IGNORED

The ColecoVision II Video game system

HDTV1080P

ColecoVision II Video game system  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in purchasing a brand new 21st Century Colecovision II videogame system for around $200?

• Yes if the quality was better then the original 1982 Colecoviison game console.
    • No I am happy with my old oriignal Colecovision or Adam system I am using now.
    • I perfer to use a Computer emulation program to play Colecovision and ADAM games.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think a good idea would be to explore cartridge interfaces that could work with a standard PC, whether it's USB or even through a PCI port. I saw the article on hackaday that lets you read SNES modules. Combine that with a decent emulator(emphasis on decent) and you could slap it on a mini-ITX mobo or something. Then add hardware bridging to use older controllers, and wallah: a ColecoVision clone. Could make for a fun kit with the cartridge interfaces alone. Of course add good video outputs that aren't RF.

I use WColEm as my CV emulator -- or, I *did*, before I finally got a working CV. It works just fine for me (at least, in full-screen mode -- in windowed mode, it slows down considerably). The thing is, any existing emulator would have to be rewritten to recognize the actual physical cartridge slot (though I see no reason why support for ROMs on the hard drive could not be kept in), and read from it. Plus, I would also want to have the expansion port, even if just so I could plug in my Expansion Module #1 and play "Haunted House." ^_^

2. As a bonus the "ColecoVision II" videogame system would include a HDMI output for modern TV's and a legacy composite output for old TV's. Since the original 80's Coleco game controllers are falling apart the "ColecoVision II" would use a low cost USB game controller, USB trackballs, USB steering wheel, USB keypad, and USB keyboard. The system should also accept original Coleco controllers for those that still have working ones. One of the reasons I use a PC Coleco emulator a lot is the keyboard functions a lot better then my original Coleco controllers. Also the video and audio quality is better on a PC. A "ColecoVision II" BIOS firmware updates would also be possible with a USB flash memory to make operating system improvemnets.

I have personally had and worked with over 50 CV controllers and have never know one to be "falling apart". They are actually really high quality. The only real problem with them is corrosion on the contacts.

I refurbish CV controllers to like new condition. I also have a really cool custom set Of Mario Bros. Controllers to celebrate the upcoming Mario Bros. Cartridge for the CV. Here is a link to my Mario Bros. Controllers and a link to my refurbishing offer.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/149793-mario-bros-custom-controllers-complete-boxed-photos/page__fromsearch__1

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153675-colecovision-controller-rebuild-and-joystick-ball-offer/page__fromsearch__1

• Like 1

Why not follow a business model that actually resulted in success and create a Coleco Flashback 2? Plug 'n' play, built-in games, 40 bucks at Target...

Because almost every Coleco game was a licensed property, and therefore the titles will either be expensive or impossible to find the license holder.

If someone where to make a CV2, which I think Opcode is going to do, if his module is successful. I am defiantly in for one even at $300. I told opcode I want one of his Modules for $100 or even $150. This is kind of a fun thread and it is nice to dream, however since opcode is busting his butt to basically do this as an add-on with his module with DK Arcade thrown in as a bonus, how about going to his thread here and placing an order on something that IS going to happen.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152166-the-official-super-expansion-module-thread/page__p__1875611entry1875611

• Like 1

Also a "ColecoVision II" could output native 16:9 ratio for game developers that want to take advantage of the 16:9 ratio. All new TV sets have 16:9 screens. The old 4:3 screen is not an option any more on new TV's. So if one wants to watch 4:3 old TV shows or play 4:3 videogames they need to have black or gray bars on the side to see the original ratio of the content.

For example take a 480I DVD like a old TV show or exercise video that has a ratio of 4:3 and output it on one of the DVD players that has 1080P upconvert video processors over HDMI. If the TV is setup correctly you will have black or gray bars on the left and right, but the general quality would be good. It would not be true HD quality like Blu-ray or PS3 games. Some old films like the Wizard of OZ that were scanned at 8K are then transferred to Blu-ray at 4:3 at 1080P quality.

Yes, I have an HD and I understand the sizing of the screen and the black/grey bars etc. But, what will the quality of the graphics be on that screen?

