IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Thanks for the update.

What is your estimate of what the Mega Cart will cost? Or will it come with the Memory Module?

Actually the MegaCart2 is the board inside each game cartridge, so you don't pay anything extra for that, you just buy the game.

So just to make it clear, you buy the Memory Module once, and then you buy whatever game you want, as all module games will come powered by the MegaCart2 (and that means any module games will be able to save its own data, like high-scores and stuff).

And wait until you guys see what Dale is doing with our new game packaging. It is out of this world... :)

Actually the MegaCart2 is the board inside each game cartridge, so you don't pay anything extra for that, you just buy the game.

So just to make it clear, you buy the Memory Module once, and then you buy whatever game you want, as all module games will come powered by the MegaCart2 (and that means any module games will be able to save its own data, like high-scores and stuff).

And wait until you guys see what Dale is doing with our new game packaging. It is out of this world... :)

Hi Eduardo :)

I have a few Questions:

All others who want to produce games for the Memory Module and its features are forced to use the Mega Cart 2 ?

Will the Oki MSM9842 be used in your Memory Module. ?

I understand that the V9958 are replaced with V9956. ?

Are the YM2151 to find on your MM. ?

And will the new BIOS still have the opportunity to be updated. ?

As I understand it, is Memory Module games backward compatible for CV1 games, and CV2 backward compatible with Memory Module games and CV1 games. ?

(I know they not can be played in CV1).

Would it be possible to store a high score from a CV1 game played via Memory Module on the new OpSave Cart, or is it only an option for the new XPanded games. ?

Hi Eduardo :)

I have a few Questions:

All others who want to produce games for the Memory Module and its features are forced to use the Mega Cart 2 ?

No, they are completely independent.

Will the Oki MSM9842 be used in your Memory Module. ?

No, no Oki chips.

I understand that the V9958 are replaced with V9956. ?

No video chips either. That is reserved for the CV2

Are the YM2151 to find on your MM. ?

No, that is reserved for the CV2.

And will the new BIOS still have the opportunity to be updated. ?

No new BIOS, that is reserved for the CV2.

As I understand it, is Memory Module games backward compatible for CV1 games, and CV2 backward compatible with Memory Module games and CV1 games. ?

(I know they not can be played in CV1).

The Memory Module isn't backward compatible because it is an expansion that requires the CV. The CV2 will be backward compatible with both the CV1 and CV1+MM.

Would it be possible to store a high score from a CV1 game played via Memory Module on the new OpSave Cart, or is it only an option for the new XPanded games. ?

The Memory Module doesn't offer a way to save game data, the MegaCart2 does.

I suspect you saw all of this V9956/OpSave Cart thing in our new updated website, however that was posted by mistake. That is 4 years old info that was part of the old website.

I suspect you saw all of this V9956/OpSave Cart thing in our new updated website, however that was posted by mistake. That is 4 years old info that was part of the old website.

Speaking of the web site, I noticed that there's no mention of Pengo in the "Future Games" section. Did you drop that project, or if not, will Pengo require the SEM?

EDIT: Oh, BTW, Arkanoid is spelled "Arknoid" on the "Future Games" section... :)

Edited by Pixelboy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I am happy to present the alpha version of the ColecoVision Memory Module. The board is fairly small 3.5"x4.5" (or 9.5cm x 11.5cm).

Those are the final specs:

- 24KB of RAM memory

- Sound generator AY-3-8910

- Bi-directional parallel port

- Power-on LED

Most components are SMT, including the CPLD chip responsible for all glue logic. We have started preliminary talk about the case with the designer. I believe we should have the case design done by April. The board is going to manufacturing this week. If everything goes as planned, I should start beta by late March, once I have done preliminary testing. Again, I am aiming at around $50 for the Memory Module.

Beta should complete by June or July, and I hope to involve a dozen people.

The second part of the project is the MegaCart2, which replaces the MegaRAM and SaveRAM in previous incarnations of the SEM. The MegaCart2 is our new cartridge board, to be used with all Memory Module games. I hope to have the MegaCart2 finished in a couple of weeks. With luck everything will be demoed at the upcoming Midwest Gaming Classic next month.

And wait until you guys see what Dale is working on. As we say in Brazil, "we are going to kill the snake and show the stick", or if you prefer, "we are going to kick some serious ass".

BTW, for some reason the 3D render isn't showing the tracks, but the board is actually finished. Andre' is giving it a last check before we send to manufacturing.

Eduardo

post-1432-126707041561_thumb.png

Edited by opcode

Ok guys, I am happy to present the alpha version of the ColecoVision Memory Module. The board is fairly small 3.5"x4.5" (or 9.5cm x 11.5cm).

Those are the final specs:

- 24KB of RAM memory

- Sound generator AY-3-8910

- Bi-directional parallel port

- Power-on LED

Here's a question that just crossed my mind: You once mentioned that reproducing the sound output of the arcade version of Donkey Kong is rather tricky. Does the AY-3-8910 make it any easier?

Also, is there any special purpose to the LED? I mean, if the console (or the software on the inserted cartridge) doesn't detect the expansion module for some reason, I will see a message to that effect on the TV screen, so in that respect, isn't the LED a little redundant?

