IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

iTunes was acting up: 1. Tried to download every episode of Ten Pence Arcade. 2. Re-downloaded everything in the past month. Ugh

Retronauts is talking about pinball tables. Let's see what they can get right, since there's no Dragon Quest or Gunpei Yoko(sp?)-made table.

Retronauts is talking about pinball tables. Let's see what they can get right, since there's no Dragon Quest or Gunpei Yoko(sp?)-made table.

They will probably correctly surmise that a metal ball is involved. Anything more will require you pay them to read / spout a Wikipedia article or two.

• Like 1

They will probably correctly surmise that a metal ball is involved. Anything more will require you pay them to read / spout a Wikipedia article or two.

Heh...sounds like most of our episodes on Pie Factory Podcast. :)

Edited by Dauber

RetroBlast goes bi-monthly. :(

But his non video game-related adventures are awesome. Tales of counterfeit money & dealing with shady folks. It's like Breaking Bad subplots. Love it!

I'm hoping next episode will involve a shipment of Stinger missiles smuggled from South America. Don't ask, just get in the car.

You all might want to check out another video game podcast that started recently called They Create Worlds:

http://tcwpodcast.podbean.com/

It's a bit different from most in that it is a bit more scholarly and takes a wider view of the video game industries (home, computer, console) as while, but it's currently my favorite video game podcast by far.

• Like 2

Looks like the Coin Rejects got my friendly feedback on iTunes about their swearing. Their response was even more swearing at the beginning of episode 6. They didn't address me directly, but their brief argument was that they have the Explicit tag for a reason. Sure, true, but with that much swearing, it just sounds like you're cussing for cussin's sake.

Good to see Coin Rejects are still in the "game" (hyuk!) I thought they got off to a good start. Havent been keeping up though; let's hope this latest swearfest ep. isn't a (coin re)turn for the worse.

Again, I get that they CAN swear, & despite what you may have read in this thread, I can tolerate a certain amount. I even have a swear jar with $1.63 in it. *** (I put in .25 per word I say.) I just dont want a barrage of cussing piped directly into my ear for an hour.

Re: Retroholics Anonymous- I like the name, implies more than video games could be discussed. I hope it's not all intermingled with beer/drink talk.

*** I once said "motherf".

I'm warming up to Dinosaur Pie now. Looking forward to checking out the new RGR, I can't remember which top 10 they're doing this month but I remember thinking it would be good.

I've also been listening to They Create Worlds at astrp3's suggestion. It's a bit dry at times, but there's lots of good info there. Perhaps being more scholarly lends itself to being dry, or it could be just starting a podcast. I know it took me awhile to loosen up after I started. The cycles episode was very interesting, it talked about the crash in general terms and some mini-crashes (my word) that came before it.

ANOTHER podcast has surfaced? If so, it is the 31st podcast to debut this year:

Retroholics Anonymous

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/retroholics-anonymous-podcast/id1032914628?mt=2

Started in November, only 1 episode.

Meh, I didnt care for this. Reminded me of a Sunday late-morning news show. The topic was "vulgarity in games" which for their purposes meant nudity, crass/crudeness, profanity, etc. They went around to each of the 5 (6? 7?) co-hosts asking what their first experience playing one was & no one even mentioned the X-rated Atari 2600 games. That's when I knew this crowd wasnt for me.

RJ, on 08 Dec 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

Meh, I didnt care for this. Reminded me of a Sunday late-morning news show. The topic was "vulgarity in games" which for their purposes meant nudity, crass/crudeness, profanity, etc. They went around to each of the 5 (6? 7?) co-hosts asking what their first experience playing one was & no one even mentioned the X-rated Atari 2600 games. That's when I knew this crowd wasnt for me.

I think you're being a bit too harsh. HOW many people had their first X-Rated game as being those awful 2600 ones? Mine sure as hell wasn't. ;) (Depending on what you count, mine was either a strip poker game for the C64 or a bad adventure game for the PC, both in the early 90's). I think you could probably count on one hand the number of people who would say that. Even more so considering you'd have to be in your mid to late 40's to do so.

One guy DID mention the strip poker game! :lol:

I failed to say (tired from long nights at work lately) that most of them said later-generation games, such as Fable 3, or other more recent games like Dragon Age & Dead Space. Two said Mortal Kombat, & one said Tomb Raider. These all came out after I became an adult, so I knew they're a bunch of Nintendo Kids, skewing about a decade younger than me, & that turned me off. They brought up the whole tired MSRB ratings discussion which, in their defense, goes hand-in-hand with such a topic.

I listened til about halfway through, it didnt get any more interesting, so I quit.

Edited by RJ

& Greg I understand you're a gaming fan of systems & eras across the board & can easily tolerate listening to podcasters of different ages & gaming backgrounds, but my interest drops way off on anything post-PS2, so even though the show had a general topic, I didnt feel I could relate to them.

In fact, looking thru my podcast list, I dont really favor any where the hosts are markedly younger than me, & I daresay that's one of my personal criteria.

Edited by RJ

RJ, on 08 Dec 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

One guy DID mention the strip poker game! :lol:

I failed to say (tired from long nights at work lately) that most of them said later-generation games, such as Fable 3, or other more recent games like Dragon Age & Dead Space. Two said Mortal Kombat, & one said Tomb Raider. These all came out after I became an adult, so I knew they're a bunch of Nintendo Kids, skewing about a decade younger than me, & that turned me off. They brought up the whole tired MSRB ratings discussion which, in their defense, goes hand-in-hand with such a topic.

I listened til about halfway through, it didnt get any more interesting, so I quit.

Hey, that Samatha Fox poker game was da bomb! ;)

Sure, I understand where you're coming from. I just think that by throwing out people in their 20's doing retro gaming podcasts you're missing out on some great podcasts. Young people CAN get into retro gaming, you know. ;) There's three guys in their 20's doing retro podcasts I can think off of the top of my head....Christian with the Atari Lynx game by game podcast, my co-host on the PlayStation power and host of the Sega Master System podcast George, and Kole, one of the co-hosts of Watch Out For Fireballs. All of them great guys and great shows.

I admit I haven't listened to that podcast you were talking about yet, but I'll check it out for sure.