IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

There's numerous reasons why computers were more popular in Europe then consoles, which would make for a LONG article or podcast. Maybe I should do a special podcast on that at some point. :) It's still true today in a more limited sense.

Yep. And there's a REALLY long thread here that gets into it:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263501-The-fail-of-NES-hardware-gaming-video-from-UK-outlook

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Snell (formerly of Macworld, PCworld), on the virtues of shorter podcasts, and always leaving people wanting more: https://sixcolors.com/post/2017/05/the-subscription-paradox/

Preemptory comment: I realize those of you who make long-ass podcasts aren't going to change, which is your choice. I also know about pause buttons. The other side of that: I also have other interests and finite listening time.

P. S. New Intellivisionaries podcast is fun, even if it's stupid long, because it's been a long time since the last one.

• Like 1

I'm never one to complain about an Intellivisionaries podcast being too long and never understood those who did. If there is something in the podcast that doesn't interest me (and that's rare), then there is the fast forward button. I like the fact that the podcast addict app has a window with the episode notes so you can follow along while you listen which makes fast forwarding easier because you have the time intervals in front of you.

P. S. New Intellivisionaries podcast is fun, even if it's stupid long, because it's been a long time since the last one.

Intellivisionaries episode content length never bothered me. It's quality content worth listening to. It's one of the very few exceptions to the rule. There's other podcasts I've heard where it can go up to 4 hours an episode, but easily could be covered in 2 hours. Just my 2 cents. I always fast forward through the RGR Top 10.

• Like 1

Preemptory comment: I realize those of you who make long-ass podcasts aren't going to change, which is your choice. I also know about pause buttons. The other side of that: I also have other interests and finite listening time.

That's one of the reasons I only do one game per episode on the 7800 Homebrews Podcast. Keep it short but not unreasonably short. (Pac-Man Collection! will be the exception.)

On the other side, we did hear from a Pie Factory listener who asked us, "Is there any way you can make your podcast eight hours long?? I need something to get me through my painful work day!" Heh.

I listen to shows of varying lengths, but IMO, the sweet spot is somewhere between 45min and 2 hours. If it's much shorter than that window, I'm kind of inclined to skip it in favor of something else because it won't be long enough to cover accompanying activities (e.g., driving to work, yard work). If it's much longer, then it just starts to overwhelm.

• Like 1

Intellivisionaries episode content length never bothered me. It's quality content worth listening to. It's one of the very few exceptions to the rule. There's other podcasts I've heard where it can go up to 4 hours an episode, but easily could be covered in 2 hours. Just my 2 cents. I always fast forward through the RGR Top 10.

Thanks so much S!

It's funny how different everyone is. I still listen to most of RGR, but I skip the Dinosaur Pie and Ali Express segments. I actually like the top 10s. Not every segment of every show is for everyone, I guess.

I'll just appreciate that comment for what it is! ;)

I'm never one to complain about an Intellivisionaries podcast being too long and never understood those who did. If there is something in the podcast that doesn't interest me (and that's rare), then there is the fast forward button. I like the fact that the podcast addict app has a window with the episode notes so you can follow along while you listen which makes fast forwarding easier because you have the time intervals in front of you.

Thanks so much! I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the Overcast app (iphone) automatically takes time signatures in the .mp3 description and uses them for time markers. You can jump to any section in the podcast that is called out with a timestamp. I use it in RGR and if/when I listen to our show... :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Time to unsubscribe to Retro East Podcast. No retro content, and easily dropping an f-bomb no less than 3-4 times in one sentence.

Ah. Okay. I saw a new message notification for this thread and thought you found another pinball podcast.

Ah. Okay. I saw a new message notification for this thread and thought you found another pinball podcast.

There may have been one that slipped through the cracks. Maybe it was "The Spinner is Lit" one? I kept getting it confused for Throwback Network's "Lock is Lit"

But yeah, for a podcast named "Retro East", it was all Nintendo switch talk, with one of the host easily could be named "The all-swear gamer"

..for a podcast named "Retro East", it was all Nintendo switch talk, with one of the host easily could be named "The all-swear gamer"

Thanks for the warning, S! Podcast averted!

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*blows dust off of thread*

A New podcast has arrived!

Arcade Perfect

Should be on iTunes soon. It's about finding the perfect home port of arcade games. Hosted by the Aussie Retro Domination guys.

Also, I'm the TI expert. Mostly. Kinda, sorta. I know enough.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'll have quite a few podcasters/youtubers to take photos with at Portland Retrogaming Expo:

1. Gamester81

2. Retronauts

3. Coin Rejects(I gotta take a photo with these guys, I'll just won't mention I was the reviewer citing the cussing)

4. Angry Video Game Nerd