IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

It might be time to go on an iTunes podcast review rampage. It will not be pretty, but it must be done. Some may get 1-star reviews, some may get 2-star reviews. And many will get 4 or 5. You wanted a review...

I suggest we all do it. Sadly, it can only be done via iTunes.

So, here it is! My first podcast. :)

As I mentioned before in the past, I had been wanting to talk about my experiences with a mother who operated a video store during the late 80's and early 90's and what it was like getting my hands on tons of new movies and NES games free of charge and anytime I wanted them. I had been wanting to write it for a while, but the sheer size of it always put me off.

Recent events have inspired me to purchase a microphone and a pop filter and I thought this was a perfect way to kill two bids with one stone -- I could talk about the experiences instead and also try to practice a bit with this new scary world of podcasting. So finally I sat down, summoned up my courage, and started recording.

Please find attached the finished result. In the podcast I talk about my experiences and what it was like being able to grow up in this fortunate situation in regards to movies and NES games and also at the end talk about a SNES podcast that I've been considering and still on the fence about it.

A warning -- it's rough. I KNOW it's rough. :) I tried editing it some but didn't really know what else I could do with it unless I went super anal and took out all the slight pauses or the few 'um's' I made (and overall I think I did okay in minimizing that). There's some background fan noise from my PC that I couldn't totally take out, and I recorded a bit on the louder side then I intended but I wanted to err on the side of caution (there's some podcasts I can't listen to cause the volume is too soft.)

I really want to thank everyone who has encouraged me to go ahead with this and please give me your feedback and comments, both good and bad. I did the recording and the editing on Audacity. I also want to give a super thank you to the podcasters out there who have both inspired me and also directly encouraged me to go ahead with doing this -- Ferg from the Atari 2600 game by game, Willie from the Colecovision (and other) podcasts, Rick and Paul from the Intelivisionaries, and indirectly Flak (Rob) whose 'how to make a podcast' episode was very helpful in doing this.

I also hate how my voice sounds on this damn thing. :P

Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to give me feedback et all either here or by sending me a PM or sending me a e-mail to the Yahoo mail account I mention in the podcast!

episode 0.mp3

• Like 3

Congratulations Greg, and welcome to podcasting! I have it on my Mac and I will listen soon. :)

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. You've been a real inspiration and someone to look up to, and I'm giving serious thought to modeling my own podcast in the style that you do yours. :)

I also controlled myself in not saying 'back in the day' but I make no future promises. :P

• Like 1

Sounded fine to me Greg. Any problems I heard were 99% nerves or 1st time jitters, you'll improve & be more at ease over time with practice. Soon you'll be making the rounds & guest-hosting on all those great podcasts you mentioned, & eventually rocket to podcast stardom.

• Like 2

So, here it is! My first podcast. :)

As I mentioned before in the past, I had been wanting to talk about my experiences with a mother who operated a video store during the late 80's and early 90's and what it was like getting my hands on tons of new movies and NES games free of charge and anytime I wanted them. I had been wanting to write it for a while, but the sheer size of it always put me off.

Recent events have inspired me to purchase a microphone and a pop filter and I thought this was a perfect way to kill two bids with one stone -- I could talk about the experiences instead and also try to practice a bit with this new scary world of podcasting. So finally I sat down, summoned up my courage, and started recording.

Please find attached the finished result. In the podcast I talk about my experiences and what it was like being able to grow up in this fortunate situation in regards to movies and NES games and also at the end talk about a SNES podcast that I've been considering and still on the fence about it.

A warning -- it's rough. I KNOW it's rough. :) I tried editing it some but didn't really know what else I could do with it unless I went super anal and took out all the slight pauses or the few 'um's' I made (and overall I think I did okay in minimizing that). There's some background fan noise from my PC that I couldn't totally take out, and I recorded a bit on the louder side then I intended but I wanted to err on the side of caution (there's some podcasts I can't listen to cause the volume is too soft.)

I really want to thank everyone who has encouraged me to go ahead with this and please give me your feedback and comments, both good and bad. I did the recording and the editing on Audacity. I also want to give a super thank you to the podcasters out there who have both inspired me and also directly encouraged me to go ahead with doing this -- Ferg from the Atari 2600 game by game, Willie from the Colecovision (and other) podcasts, Rick and Paul from the Intelivisionaries, and indirectly Flak (Rob) whose 'how to make a podcast' episode was very helpful in doing this.

I also hate how my voice sounds on this damn thing. :P

Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to give me feedback et all either here or by sending me a PM or sending me a e-mail to the Yahoo mail account I mention in the podcast!

I think the following vid sums it up for me :)

Cant wait for you to get started on this! I loved my SNES when I had one, I mainly played Mr Do and Knights of the Round on it. I will be subscribing once you get this bad boy going! Will also mention this project on my next Wilie!'s Ramblings and Pickups vid later today on my youtube show. If you want a cool theme for your podcast, contact my bud Aaron Hickman (diagamblic) from Retro Obscura Podcast, he makes some really cool tunes and has done the theme for The ColecoVisions Podcast.

