IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

Hello Frederik

It's called "archiveringshulpprogramma" in Dutch.

I tried you tips, the result is:

Emulation started through standard serial port backend on '/dev/tty.usbserial-FTK4FFSE' with DSR handshaking."

Haven't really tried anything else yet, but I guess it works now.

For those who already have "SIO2OSX" or "SIO Server" it might be just as easy to look up what's used there.

Now all that's missing is:

- A capital at the beginning of AspeQt. At the moment it reads "aspeqt" at the top left of the screen. Every other piece of software starts with a capital.

- Every single time I start AspeQt, I get the message "This version of AspeQt uses a different repository for storing its global settings.

We will now migrate the existing settings to their new repository, note that settings stored in your existing AspeQt session files are not affected by this change." When I click "OK", I get "Setting were migrated successfuly." I guess that means something is put in the wrong place every time I load AspeQt. And I guess it's not (only) the "s" and the "l" missing from that last sentence. :-)

Sincerely

Mathy

- A capital at the beginning of AspeQt. At the moment it reads "aspeqt" at the top left of the screen. Every other piece of software starts with a capital.

Where exactly does it read "aspeqt: and not "AspeQt"

post-15627-0-79433100-1401422489_thumb.png post-15627-0-09474000-1401423327_thumb.png

About the migration message:

you should normally see that message once, and that's only if you have installed AspeQt previously on that particular computer. If it's a brand new install, that message should not show-up at all. I tested it several times on my Windows machine and it works fine here. What happens is if the program finds a registry value under the registry key TrayGun Software/AspeQt it will interpret that as the sign that software was already installed and will display the migration notice. It will then copy the settings to the new registry key and will delete the old ones. Next time you start the program it will not display the message again. Well, that's how it works in the Windows environment anyway. I am not sure about OS X, but I've used a method that is supposedly "platform independent" according to Qt documentation. You may want to check your settings file(?) to see what's happening. As I am quite new to OS X, so I really have no idea.

And oh before I forget, thank you for pointing out the spelling errors ;)

Edited by atari8warez

I Dont think you can run OSX in VM. Unless its been hacked somehow.

I can also help you out since I run OSX and have dev exp. pm me for email address if interested.

Apparently we can run OS X in VirtualBox (also on VMWare), whether it is hacked or not I am not quite sure at this point but having recently discovered the word "hackintosh", I guess you are right :).

I am downloading (actually just finished downloading) SnowLeopard and I already have a VM setup in VirtualBox, I will shortly try installing the OS and see what happens. And thank you for the offer for help, I am sure I will need all I can get from you guys and it's really appreciated.

Edited by atari8warez

I, too, get the migration message every time I start up AspeQt. Not sure if that has to do with the process of including the libraries as static? During compile time, these are dynamically loaded an then later packed into the app. But maybe that's just a wild guess...

I, too, get the migration message every time I start up AspeQt. Not sure if that has to do with the process of including the libraries as static? During compile time, these are dynamically loaded an then later packed into the app. But maybe that's just a wild guess...

Ok, I will have to look at that after I setup my copy of SnowLeopard in VirtualBox. It may take me some time to figure it out as I have no idea where application settings are stored in OS X (i think it is kind of an .ini file, like those used in Windows environment), but I am not sure at this point, maybe you OS X guys would like to give me some pointers. I don't think the problem is related to linking.

EDIT: Apparently settings for OS X apps are stored in a XML preferences file and in an .INI file on Linux. So that's a start, we'll see where we go from there :)

Edited by atari8warez

QUESTION to LINUX users:

Do you also get "This version of AspeQt uses a different repository for storing its global settings....." message every time you start the application?

This is only applies to the latest release (v1.0.0-preview-6) of AspeQt, older versions don't have this problem.

Edited by atari8warez

Hello atari8warez

"aspect" (without the capital) is shown on the upper left. Next to the Apple logo, where the name of the utility that's being used is shown.

BTW why download Snow Leopard, when Mavericks is newer and free?

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello atari8warez

"aspect" (without the capital) is shown on the upper left. Next to the Apple logo, where the name of the utility that's being used is shown.

