IGNORED

Price to rent a programmer?

lucifershalo

If I want a programmer to do a game for me (2600 one)

how much is that going to cost me?

:love:

I asked several people on here a couple of years ago for the same thing but there were no takers. Most just told me that they had no spare time for personal projects ;)

Pitch the game to us if you want a general idea of how much it may cost, or (more likely) for us to tell you that the game is not possible as presented :) But, if you do post the idea, we can make suggestions that could make an otherwise impossible game possible.

If the game idea is simple enough, it might be possible under bB instead of assembly, in which case you are much more likely to find a willing programmer.

in fact it is more like a hack of DIG DUG to include some of the elements of DIG DUG ARRANGEMENTS

like the bonus tools (shovels, super pump,etc)

different rocks (normal ones, double size, rolling ones)

different enemies (digging ants, etc)

and the boss (super giant Pooka or other ones) that you need to pump in 3-5 sessions before destroying it or that you need to crush under a rock first

If I want a programmer to do a game for me (2600 one) how much is that going to cost me?

A guy recently paid me US$45/hour for a small bit of coding. Even at minimum wage rates your cost for something coded from scratch will probably run into the thousands of dollars.

You given a better indication of what you are wishing for, now how much are you willing to spend to see it made?

Since we coders usually have a long, long list of unfinished or want to be done, interesting projects, it is tough to get us doing a project for someone else.

The key to interest us is either a lot of money or a great

concept (better than anything we already have on our list) (for me that was e.g. Boulderdash). Since programming a decend game from scratch requires hundreds of hours, the 1st is most likely way beyond what you would like to spend. And the 2nd is up to you.

has anyone been hired to program a 2600 homebrew, already?

To add to the points before. If you want the coding done cheaply you'll need to find a programmer who :-

A) Likes Dig Dug as much or more than you do (the passion!).

B) Knows how to program the 2600 (the knowledge!).

C) Hasn't got any hobby projects to do of their own (the time!).

I suspect you'll be waiting quite a while for the right person to come along. In the mean time you could learn 6502, the 2600 internals and then make a start on the game yourself ;).

can I smell elitism?? :D

First - how much is your time worth? Whether it's minimum wage, $200/day or $45/hour, the programmer should be paid a reasonable amount for the time they will put into the project.

Second - how many hours did you expect it would take to create your dream game? Several of the responders have created 2600 games so don't assume their estimates are excessive.

Multiply the two numbers together and you have a price. Make your offer and see whether you get a response. But don't be surprised if no-one who doesn't share your dream and passion takes you up on the offer.

Now, if the game can be created in bB then the task becomes easier. But bB has many limitations, so it's not always possible to create a given game with bB. (And not all games can be created on the 2600 because of it's limitations, no matter how skilled the programmer.)

Personally, I'd take GroovyBee's recommendation. Take your desire and passion and make the game yourself. All of us started somewhere.

Is the 1st link related to the 2nd?

Yes. The first link is a post from a programmer hired to make a game. The second link is a review of that game - N.E.R.D.S, and of another game - The Last Ninja - that was contracted to a second programmer-for-hire.

Maybe they're looking for more work... :roll:

Edited by Nathan Strum

Yes. The first link is a post from a programmer hired to make a game. The second link is a review of that game - N.E.R.D.S, and of another game - The Last Ninja - that was contracted to a second programmer-for-hire.

Maybe they're looking for more work... :roll:

Reminds me at the programmers for the Flashback 2 games. :roll: