclosed" in a huge three-monitors cabinet and with a really powerful sound system !

... maybe too powerful :-o :) ! The noise of the engines, especially when cars enter the gallery, echoing almost throughout the whole arcade !!!

Beautiful game, indeed ! ... even better than Pole Position and than the high-tech laserdsic-based game "Laser GrandPrix".

TX-1

post-10922-0-24792400-1452002193_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

I always remember the announcer of Killer Instinct being super loud, especially when someone would do a combo and he would yell out phrases like "ULTRAAA COMBOOO!!!".

There was a interview with Ken Lobb (the games designer) awhile back I saw and he mentioned that they programmed the game so the announcer would always be a few pegs louder than whatever the main games audio setting is, so the announcers voice would always seem louder than the game itself.

Edited by leglock