If we hook up an NES to an HD it looks like crap, to no surprise. If I watch GolTV, which is not HD, on my HD it looks like crap no matter if it's stretched or not.

So, when I'm playing Galaxian for the ColecoVision, what will the graphics look like? Is it going to be the same quality as the NES and GolTV examples I cited above?

Why not follow a business model that actually resulted in success and create a Coleco Flashback 2? Plug 'n' play, built-in games, 40 bucks at Target...

My thoughts exactly. Didn't one of the Flashbacks also have a connector for the carts, but it was hidden somehow? I thought I read that somewhere.

I think you're retailers would warm up to a $40 Flashback system versus a CV II at $150 or more. They're more likely to say that the product won't move at that price.

If someone where to make a CV2, which I think Opcode is going to do, if his module is successful. I am defiantly in for one even at $300. I told opcode I want one of his Modules for $100 or even $150. This is kind of a fun thread and it is nice to dream, however since opcode is busting his butt to basically do this as an add-on with his module with DK Arcade thrown in as a bonus, how about going to his thread here and placing an order on something that IS going to happen.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152166-the-official-super-expansion-module-thread/page__p__1875611entry1875611

What seems to be the price that gamers would pay based on what is posted at the other thread seems to be $150. It would be ill-advised to release a system that cost $300. No doubt some would buy, but overall sales would be significantly less and in that regard would be a fruitless project.

Following up on your link to the other thread: What exactly is the goal of this thread? Is it to compete with Eduardo or collaborate? If it's the former, I think it could be disastrous.

A lot of this has been discussed in the thread posted above with progress updates on a product that will be released.

Following up on your link to the other thread: What exactly is the goal of this thread? Is it to compete with Eduardo or collaborate? If it's the former, I think it could be disastrous.

I thought this was like a hypothetical thread. Sort of a "What if we could build it better, faster, stronger?" type of thing. That was the spirit in which I posted my ideas, when I replied.

I mean, it's fun to think about, but to be honest, I think only serious retro gamers would even be interested in a revamped ColecoVision. Younger gamers probably wouldn't be interested in even playing it, unless it could sport ultra-realistic graphics like their XBox 360's and PS3's. My 14 year old son, for example, has played some of my old games, he plays "Parsec" or "Astrosmash" about 5 or 10 minutes, but he'll play "Kingdom Hearts" or "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" until I tell him it's time to turn it off. (Okay, that's PS2, but I don't have a PS3, and I refuse to give Micro$haft any of my hard-earned money -- If I ever do buy an XBox or a 360, it'll be used, and very cheap. So that's the best he's used to.)

I thought this was like a hypothetical thread. Sort of a "What if we could build it better, faster, stronger?" type of thing. That was the spirit in which I posted my ideas, when I replied.

I mean, it's fun to think about, but to be honest, I think only serious retro gamers would even be interested in a revamped ColecoVision. Younger gamers probably wouldn't be interested in even playing it, unless it could sport ultra-realistic graphics like their XBox 360's and PS3's. My 14 year old son, for example, has played some of my old games, he plays "Parsec" or "Astrosmash" about 5 or 10 minutes, but he'll play "Kingdom Hearts" or "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" until I tell him it's time to turn it off. (Okay, that's PS2, but I don't have a PS3, and I refuse to give Micro$haft any of my hard-earned money -- If I ever do buy an XBox or a 360, it'll be used, and very cheap. So that's the best he's used to.)

Yes this is a hypothetical thread. I would like to see some company make a ColecoVision II product in the future. It would be neat to purchase a 30 year anniversary "ColecoVision II" console.

Edited by HDTV1080P

http://www.atariage....1entry1875611

What seems to be the price that gamers would pay based on what is posted at the other thread seems to be $150. It would be ill-advised to release a system that cost $300. No doubt some would buy, but overall sales would be significantly less and in that regard would be a fruitless project.

A lot of this has been discussed in the thread posted above with progress updates on a product that will be released.

I have no plans on making a Coleocvision II. The purpose of the thread is just to post some ideals that maybe someone can use for a future project.

