IGNORED

Does Turbo require the steering wheel?

S1500

I just bought Turbo for 3 bucks. He was nice to knock down the price from $3.95. Haven't fired it up yet, but does it require the steering controller? If so, darn.

Yep, it does. Good luck finding a functional Expansion Module #2! ;)

Why is it something particulary fragile?

I own 3 turbo module and there are all working like a charm. The last one i bought last week is even CIB!!! :lust: :lust:

I just bought Turbo for 3 bucks. He was nice to knock down the price from $3.95. Haven't fired it up yet, but does it require the steering controller? If so, darn.

Yep, it does. Good luck finding a functional Expansion Module #2! ;)

Why is it something particulary fragile?

I own 3 turbo module and there are all working like a charm. The last one i bought last week is even CIB!!! :lust: :lust:

I dont think they are particularly fragile. They're just a substitute for the regular stick, nothing special. The one I got off Ebay was complete shit, dirty, funky...filled with sand (yes, sand I think it was in someones garage or shed and underwater at some point!) I took it completely apart, cleaned it and it works fine. It is a shame you can't just use a regular controller. You can however use the super action controllers IIRC.

I dont think they are particularly fragile. They're just a substitute for the regular stick, nothing special. The one I got off Ebay was complete shit, dirty, funky...filled with sand (yes, sand I think it was in someones garage or shed and underwater at some point!) I took it completely apart, cleaned it and it works fine. It is a shame you can't just use a regular controller. You can however use the super action controllers IIRC.

I can use the Super action controllers? Hmm, I'll have to give that a try. But wasn't the gas pedal analog?

I can use the Super action controllers? Hmm, I'll have to give that a try. But wasn't the gas pedal analog?

I'm 99% sure, and of that I'm 99% sure it sucked. The little dial is actually what is used to make the car go left and right, and it's REALLY cumbersome. I honestly don't know if the gas pedal is analog. I know you use a 2nd controller to shift from high to low gear, and on the SAC you use the colored buttons. It's totally worthwhile buying the driving controller though. Turbo is one of those must have games for the system, and there's other games you can use the driving controller with. I actually find Bump N Jump great with the DC, and believe it or not despite the bad reviews it gets, Destructor is a pretty fun little game.

It's indeed possible to use the spinner on the Super Action Controller, but it doesn't work as you would expect it to: The controls are reversed (spin left to go right, spin right to go left) and you have to spin the spinner like crazy to make the car move left or right. Definately not playable.

BTW, the foot pedal is not analog. The mechanism inside the pedal is just a simple ON/OFF contact switch. To compensate for this issue, CV programmers resorted to software solutions to implement the sense of vehicle acceleration. so it doesn't matter if you slam the pedal down, the acceleration factor will be the same on the screen.

Lastly, it's true that the steering wheel is not really fragile, physically. But it does have one weak spot, which is the light sensor. If this sensor burns out, the whole module is good for the trash, unless you can find a replacement part, which is of course near-impossible today, AFAIK. When a steering wheel module stops working, it's usually because of a faulty sensor, and such sensors are not designed to last a hundred years...

I've been lucky enough to find 3 steering wheel modules over the last couple of years.I went to pickup a CV game package i won on E-bay a while back since the seller lived just a short distance away from me.He invited me in,and in the corner of the room i saw a CV wheel.I asked him if i could take that also,he said sure for $15,so i took it,gladly.This gaming store i go to has about 5,but they want crazy prices for their stuff.There's a 7800,and they want $69.00 for it :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...

The one I got off Ebay was complete shit, dirty, funky...filled with sand (yes, sand I think it was in someones garage or shed and underwater at some point!) I took it completely apart, cleaned it and it works fine. It is a shame you can't just use a regular controller. You can however use the super action controllers IIRC.

If you add dog hair to that, it would be the one I got off Amazon. Yes, full of dried mud and dog hair. >_<

Unfortunately, cleaning it out didn't get it working again. -_-

And yes, the roller controller makes an acceptable substitute. When i saw it had the same type of sensor, I tried it out, and it works almost as well as my cousin's old steering controller.

• 2 weeks later...

The one I got off Ebay was complete shit, dirty, funky...filled with sand (yes, sand I think it was in someones garage or shed and underwater at some point!) I took it completely apart, cleaned it and it works fine. It is a shame you can't just use a regular controller. You can however use the super action controllers IIRC.

If you add dog hair to that, it would be the one I got off Amazon. Yes, full of dried mud and dog hair. >_<

Unfortunately, cleaning it out didn't get it working again. -_-

And yes, the roller controller makes an acceptable substitute. When i saw it had the same type of sensor, I tried it out, and it works almost as well as my cousin's old steering controller.

Anyone who sells a filthy item like that loses me as a customer.I mean it's just common courtesy to clean items before sending out.That kind of thing says a lot about what kind of seller you're dealing with! :thumbsdown: :ponder:

Anyone who sells a filthy item like that loses me as a customer.I mean it's just common courtesy to clean items before sending out.That kind of thing says a lot about what kind of seller you're dealing with! :thumbsdown: :ponder:

I'm the exact opposite -- I'd rather do any cleaning myself. I believe I'm be much more careful and thorough than someone would be. Maybe that's just me....

Edited by else

I'm the exact opposite -- I'd rather do any cleaning myself. I believe I'm be much more careful and thorough than someone would be. Maybe that's just me....

I'm the same way. Still, Rik has a point. As an eBay seller, I make sure the stuff I sell is clean before I even list it. I mean, who wants to bid on something that looks like the seller dug it up out of the back yard? I have passed on bidding on items where you can tell in the photos that the items are filthy.

I remember opening up my wheel back in the 80's and I saw it had all this dust in it...I thought perhaps it was regular dust, but it seemed around the white slotted wheel part inside, leading me to believe it was a type of powder lubricant or something. I just opened up my NOS wheel, nothing in it but plasticky goodness.

I too do all my own cleaning...and I'd do my own AV mod to it but that kind of work is best left to electronics guys who know what they're doing (and offer guarantees!).

I don't have Slither. I popped in Venture, and if I try going up, it goes up for a bit, then down, and then nothing at all(with the main controller). Controllability is still horrendous with this unit, and all too often I get weird graphics when I try to play a game. Regardless of all the cleaning & repair I have done to this, it seems to be better a conversation piece than a console to play.

• 4 years later...

Welp. Good to know my copy of Turbo is completely useless. Why the hell would they make a game that you can't play with the regular controller?

Because it was a supposed to be a driving controller exclusive game to help boost sales of the unit. Since it came packed in with the unit there was really no excuse to not have have one available (at least back in the day).

How hard would it be to hack the game to play with a regular controller?