IGNORED

Ultrasatan arrived

Ive got a few questions:

1. There is a spot for a power cable to attach - is it needed as mine didnt come with one?

2. What do I need to setup my HD? Id like to create as big partitions as possible - I have a Mega 2 ST

3. I have an ICD HD that Id like to transfer content from - would it be hard to connect this to my current HD (The HD has a DMA pass through) or not and copy data across - then make the UltraSatan the boot drive?

Thanks!

Ive got a few questions:

1. There is a spot for a power cable to attach - is it needed as mine didnt come with one?

2. What do I need to setup my HD? Id like to create as big partitions as possible - I have a Mega 2 ST

3. I have an ICD HD that Id like to transfer content from - would it be hard to connect this to my current HD (The HD has a DMA pass through) or not and copy data across - then make the UltraSatan the boot drive?

Thanks!

You need a power supply to use the ultrasatan. Between 7v - 9v (No more) and it needs to be DC not AC. You will also need hddriver or something similar. Best thing to do, is checkout atari-forum as there will be a thread on how to set the thing up. Also check out the site you bought it from, it has a "how to" guide which should help.

http://joo.kie.sk/ultrasatan/

Should have mine soon :)

Edited by blackpanther

It looks like the power supply needs to be DC 7V 300mA and either polarity will work. I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether it needs a regulated power supply.

Mitch

Help a newbie out once you pick yours up - none of your msg above makes sense to me :)

OK, I see a voltage regulator on the parts list so I think it's safe to assume that it does not require a regulated power supply. Though a regulated power supply would probably output cleaner power. When I'm at Fry's tonight I'll see what they've got.

Mitch

OK, I went by Fry's and picked up a cheap 2GB SD card. For the power supply I ended up getting a regulated adjustable power supply since it was only a couple bucks more than the unregulated ones. Goochman it is a Rhino PST-1800ME/FU power supply. Here's a link to it on the Fry's web site. If you are in a hurry an Atari Jaguar power supply should do the trick.

So far everything is working pretty good. Got it formated and booting from the satandisk. :)

Now I just need to figure out how set the clock, see the drive icons for drives other than C and figure out how to access the SD card partitions from Windows. I'm getting there.

Mitch

I figured out how to add the drive icons on the desktop. I knew I should know how to do that.

For seeing the SD drive in Windows apparently you have to use pasti via Steam. Kind of a pain but still better than copying stuff over by way of floppies I guess.

I'm still not sure what's up with the system clock thing. I thought the UltraSatan had one built-in but the startup screen says it's N/A. :ponder:

Mitch

For seeing the SD drive in Windows apparently you have to use pasti via Steam. Kind of a pain but still better than copying stuff over by way of floppies I guess.

I haven't received my Ultrasatan yet, but on my Satandisk you can use a fat formatted SD card that is seen by both windows and the ST (dependent on TOS version though).

I haven't received my Ultrasatan yet, but on my Satandisk you can use a fat formatted SD card that is seen by both windows and the ST (dependent on TOS version though).

Yes, I suspect my 1040ST TOS 1.2 is too old to handle that. I guess I could try it though.

I also just found the UltraSatan clock utilities file.

Mitch

So an Atari Jaguar Power Supply will work? I have an extra one of those - as for TOS/Windows compatibility on the SD card here is a topic I found:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15764&p=138643

Seems you can only have 1 partition.

I didn't test it but a Jag supply meets the specs.

I looked at that topic but didn't really see much that helped. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using ICDPro and not HDDriver? The UltraSatan can see the Windows formatted card fine but I don't see a way to enable the drive and assign it a drive letter without reformatting it.

Mitch

So an Atari Jaguar Power Supply will work? I have an extra one of those - as for TOS/Windows compatibility on the SD card here is a topic I found:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15764&p=138643

Seems you can only have 1 partition.

I didn't test it but a Jag supply meets the specs.

I looked at that topic but didn't really see much that helped. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using ICDPro and not HDDriver? The UltraSatan can see the Windows formatted card fine but I don't see a way to enable the drive and assign it a drive letter without reformatting it.

Mitch

The Jag supply worked fine - my bigger problem is I have an old ICDFAST SCSI drive hooked up and I want to copy across. I think my problem is both the US and ICD drive have LUN 0/0 - The US takes 0/0 and 1/0 - Im wondering how I can change the LUN on the ICD drive to something else?

The Jag supply worked fine - my bigger problem is I have an old ICDFAST SCSI drive hooked up and I want to copy across. I think my problem is both the US and ICD drive have LUN 0/0 - The US takes 0/0 and 1/0 - Im wondering how I can change the LUN on the ICD drive to something else?

Well, you can change the UltraSatan ID, see here. Once you finished copying your data you can unplug the ICD drive and change the UltraSatan ID back.

Mitch

Well, you can change the UltraSatan ID, see here. Once you finished copying your data you can unplug the ICD drive and change the UltraSatan ID back.

Mitch

THANK YOU! :)

Ive gotten things setup so far - however Im moving all my old stuff on to 1 partition - I have TOS 1.04, is there a limit of files/folders on a disk? It crapped out and in fact I thought I lost my drive. I cant delete a folder with the files where the copy stopped but the rest of the files seem ok.

I also want to move SPECTRE drive content to the Ultrasatan but Im not sure if I can do this or not - any Spectre experts out there?

Ive gotten things setup so far - however Im moving all my old stuff on to 1 partition - I have TOS 1.04, is there a limit of files/folders on a disk? It crapped out and in fact I thought I lost my drive. I cant delete a folder with the files where the copy stopped but the rest of the files seem ok.

I also want to move SPECTRE drive content to the Ultrasatan but Im not sure if I can do this or not - any Spectre experts out there?

OK, had some spare time so I just set it all up. I'll install it on my old TOS 1.04 and check it out for you.

Will get back to you shortly.

I think I ran into an issue with TOS 1.04 and moving too many files at once - I set everything back up and tried copying things less than 256 at a time and everything moved ok.

I seem to recall TOS did have issues with this in the past so hopefully I am moving forward now - unfort it seems some of my old applications dont work like Spectre and such :( - I get bombs on the screen..........

Try another memory card. I'm in the process of installing the device on another ST so I'll check it all out.

How come your only using a 256mb card?

I have a 2gb card - I am using 256mb partitions since it was recommended to use this on other forums with older versions of TOS.

Hmm, maybe creating a new HFS partition on your Satandisk and then booting both the old and new together. Then do an OS install and copy the data ?

I already have an SD card that has a TOS and HFS partition on it from using the Satandisk, so I just moved the card :)

So far the Ultrasatan is working great. On my MSTE right now, I've got a 4GB internal CF card (0), and the US hooked up with a 1GB TOS/FAT32 card (2) and the TOS/HFS Spectre card (3) in slot 2. And it's working like a charm! :D

For anyone having problems booting a TOS/FAT card check your TOS versions for limitations first, then start out trying a small (i.e. 25MB) partition on the card.

Edited by remowilliams