IGNORED

Project Unity

Longhorn Engineer

is that pic life size, if so, it might have been easier to rip the guts out of a lynx and put a 2600 in that (ofcourse you'd have to make some sort of cart adapter)

Could work. I could make a PCB that is the same size as the Lynx board so it would be a drop in fit. Maybe after I get this one done I will think about doing a couple one offs like that.

$400 for a fully custom-made limited edition is very reasonable for something like this considering all the work you've put into it. :) Again, very cool!

$400 is cutting really close. It all depends on how much those cases will cost in the end.

The Price break down

Case : $150 This includes the tooling charge and material for the case. It could be around $100 but I am budgeting $150 just to be safe.

Screen : $60 2.5" AEIcomp screen

PCB : $10

Harmony Cart : $50

Lithium Batteries : $40 This includes the charger

Other Parts : $30

Atari 2600 Donor Chips : ~$20

Total : $360

If the cases only cost $100 to make then I can drop the price point to around $350.

After the metal ones sell out I am going to get a bunch of ABS plastic cases made so a complete portable should cost around $270ish

Any chance on a kit?

Screen : $60 2.5" AEIcomp screen

PCB : $10

Lithium Batteries : $40 This includes the charger

Other Parts : $30

Basically,

we provide a gutted atari for donor chips, our own harmony cart, and make our own case.

I skimmed the old posts, and forget, does this have a normal cart slot? Or builtin harmony so it is done via SD?

Either way, I am very interested, but $400 will be tough to spring for, (I am basically Al Bundy, married with children...)

It woulc be great to get one setup over the next 8 weeks, I could take it on my cruise this summer! That would be sweet, kicking back in the carribean with a beer and some 2600 action.

How is that screen in daylight?

Any chance on a kit?

How is that screen in daylight?

There will not be a kit. The screen/batteries are to expensive for me to just have them "on hand" but I will provide a list of where you can buy the parts.

The screen is just like any modern TFT LCD so it is easily viewable in the sun. It even has an anti-glare film.

The pause button has already been added to the circuit board.

The 12 special edition portables I am making will not have a cart slot. Now any portable made with the unity PCB be able to have a cart slot or you can hard solder the Harmony into it.

Can we pre-order a special edition one? :D (I think you know where I'm going with this)

Not going to do preorders till I am much closer to getting the final rev of PCB. With how the video mod orders are going its going to be at least 3 weeks or so till I can work on other projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Changed where the cart slot was. Added a Paddle switch so you can turn it off (useful for the harmony cart). Moved the video mod farther away from the audio amp. The controls are on a raised "daughter board" to bring them close to the front of the portable. Lots of little tweaks to the circuit. Overall dimensions are now 117mm x 84mm which is a bit skinner then the first version.

If I haven't mentioned it, I am extremely interested in one of these. Very impressive.

One question, since you will need to scavenge a 2600 for the main chips, will there be room for them to be socketed in this? Or is it going to be so tight that they will be soldered to the main board?

If I haven't mentioned it, I am extremely interested in one of these. Very impressive.

One question, since you will need to scavenge a 2600 for the main chips, will there be room for them to be socketed in this? Or is it going to be so tight that they will be soldered to the main board?

No room for sockets. Sockets add a about 1/8" of space and I am aiming to fit this in your pocket so that 1/8" counts.

How is the cartridge going to connect? A slot similar to GameBoy? That weird sticking out the back thing that Ben Heck does with a lot his mods? I know the gameboy style would make it much wider, but I can't stand the look of the carts sticking out of the back of those portables. I am sure I'll be getting one either way. :D

How is the cartridge going to connect? A slot similar to GameBoy? That weird sticking out the back thing that Ben Heck does with a lot his mods? I know the gameboy style would make it much wider, but I can't stand the look of the carts sticking out of the back of those portables. I am sure I'll be getting one either way. :D

It will go down the back much like the GameBoy. See where the cart slot is located on the PCB? the actual cart slot will be 90 degrees to the PCB at that point. This part will have to be made out of some prototype PCB material and soldered by hand. There will be brackets and the like in the kit for mounting.

No room for sockets. Sockets add a about 1/8" of space and I am aiming to fit this in your pocket so that 1/8" counts.

I ass-u-me-d that it would be the case, and yes I see how that 1/8" would add up!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...