For a first run, first time podcast, I found it very enjoyable!

Willie!

• Like 1

Sounded fine to me Greg. Any problems I heard were 99% nerves or 1st time jitters, you'll improve & be more at ease over time with practice. Soon you'll be making the rounds & guest-hosting on all those great podcasts you mentioned, & eventually rocket to podcast stardom.

Agreed. Nice work, Greg.

And RJ, from your mouth to our ears... Greg is a listener guest on the soon to be released episode 15 of The Intellivisionaries. He talks about his experiences with the Flashback.

And Greg.. I'd also be happy to do a podcast theme song for you if you need it.

• Like 2

Agreed. Nice work, Greg.

And RJ, from your mouth to our ears... Greg is a listener guest on the soon to be released episode 15 of The Intellivisionaries. He talks about his experiences with the Flashback.

And Greg.. I'd also be happy to do a podcast theme song for you if you need it.

oh ya, I forgot about Nurmix! he did the Arcade USA theme :) awesome stuff!

Thanks for the kind comments. I didn't use a outline or notes with this since I was just speaking 'off the cuff' about my experiences. :)

Thanks to everyone who checked out my podcast on my NES memories and the video store that my Mom managed. Your kind words and comments really mean a lot to me. Super special thanks to Willie for mentioning my upcoming SNES podcast in his YouTube show.

I'm still trying to hash out the final details of how I want to organize and go about doing the podcast, but I plan to record the first episode this weekend (prob on Sat night). It will be in the same vain as the 'intro' podcast that most podcasters do, where I'll talk about how the podcast is going to be organized and my plans for it, my own SNES memories and why I decided to do the podcast, and the first game that will be covered. Of course, it has to be SoulBlazer. :P

I'm probably going to use Podomatic for now, and will look into Libsyn for hosting it later on.

I also would really love to find someone to co-host the show with me....it would be most helpful and I think would make the show a lot better.

If anyone has any interest in doing so, or has games they want to suggest that I cover, please let me know, either here or by PM. I am not opposed to doing the big games on the SNES, but I would love to cover the hidden gems, the little noticed games, the ones that you should check out and why. It's my intent to increase your knowledge and understanding of the SNES and the games, just like Ferg does with the 2600 and the Intelivisionaries do with the Intelivision. I'm also going to be modeling the podcast after theirs -- you know what they say about flattery. :-D

Thanks again!

I record and edit with Audacity as well. I host at Wordpress where the website/blog is - i wanted it all in one place.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Thanks, I had been meaning to send you feedback. I've been enjoying your podcast, checked out all the episodes last week. I never had a Atari computer, as I was a C64 user, but it's interesting hearing about the programs that were available for it and how far we've come since then. :)

Thanks, I had been meaning to send you feedback. I've been enjoying your podcast, checked out all the episodes last week. I never had a Atari computer, as I was a C64 user, but it's interesting hearing about the programs that were available for it and how far we've come since then. :)

Thanks! Hopefully I'm getting better too. Im recording using a Plantronic noise cancelling usb headset with a boom. One i hit 10 episodes to convince myself Im fully committed I plan on getting a true mic. I do have to edit a few pops out each episode, and several breaths. :)

Thanks! Hopefully I'm getting better too. Im recording using a Plantronic noise cancelling usb headset with a boom. One i hit 10 episodes to convince myself Im fully committed I plan on getting a true mic. I do have to edit a few pops out each episode, and several breaths. :)

You can't talk if you don't breathe Wade! :)

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone who checked out my podcast on my NES memories and the video store that my Mom managed. Your kind words and comments really mean a lot to me. Super special thanks to Willie for mentioning my upcoming SNES podcast in his YouTube show.

I'm still trying to hash out the final details of how I want to organize and go about doing the podcast, but I plan to record the first episode this weekend (prob on Sat night). It will be in the same vain as the 'intro' podcast that most podcasters do, where I'll talk about how the podcast is going to be organized and my plans for it, my own SNES memories and why I decided to do the podcast, and the first game that will be covered. Of course, it has to be SoulBlazer. :P

I'm probably going to use Podomatic for now, and will look into Libsyn for hosting it later on.

I also would really love to find someone to co-host the show with me....it would be most helpful and I think would make the show a lot better.

If anyone has any interest in doing so, or has games they want to suggest that I cover, please let me know, either here or by PM. I am not opposed to doing the big games on the SNES, but I would love to cover the hidden gems, the little noticed games, the ones that you should check out and why. It's my intent to increase your knowledge and understanding of the SNES and the games, just like Ferg does with the 2600 and the Intelivisionaries do with the Intelivision. I'm also going to be modeling the podcast after theirs -- you know what they say about flattery. :-D

Thanks again!

sent you a PM, I think I found a great candidate for a cohost for you :)