IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Discovered retrobits on Zune Mktplace- looks like about retro computers. D/L'ed a couple Atari eps. will listen soon. I think it's by Digital Press' Phosphor Dot Fossils, his name's Earl I know & does a 2 pt interview W/ Rob O'Hara (Flack on DP who wrote a couple good books.)

Earl (the host) is a milder, more professional Shane Monroe. He has a calmer, even relaxing speaking voice ideal for podcasting. That said, his interesting topics are personally few & far between for me, sometimes bordering/leaning on the techy aspects. To each his own, I guess- I enjoyed the handful of eps. Nice & short, too- rarely over a half hour.

I also like Retrobits, and I totally missed the whole vintage computing/gaming era. His podcast is very informative and he obviously loves his hobby.

I like the Retro League a lot, and I guess I am in the minority for liking the Retronauts. I am not as knowledgable about the NES era onwards as I am about the 2600 era, so I appreciate it for that reason.

I could have sworn that Retrocity/Retroist were the same guy, but after listening back to back, I'm not so sure. I think Retrocity was done by Levi Buchanan, but there's no info on who hosts the Retroist, which is one of my current favorites.

I wish Twitch Asylum would come back, I liked those guys a lot.

Has anyone ever given up on a podcast where they enjoy the content but the sound is horrible?

I wish Twitch Asylum would come back, I liked those guys a lot.

+1

I just finished listening to the last Twitch Asylum podcast today. I really liked it, although it was a little bit too scripted. Overall the production was excellent, though, and I always found the content interesting. That being said, the way they just dropped off the map without even saying anything to their listeners left a bad taste in my mouth. If you check out their forums now, it's just a ghost town as everyone just sort of wandered away. They should have taken a few minutes to compose a message for the front page of their site stating that the podcast was being retired. It's very odd how they spent so much time trying to create a community around the show with the forums and everything and then just quit without saying anything. Maybe they didn't think that they had enough listeners. The show is about 4 years old now, and I think that it is safe to day that the popularity of podcasts has increased greatly. They should have just kept at it.

Chris

I'm officially DONE w/ IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat. The latest ep. was beyond bad, everyone was hootin' & hollerin' & carryin' on like a bunch of rowdy schoolkids. One guy had some voice modulating TransFormers thingie & thought it was the funniest thing in history. Even the host couldnt calm them down/keep control & kept saying it'd be their worst ever. Well, they lost at least one subscriber.

I'm not angry with Twitch Asylum abruptly stopping. They don't owe us eternal episodes, and I'm grateful for the ones they did make. People get burned out on hobbies.

Retronauts should just change their name to "FinalFantsayNauts". Wow, could they name drop Japanese game developers nobody else has heard of or remembered?

Game Blips - By far the closest thing to a real netcast/radio show in the classic game genre that I've listened to so far. Retronauts and The Retro League just sound like a bunch of guys who got together on Skype and hit the record button. Tons of dead air and hosts that just trail off when they're saying something. They have some interesting topics but usually they lose me and I actually start to get bored with the show and fall asleep. That's not a good sign.

One criticism I have is that one of the hosts (I think it's jboy) gets too far away from his mic or is turned down too low. I gotta crank up the volume to hear him and the other guy starts talking and blows my eardrums out.

All in all it's a good show and I'll be listening to get caught up soon.

I used to listen to We Talk Games. They changed the format a bit which at first was nice but got old after a few episodes. It's not a bad show but I think they cover too much new stuff for my tastes.

The guys at retronauts are in depth and passionate. I like that. Too many podcasts are just "here are my impressions after playing this classic for an hour or two". That's not enough to say anything worthwhile. I want to hear from people who have spent serious time with a game. Even playing them through, over and over. Even if it's not a game I've played, that kind of in depth perspective keeps it interesting. The informal chat format is nice too. It keeps it from being a dry piece, or badly written comedy. If there's a lull here and there, I don't mind.

72 pin Connector still has terrible audio quality, which somehow inspires people to SCREAM REALLY FREAKIN' LOUD at unexpected times.

