IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Is there a FAQ page for this device and the CV2? I'd like to 'invest' but i'm not sure as to the differences. As I understand it, The CV2 won't have all the capabilities of the CV1. Correct? In addition, the SGM that's releasing soon will not have all the features of the CV2. I've also read something about a megacart, but I don't really understand. Can someone please help a n00b since opcode didn't? (not that I'm pushing hate towards him)

I didn't help you?

The Super Game Module is an expansion device for the regular ColecoVision. It increases RAM and improves sound. Because of that some "more advanced" games are possible.We have at least 6 games planned for the SGM this year with hopefully many more to come.

The MegaCart2 is a new ColecoVision cartridge capable of "bank switching". A regular CV cartridge is limited to 32KB of ROM, while a MegaCart2 can be as large as 1MB. In addition to that the MegaCart2 can save data, like high-score tables and more. So the MegaCart2 isn't a new "platform" like the SGM, but instead it is more like improved media.

The ColecoVision2 is vaporware at this point. Nothing is set in stone. However it should be backward compatible with the CV+SGM. In the worst case it should be a CV1 with a SGM built-in. In the best case it would offer that and more.

• Like 1

will the CV2 have the expansion slot to support the 2600 and adam expansion?

That depends. The ColecoVision was designed in such a way that it is super expansible. However the ADAM took some of that capability away, since it was already an expansion itself. So for example, if we add more RAM to the CV2, that would conflict with the ADAM RAM and so on. Of course we could create mechanisms to avoid such conflicts, like creating special registers to enable features, but there is always the risk of some rogue software enabling things by mistake and bang!

On the other hand, if the CV2 ends being nothing more than a CV1+SGM, then chances are that we could keep the expansion port.

Edited by opcode

The good news is that we already have about 100 pre-orders for the SGM, and I haven't even started to heavily advertise it yet. I haven't contacted the about 400 names in my customer list for example. So I am optimistic that the SGM is going to be a successful platform...

Tomorrow is going to be a very exciting day, with both prototypes here...

• Like 3

The PCB is here. And it fits perfectly in the original auto dialer case. Let's see when the prototype SGM case arrives later today.

Now I need to assemble it ASAP and make any necessary adjustments to the next version so we can go beta.

post-1432-0-51705500-1332859922_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-93165100-1332859931_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The PCB is here. And it fits perfectly in the original auto dialer case. Let's see when the prototype SGM case arrives later today.

Now I need to assemble it ASAP and make any necessary adjustments to the next version so we can go beta.

Just curious is your prototype SGM case 3D printed?

The SGM case. Prototype is kind of white clear, final will be black. Also, the finishing isn't representative of the final case. Final case will have the same finishing as the ColecoVision.

So is the prototype case 3D printed? I'm just curious as I have need of some plastic work for a project of my own and was wondering about the quality and your experience with it.

Or did you have a mold made already?

The SGM case. Prototype is kind of white clear, final will be black. Also, the finishing isn't representative of the final case. Final case will have the same finishing as the ColecoVision.

So is the prototype case 3D printed? I'm just curious as I have need of some plastic work for a project of my own and was wondering about the quality and your experience with it.

Or did you have a mold made already?

It was 3D printed. The finishing quality isn't the same as mold, and they say it isn't as resistent. The idea here is just to check if the case fits before ordering a mold.

It was 3D printed. The finishing quality isn't the same as mold, and they say it isn't as resistent. The idea here is just to check if the case fits before ordering a mold.

Cool. I may have to pick your brain a bit down the line (if you have anything left after this project!). Thanks for the info.

Board assembled and tested. So far so good. All functions working. Full 32KB. BIOS can be switched off and replaced with RAM. 24KB of RAM mapped to 2000h-7FFFh, must be enabled before using. That should give 100% compatibility with legacy games. The only missing bit now is to test sound balance, internal and SGM PSGs must output same level.

post-1432-0-39636100-1332963024_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-24567700-1332963037_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-92321700-1332963047_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode
  • Like 4

So let's review where the SGM project stands now. We have a prototype case. We have a working prototype PCB. I am currently working on a second revision of the PCB. No major bugs, but there are a few embellishments I would like to add. I got the glue logic right on the first try, what is surely a good thing.

I had planned to start beta in April, in fact I had planned to order several rev 2 boards for that. But on a second thought I have decided to postpone beta until May. The reason is that I need to go to Brazil in April, and handling beta from there would be near impossible, so I will take the extra time to make sure rev 2 is perfect, to get all the test stuff ready, etc. This way I believe beta would go a lot smoother.

Because of the beta delay, I am also rescheduling the SGM release date to September. That is the bad news, I would have liked to release in August, as it is the CV anniversary. But again, I won't be idle during the extra month, I have a lot of games to finish while I am in Brazil.