IGNORED

Congo Bongo?

King Atari

I liked Congo Bongo as a kid, but after playing it again as a "grown up" I can see its weak points. The game play is rough, and at points the game play glitches are game killers, can you say "jump the gap" boys and girls? ugh. The graphics are weaker than they could be, but it is a very colorful game. My biggest gripe is the scoring cheat that allows you to roll the game without really playing it that hard.

I still like it somewhat and I still play it, but its lost some of the "magic" it had as a kid. :sad:

• 15 years later...

It was such a nice looking game in the arcade for it's time. It's a shame that all the Atari conversions look like someone wretched all over the screen!

I think it plays all right, it's just nauseating to look at. Not the kind of game the 2600 was designed for.

• Like 1

Oh, necrobumps. They've really become a thing lately, haven't they? :P (No skin off my ass--if I haven't read it, it's new to me! :-D )

Anyway, to answer the nearly 16-year-old question:

No.

If you want to play Congo Bongo on a console play the ColecoVision version.

Don't do this. There are no good console versions of Congo Bongo, and therefore no reason to play any of them unless you either just like shitty games, or you have a lulzy hipster-gamer YouTube channel and you want to see if you can find the absolute worst version out there to wretch over for your subscribers (hint: it's the VIC-20 version). Even the "better" versions like the Coleco's are full, fluffy loaves of poo, as opposed to diarrheal soups of blood and ebola.

Here's a "let's compare" video...

I couldn't find any long videos for Congo Bongo for the Vic-20

Ow My eyes!!

I think the best-looking home version is the Apple II version. Probably because its limited palette just happened to have the right colors that worked for the game.. They couldn't give it the overly bright neon colors that every other home version seemed to have even if they wanted to.

Congo Bongo for any system, can end up being a frustrating exercise in tolerance. The isometric "3D" gimmick gets old quick as you accidentally die trying to make well placed jumps in a game where most versions feature shoddy collision detection. Not sure the arcade game has aged so well either. We played Congo Bongo BITD because it was different. Today, I'd rather not play it for the very same reason. :lol:

I find the crap I posted 16 years ago more embarrassing than not, and as such necrobumps are a bane of my existence.

That said, from my modern viewpoint, I don't hate 2600 Congo Bongo. It's ugly, and probably shouldn't have even been attempted, but it plays well enough - once you get used to it. However, it's not a cart I find myself jonesing to fire up very often.