You turn up the volume since it's hard to hear, and someone is guaranteed to blow your eardrums out. You turn it back down and repeat.

Twitch Aslylum was good....Too bad....They did seem to hint on their forum that things were winding down. Definitely had possibilities!

We Talk games is weak now. They trimmed the crew to just a one man show. They had a guy from the magazine "Die Hard Video Gamefan" which was cool

Retronauts is the best one to me. One thing though they got rid of Shane which was a mistake. The guy who replaced him is dull and offers no insight!

Edited by schuwalker

A new podcast enters the ring!

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=93011

Old Game Plus Podcast.

Pros: Very technical. VERY VERY technical. Some users on here might not like how they dislike the Jaguar. I can see people's heads exploding

Cons: Why talk about what Retronauts is talking about? nooo, don't.

WIll listen to some Gameblips & Old Game Plus eps. tonight. & hey where's Shane Monroe's latest episode? I had high hopes for that! Retrobits seems dead too, even after Earl more or less committed himself to making new regular eps.

My current sources are either not recording, not updating, or I stopped listening. I devour them as soon as I download them. I need more!!! It helps to listen on my DSi at 1.5x speed to hear them faster.

Edited by RJ

Enjoying Old Games+, glad to hear they got called out on their Jaguar hatred within one episode.

VideoMasters is a waste of time unless you like game music, few reviews, & very, VERY forced humor. I'll give the latest eps. 23 & 24 (nearly 4 YEARS APART!) a listen tonight but not expecting anything worthy.

FWIW, here's what Im listening to regularly now:

Drunken Gamers Radio

Retronauts

Mobcast

Radio Free Nintendo

Old Games+

gameblips

Retro League

Edited by RJ

Discovered Final Score on Zune mktplace. Very professional, broadcast-radio sounding hosts. Comedy is natural & actually funny, & well-paced, no dragging.

Is it retro-flavored?

This last episode of Retronauts wasn't bad at all. They got away from the endless chatter about Final Fantasy and JRPGs to talk with some former employees of Tengen.

They do a retro segment, but I dont recall much retro talk besides reminiscing. The first ep. is the best, but subsequently the show's format changes.

& yeah I too thought Retronauts outdid themselves w/ the Tengen ep. Every minute worth listening to!

Final Score went through a huge change. The very first episodes is about arcades and the hosts experience growing up with a dad who was in the business of selling and maintaining arcade games in the late 70s/early 80s. That was over a year ago when that episode came out.

Now it's two guys talking about everything from modern systems to the one segment about retro stuff to upcoming releases. If a retro netcast is what you're looking for the Final Score will probably disappoint you. If you just want an overall coverage of video games then give it a listen.

Personally I'm glad they brought it back, but I prefer the old version much more. Talking about new releases over and over and over again gets boring, the original Final Score came at it from a different perspective and I enjoyed that.

On a side note most of the stuff done by Scott Johnson and his Frogpants Studios network is worth a listen too. I currently listen to FourCast, Current Geek, Film Sack and Final Score. There's others from The Instance (WoW netcast) to App Slappy (a netcast about the apps available for iPhone).

• 2 weeks later...

Some quickie reviews

Warning! A Huge Podcast! - More like "Warning! A Boring Podcast!" If you like 3-hour+ podcasts about Japanese videogames(ie you like Retronauts), you might like this podcast. Otherwise it's 3+ hours of boring conversation.

You don't know flack - About general geekery, not just video games. Not a bad podcast.

Retrobits is doing episodes again.

MIA:

Some quickie reviews

Warning! A Huge Podcast! - More like "Warning! A Boring Podcast!" If you like 3-hour+ podcasts about Japanese videogames(ie you like Retronauts), you might like this podcast. Otherwise it's 3+ hours of boring conversation.

You don't know flack - About general geekery, not just video games. Not a bad podcast.

Retrobits is doing episodes again.

MIA:

Tiger Claw Radio

Retro Gamer Magazine

Monroeworld Game Cast

LifeStyle Gamer(I can't download a single episode)

If you are angry you are listed as MIA, the only cure is to release a new episode.