BTW why download Snow Leopard, when Mavericks is newer and free?

Sincerely

Mathy

Upper left of what? the application window? and where's apple logo, sorry the only screenshot I have on OS X is the one I posted above, if you can post a screen capture from your computer I may have a better chance to see it.

Why SnowLeopard, well, it was the most popular version before Maverick (I don't know if it still is), and that is the version shown on VirtualBox OS selection screen. Another reason is the RAM requirements, Maverick needs more RAM and I only have 3GB total on my laptop. With SnowLeopard I only need 1GB reserved for the guest OS (OS X), so some RAM is still left for my Host OS (Windows). Besides if AspeQt works with SL it will probably and most likely work with Maverick too, that's at least what I think.

Hello atari8warez

Upper left of the screen. Since I can't upload a picture here, I've asked Google to find one for me (AA shrinks the picture, but if you tell the computer to show you just the picture, you'll see the original size (1280x720)):

WWDC-2013-Mac-OS-X-Mavericks-Features-00

Top left, where it says "Finder". On an Apple computer, the word "Finder" (which is to Mac OS what Windows Explorer is to Windows) is replaced by the piece of software that is currently used/the user is interacting with. That's where it reads "aspeqt" when AspeQt is "on top".

One of the nice things about Mavericks is that memory is somehow packed when it's not being used.

Sincerely

Mathy

Ahh, I now understand what you mean, and my answer is: I have no idea why aspeqt name shows with a lowercase "a" there. If I ever get a successful VirtualBox install of the SnowLeopard I may be able to find out, but so far OS X is stubbornly resisting a successful install. Apparently Apple has some blacklisted CPUs on the kernel and the OS refuses to install if your CPU is one of them, there are "hacks" around but trying them seems to be an exercise in frustration, will see If I can win the battle at the end :).

Ahh, I now understand what you mean, and my answer is: I have no idea why aspeqt name shows with a lowercase "a" there. If I ever get a successful VirtualBox install of the SnowLeopard I may be able to find out, but so far OS X is stubbornly resisting a successful install. Apparently Apple has some blacklisted CPUs on the kernel and the OS refuses to install if your CPU is one of them, there are "hacks" around but trying them seems to be an exercise in frustration, will see If I can win the battle at the end :).

Linux(and I believe also the MAC OS) is case sensitive. You can have files/folders with the same name except for the capitalization of letters. Aspeqt, AspeQT, aspeqt and ASPEQT are 4 different names under Linux. Given this it is possible that the MAC OS is just displaying the exact name.

You can change the spelling of the application name simply by changing the TARGET variable in aspect.pro. If you change it to AspeQt, both the resulting app will be called AspeQt as well as the menu bar item.

Regarding the permission notification, I get this too, and it has to do with the (probably different) way preferences are being stored in different systems. Again, since I'm not a Qt programmer, I can't probably be of much help, but maybe these two websites maybe helpful:

Regarding the general storing of preferences on a Mac (among others):

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qsettings.html#changing-the-location-of-global-qt-settings-on-mac-os-x

How to address the "com.yourcompany..." issue (among others):

http://qt-project.org/wiki/OS_X_application_without_menu_bar

Apparently one needs to provide a Info.plist for Qt with pre-defined values in order to prevent Qt from generating a standard one that has the "com.yourcompany..." stuff in it.

Preferences are normally stored in ~/Library/Preferences/[application identifier]/ - I could find one on the machine I compile AspeQt on, but not on my MacBook. There I only find the app's last saved state in ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.yourcompany.aspeqt.savedState (under the user's home directory). This is however different from ordinary preferences:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/17/delete-specific-application-saved-states-from-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-resume/

It seems that these lines in mainwindow.cpp are the reason for the notification:

QSettings oldSettings("TrayGun Software", "AspeQt");
    QSettings newSettings("atari8warez.com", "AspeQt");
    QStringList oldKeys = oldSettings.allKeys();
    if(oldKeys.size()>0){

Apperently "oldKeys.size" is larger than zero, thus the message is displayed. Maybe it would be helpful for debugging to display the actual size (and contents) of the keys in the window, then debugging might be easier?

