IGNORED

PAL ColecoVision video modding help please!

bacteria

I know some similar topics have been made in the past however the answers were quite technical, i'm after an easy answer to my problem.

The RF on my PAL system is different to the NTSC one.

I want to output the video in either composite, S-video or RGB, not fussed which; onto PSone screens in PAL format (although I have some NTSC screens if better) - the PAL PSone screen can do S-video with a simple mod, BTW.

I tried to connect Y, B-Y and R-Y to my large television, Y gave a fuzzy monochrome image with a lot of poor image quality, the R-Y and B-Y gave nothing. Anyway, component is no use for what I need.

It was suggested to use a TDA8501 chip as an easy solution that might make this work?

205y5b6.jpg

Link to the PDF is HERE - "locate datasheet"

Would this TDA8501 chip output S-video from taking the Y, R-Y, B-Y lines off the Coleco graphics chip directly (pins 1, 3, 5), pin 17 to ground for PAL, and tap off pins 14 and 19 for S-video output?

Would this work? am I on the wrong or right path? Would I need to use any other components, if so what and where please?

Please give me guidance. I can't read schematic diagrams well, so please bear this in mind, and keep your information easy to understand please!!

I would be grateful for your assistance please! I really want to use my Coleco, and at the moment can't.

There are some posts about trying to get better video from the PAL Coleco in the hardware forums. As far as I know, no one has been successful.

There is beta testing of a component A/V upgrade at the moment and it is hoped that it will work on PAL systems.

I took the easy way out and bought a French Coleco, they have RGB via Scart as standard:twisted:

Interested in selling it?

For that matter, anyone got a PAL ColecoVision that is either composite modded for sale, or an NTSC unit for sale (do PAL games work on the NTSC Coleco ok?)? (I am in the UK).

This is the only board I don't seem to be able to send or receive PM's - please send me therefore an email to johnpgrayson@aol.com if you have one for sale, price, etc: or reply here of course! My PAL console works however I can only get sound as I can't make composite work!!

Edited by bacteria

For that matter, anyone got a PAL ColecoVision that is either composite modded for sale, or an NTSC unit for sale (do PAL games work on the NTSC Coleco ok?)?

The roms in both American and European CV releases were/are identical and so are the carts are completely interchangeable between all CV consoles.

I am trying to make my PAL ColecoVision work on S-video or composite.

The chip suggested: TDA8501 - datasheet is HERE (click on "locate datasheet") for the PDF file

I would be grateful if someone could confirm how I need to wire this up - on the datasheet, I am thinking:

PIN:

1 R-Y input

3 B-Y input

5 Y input

8 5v in

10 ground

14 chroma out

17 ground

19 luma out

is this connect? I don't want to damage the chip.

Also, on another question, anyone got a French ColecoVision for sale? I believe they do RGB output?