IGNORED

How to Create Custom 7800 Pacman Hacks!

jwierer

I stupidly didn't save links (largely because I didn't find much). I used Google and Bing on "Pac Man Argentina", "Pac Man Venezuela" and "Ms Pac Twin" and got a handful results in a few MAME message forums, but concrete information was unfortunately very, very limited.

You really picked an obscure on this time. :)

Edited by Jaynz

Ha!

This is pretty cool! Next WIP:

- There are one player and two player options. The one player option plays against the 'computer' :D

- The monsters go after the closest player. If one player is not alive they automatically go after the other only.

- When you die, you start off exactly where you died (in fact you never leave the screen until you lose all lives). This is good; when you are dying, the monsters go after the other player so it should give you enough time when you start again. (If not, oh well) :evil:

- First person to clear the maze ends it for the other player as well.

This is kind of fun and where it will stay, until we get the actual rules from the real game. Of course if there are any bugs, please let me know.

However I do need to adjust the HSC values, change the select screen, and change the Logo on the splash screen.

Have fun!

Bob

MsPacTwn.A78

MsPacTwn.BIN

• Like 6

Ha! :)

I actually signed up at VAPS just to contact the BFG9000 person. Then, once I did, I found that his last activity was a few years ago, and he's no longer a member. (why does he still show up then?) :mad:

Anyway, I don't remember seeing "Bart van Elderen", so when I get home I'll look my credentials up and see if I can get a hold of him.

Thanks,

Bob

*EDIT* - Damn. same message as BFG9000: "We found the user they want to send to, but we can't send to them currently. Either their account has been banned, or more likely we have recorded that their email address is not currently valid."

:(

Edited by PacManPlus

Well, played around with the game... so, am I free to make suggestions, or is this one iced pending potentially finding the original?

Personally, I would think that since the game is distinctive, that there's more to be gained by finishing up as its own beast than worrying about strict conformity to a game that's not even consistent with itself. :) Right now it just feels ALMOST done, with only some polish and tweaks to make it a unique and worthwhile entry into the Atari PacMan library.

Well Bob did do Crazy Otto so stranger things have happened. But Crazy Otto had much greater historical significance. I'm all for preserving this odd variant but it's not that often I have a friend over to share two-player games with. And my fiance sucks at Pacman. :P

Still would be fun to tackle this by playing both players simultaneously with a Robotron style joystick. :D

Edited by stardust4ever

Hey Guys!

Suggestions are always welcome, but please keep in mind this version is only here until we get the actual game to work from. My goal was to port that version.

It's not to say that I can't make another version (a'la PMC) in the same game. :)

• Like 2

All right, so I don't want to demand TOO much, then. ;)

Well, at this point I would say to redo the title and match it to the screens we've seen, and have the starting speed match the apple screen. (Game play is much faster in the attract mode, which usually for Pac games is the starting level. Lastly, the player count boxes could be done. (Red and green boxes counting the number of lives left.)

After that I had gameplay thoughts that aren't backed up by what little evidence we have, sadly.

Hey Guys!

Suggestions are always welcome, but please keep in mind this version is only here until we get the actual game to work from. My goal was to port that version.

It's not to say that I can't make another version (a'la PMC) in the same game. :)

Well with three known copies, I'm not certain this will ever get dumped. WE can all dream though, but untill someone desolders the ROMs and dumps them, we'll never know for sure. Being such a rare collector's item, it would be foolhardy to suggest to an owner to risk destroying the moboard in the interest of preservation. The right owner would have to come along to loan the board out for this service. Maybe a very generous person will come forth and loan out his PCB for dumping. Be great to get this running in MAME.

Well with three known copies, I'm not certain this will ever get dumped. WE can all dream though, but untill someone desolders the ROMs and dumps them, we'll never know for sure. Being such a rare collector's item, it would be foolhardy to suggest to an owner to risk destroying the moboard in the interest of preservation. The right owner would have to come along to loan the board out for this service. Maybe a very generous person will come forth and loan out his PCB for dumping. Be great to get this running in MAME.

The game is no rarer than the Bradley Trainer, "...there were only two Bradley Trainers ever built." Another example is Primal Rage 2, "...there are only two Primal Rage 2 arcade boards in existence...". Both in MAME.

There's also a slew of Prototypes, once thought lost or will never be dumped - such as Sparkz (Only one copy exists) and Beat Head (One copy); or even the Major Havoc prototype, Alpha One. Those and a plethora of others considered extremely rare, all dumped and in MAME.

Indeed, hopefully the right owner will come along, or a very generous person, or some unforeseen circumstance.

In fact, the majority of the Ms. Pac-Man Twin PCB ROMs have been dumped. However...

I highly doubt the EPROM's are soldered into the board.

U4 was soldered - at least it is on the arcade board the other ROMs that have been dumped were acquired from. It is the last remaining ROM that has not been dumped.

Source: http://robbie.mameworld.info/mspactwn.htm

"The main pacman pcb has only two 2716/2516 eproms (dumped). I dunno if necessary, but the rest 6 x 2732/2532 eproms were removed. The owner didn't allow me to dump the U4 (eeprom) because it was soldered. Hopefully some day... "

Anyway, testing the new version...

Minor nit, the screen actually displays the '1', '2', '3', '4' in the lives boxes. Yes, that means more sprites, or just overlaying score numbers on the square. I did notice the intermissions switch off the colors on them - maybe set the color information as the appropriate Pac's second color rather than (I think) the dots?

No getting around it, the title screen would have to be completely redone to match the hack. Granted, this may wind up saving some space...

Other thoughts when you're reading for them. (For those things not in evidence with the pics and videos we have.)