• Like 1

Apperently "oldKeys.size" is larger than zero, thus the message is displayed. Maybe it would be helpful for debugging to display the actual size (and contents) of the keys in the window, then debugging might be easier?

Apparently so for OS X, though not in Windows, oldkey.size returns 0 in Windows when there are no values even if the Company/Appname keys exist,

QSettings.remove method (which I am using in the program) removes all values from Company/Appname but leaves the keys intact, the next check in Windows returns no values, thus a size of 0 for oldKeys

maybe I should find another way of checking the old values' existence. I read the description of QSettings in greater detail and they explain how settings are stored in various OSes and QSettings is supposedly platform independent.

Also It would have helped me if you could send me a snapshot of your settings

You can change the spelling of the application name simply by changing the TARGET variable in aspect.pro. If you change it to AspeQt, both the resulting app will be called AspeQt as well as the menu bar item.

Ok, I'll do that, and thank you for the links, I'll check them out.

Edited by atari8warez

I think I just found the answer for the registry key problem, it looks like I need to issue a setFallbacksEnabled(false) command before checking, once again always pays to read the documentation ;) :

• On Mac OS X, allKeys() will return some extra keys for global settings that apply to all applications. These keys can be read using value() but cannot be changed, only shadowed. Calling setFallbacksEnabled(false) will hide these global settings.
Edited by atari8warez

Hello guys

Might be a small problem, but since you're in there anyway...

When I go to "Preferences" and then "Emulation" or "User Interface", some of the lines of text won't fit inside the window and there is no way to enlarge the window to make them fit.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello atari8warez

The lines starting with:

- Use custom baud rate for cassette en

- Filter out underscore characters from

- Required for AtariDOS compatib (part of the "i" following the "b" can be seen, but the rest is cut off)

and

- Enable Shade in Mini Mode by defaul ("t" is cut in half)

- Use larger font in drive slot descripti ("o" is cut in half)

What I typed above is all I see in the truncated lines. The rest seems to be complete.

Sincerely

Mathy

I think I just found the answer for the registry key problem, it looks like I need to issue a setFallbacksEnabled(false) command before checking, once again always pays to read the documentation ;) :

Great, do you still need me to provide you with a snapshot of my configuration (and if so, in which format)?

Great, do you still need me to provide you with a snapshot of my configuration (and if so, in which format)?

I just committed changes I made for the above problems, would you please try it and let me know the results. If we still have problems then I may ask you to provide the snapshot.

My adventure in installing OS X as a Virtual Machine doesn't look promising so far so I will have to rely on you, OS X guys to help me out. I had much better luck with installing and running Ubuntu in a VM but now I have to get familiar with it before I can do some useful stuff.

No problem, glad if I can help. The repository message now no longer appears, the only thing I can see now is rather minor: there is a quotation mark at the end of each log line in the status window:

Cannot open serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial': No such file or directory."

Emulation stopped."

Slightly off-topic: Do you plan to implement a feature similar to ProSystem, i.e. being able to connect a Floppy drive without the need to connect an ATARI in order to transfer disks to a PC? That would be awesome :)...

Emulation stopped."

Slightly off-topic: Do you plan to implement a feature similar to ProSystem, i.e. being able to connect a Floppy drive without the need to connect an ATARI in order to transfer disks to a PC? That would be awesome :)...

Yes I am, but I don't have a timeline for it, I normally work on AspeQt whenever I find time from other other things in life and whenever there is a problem with a new release (like this registry problem). Actually the best thing to do is to log a new request through the ticket system of Sourceforge, I give priority to those requests compared to requests casually made through this thread. Tickets help me remember and organize requests better.

there is a quotation mark at the end of each log line in the status window

This sounds like another platform specific problem as I don't see those quotes under Windows, will take a look and see if I can find the reason for that.

Question: Are you going to be able to provide OS X binaries from your website on an ongoing basis?. I linked to you from my website but I was not sure about continuity. Would you prefer to upload the binaries to Sourceforge? if so, let me know and I'll give you access.

Edited by atari8warez