It is always possible to release a product like a Colecovision II for $300 and then 6 months to a year later lower the price to $200. Then if large QTY's are made lower the price to $150 couple years after launch. Many electronic companies start selling products at full list price and then after the early adopters purchase and pay for the research and development costs of the product the company would lower the price after large quantities are made. Perhaps making a 1,000 or more Colecovision II's would allow a list price between $150-$200. Making only 100 or 200 might require a price of $300 or more for a Colecovision II. The original 80's Colecovisions run around $500 for a factory new one on EBAY now. Those are the models with RF output. Then if one wants a video upgrade modification it can run $200 or more.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Also a "ColecoVision II" could output native 16:9 ratio for game developers that want to take advantage of the 16:9 ratio. All new TV sets have 16:9 screens. The old 4:3 screen is not an option any more on new TV's. So if one wants to watch 4:3 old TV shows or play 4:3 videogames they need to have black or gray bars on the side to see the original ratio of the content.

For example take a 480I DVD like a old TV show or exercise video that has a ratio of 4:3 and output it on one of the DVD players that has 1080P upconvert video processors over HDMI. If the TV is setup correctly you will have black or gray bars on the left and right, but the general quality would be good. It would not be true HD quality like Blu-ray or PS3 games. Some old films like the Wizard of OZ that were scanned at 8K are then transferred to Blu-ray at 4:3 at 1080P quality.

Yes, I have an HD and I understand the sizing of the screen and the black/grey bars etc. But, what will the quality of the graphics be on that screen?

If we hook up an NES to an HD it looks like crap, to no surprise. If I watch GolTV, which is not HD, on my HD it looks like crap no matter if it's stretched or not.

So, when I'm playing Galaxian for the ColecoVision, what will the graphics look like? Is it going to be the same quality as the NES and GolTV examples I cited above?

If one had a ColecoVision II with HDMI output the quality would be exactly the same as using a PC emulation Colecovision program connected to a 50 inch or 60 inch screen over HDMI. On a 24 inch 1080P Computer monitor with DVI the Colocovision games look fantastic in quality. I currently have not tested what Colecovison games from a PC emulator look like on a 50 inch and larger screen using DVI or HDMI. Of course one would see some more imperfections on a larger screen. In the future if I have time I will connect my PC up to a 50 inch or larger screen and use the Colecovision emulation program. The results should be very good in theory.

Edited by HDTV1080P

If one had a ColecoVision II with HDMI output the quality would be exactly the same as using a PC emulation Colecovision program connected to a 50 inch or 60 inch screen over HDMI. On a 24 inch 1080P Computer monitor with DVI the Colocovision games look fantastic in quality. I currently have not tested what Colecovison games from a PC emulator look like on a 50 inch and larger screen using DVI or HDMI. Of course one would see some more imperfections on a larger screen. In the future if I have time I will connect my PC up to a 50 inch or larger screen and use the Colecovision emulation program. The results should be very good in theory.

Maybe it would look something like this. ;)

1004419.png

5-11under

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, we a group of 6 italian Colecovision collectore, aged 39 - 42.

We would be interested to a Colecovision able to play all ( extremely rare to find in Europe ) ADAM games like Dragon's Lair or Super Subroc etc.

Where needed we can eventually participate in financing such a project, if concrete.

Actually, because some games extremely rare or too expensive to buy, we are creating our own new cartridges recycling old casings and loading in cart form all the roms we find. Playing DigDug or Meteoric Shower in cartridge form to the real thing is 100% better than playing with emulators and you immediately feel yrself 25 years younger.

Hope Collectorvision, OpcodeGames or PixelboyTeam will port JUNO FIRST to our Colecovision.

Long life to ColecoVision.

• 1 year later...

to be cost efficient a colecovision clone would need to be like the NOAC or SNOAC (nes on a chip & snes on a chip) to reduce manufacturing costs

also fixing a couple things lacking the original

(normal power plugs composite and component video output

Edited by harlock76

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this an old thread but I voted.. HELL YES! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :-D

I really wish doubledown was still around, I'd pay just about whatever for a console modded by him.. the Super ColecoVision. :P

Mini ColecoVision is very cool as well..

At the moment,5-11under's new system is what I'm saving up for... ;)

If only the plans/parts list for all those mods were available, that would be a dream come true!

Wishful thinking.. But it never hurts to dream.

If the ColecoVision II debuts one day, Im all in! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...