Just wondering. :)

Also, is there any special purpose to the LED? I mean, if the console (or the software on the inserted cartridge) doesn't detect the expansion module for some reason, I will see a message to that effect on the TV screen, so in that respect, isn't the LED a little redundant?

I think the LED is emblematic of showing the stick after having killed the snake... :)

Here's a question that just crossed my mind: You once mentioned that reproducing the sound output of the arcade version of Donkey Kong is rather tricky. Does the AY-3-8910 make it any easier?

Somewhat. DK plays sound by using a dedicated CPU to send data to a DAC in realtime. The AY helps by offering a wider frequency range and by increasing the total number of channels available.

The LED indicates that the module, and by consequence the console, is turned on. That is something missing in the original CV that always bothered me.

And of course the games will also tell you that you forgot to plug the module...

And about Pengo, it is coming, but of course not this year. Next year is a real possibility because the game is actually fairly simple.

Eduardo

Ok, I have a second revision for the first alpha. Andre' sugested a few changes to reduce EMI and improve general reliability. So the board now looks ok to go to manufacturing. I should place an order soon and keep you guys informed when I have the first alpha assembled. From there we can correct any possible problem and go to beta.

I am also including a very early mock-up of the new MegaCart2. No routing has been done though.

And finally we have the logo for one of the first games for the module, courtesy of Dale and Doc4 Design.

Eduardo

post-1432-126720211275_thumb.png

post-1432-126720212323_thumb.png

post-1432-126720224909_thumb.png

Ok, I have a second revision for the first alpha. Andre' sugested a few changes to reduce EMI and improve general reliability. So the board now looks ok to go to manufacturing. I should place an order soon and keep you guys informed when I have the first alpha assembled. From there we can correct any possible problem and go to beta.

I am also including a very early mock-up of the new MegaCart2. No routing has been done though.

And finally we have the logo for one of the first games for the module, courtesy of Dale and Doc4 Design.

Eduardo

So, is the first pic of the SEM? If so, the top connector goes into the CV Expansion Module slot right? Then what is the connector on the bottom?

Edited by rmaerz

So, is the first pic of the SEM? If so, the top connector goes into the CV Expansion Module slot right? Then what is the connector on the bottom?

It's a multi-purpose parallel port. One of the plans for this port is an adaptor which allows the use of Atari 2600 paddles with Arkanoid. It could be used to connect other peripherals as well. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

It's a multi-purpose parallel port. One of the plans for this port is an adaptor which allows the use of Atari 2600 paddles with Arkanoid. It could be used to connect other peripherals as well. :)

In fact the parallel port has many possible uses, especially considering it is bi-directional. And I even took special care to add VCC and GND to the port, so we can have chips and stuff connected to the port without the need to external power supply. For example we can have an arcade stick with such features as programable auto-fire and LEDs.

One of the things I plan to eventually do is to create games that can be played using a kind of ColecoVision network, several CV connected locally thru the parallel port.

Remote connection (using a PC as a proxy) should also be possible.

In terms of final product size, the module case should be about 2/3 the width of the Atari module, and about half as long, so 1/3 of the Atari module volume.

Thank You for sharing your progress. I am really looking forward to having this and some games to go a long with it.

How much will this cost, do you think? Will it come with a pack-in game?

I cannot give an exact price yet, because actually we just started the plastic case project, but I believe we will have the answer for that in about a month. However I can tell you that we are aiming for $50, which I believe should be a very good deal considering similar projects.

About pack-in, my deal with River West Brands (for the use of the Coleco name) doesn't allow me to include unauthorized software with the module (and I believe you know what I mean by that), so no pack-ins. However the non inclusion of a pack-in will be reflected at the lower price.

Finally me and Dale are working hard to offer 3 games for the module this year, Goonies, Donkey Kong Arcade and Knightmare. All of them will come in a new deluxe packaging that I hope will raise the bar for homebrew presentation. And of course the games themselves will use the new MegaCart2 and because fo that will be able to at least store their own high-score table. DK will also store current [arcade] settings, Goonies will offer the option to start from already completed stages and Knightmare will keep track of already visited stages to offer warp doors.

Thank you for your continued work with the Colecovision.

It is a great time to be a Colecovision fan, and enjoy these wonderful games from opcode.

:D

And there is a little surprise coming very soon. Subscribe to our mailing list and stay tuned. :)

http://www.opcodegames.com/lists/?p=subscribe

And there is a little surprise coming very soon. Subscribe to our mailing list and stay tuned. :)

I get this when I click on the link:

Not set or found: Array

Really? I just did it myself, to subscribe using my Team Pixelboy e-mail account, and I had no problem, aside from the fact that I can't access my web account from work, and therefore I won't be able to reply to the confirmation e-mail before I get home tonight. :P

EDIT: I'm using Firefox, by the way.

Edited by Pixelboy

I get this when I click on the link:

Not set or found: Array

Anyway, you can go to the main page and click on Join List.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about you, I am just checking some stuff and let you know as soon as I have an answer. :)