IGNORED

Homebrew roms?

Gigabyte

Hello all! I've been a lurker around these parts for about a year and I finally decided to make an account.

I was wondering if there are available roms for a few homebrew games: Dungeon and Stella's Stocking. I wasn't able to even find information about these two titles on Atari Age and I thought that it was curious. I suspect that both titles are available as repos, and if they have official sites please direct me to them.

Unfortunately, I don't have a working 2600. My girlfriend got me a Flashback 2 for Christmas, and I've been enjoying that, but I plan on picking up a 2600 as soon as I find a working one in public. Most of my atari gaming is via emulation, and Dungeon looks like a fantastic title and I am dying to play it.

I'm not meaning to infringe on any copyright laws here, sorry if there is some policy surrounding these two games that states that one can't distribute the roms; in my experience most homebrew games are distributed free, but I understand it could go either way with these two titles.

Has anyone played either of these games? Are they fun?

Thanks in advance!

You can get the Dungeon rom here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/127378-dungeon-2600-release-candidate/page__view__findpost__p__1590573

I don't think the Stella's Stocking ROM was ever released. I know Stay Frosty & Cold War are floating around as self contained BINs. Grandma's Revenge may be as well.. can't remember. A search on those titles should turn something up.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for the link. This game is truly awesome. I am very impressed s0c7! Do you have any other games for the Atari playable?

I found the manual on s0c7s blog, in case anyone else is interested, took a little help from google to find.

Has anyone conquered this game? I reached Dungeon Level 4 on my second play, I'm about to play for a few hours I think.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the Stay Frosty rom, I look forward to checking it out as well!

2ND EDIT: I've reached a "lava cave" but I see no demon to kill :(

Edited by Gigabyte

Wow, thanks for the link. This game is truly awesome. I am very impressed s0c7! Do you have any other games for the Atari playable?

Thanks, glad you like it. I don't have anything else quite so complex, but if you want to look at some other things I've done:

Bifröst (the most recent thing I've been experimenting with) - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/143125-bifroest-2k-2600-game/page__view__findpost__p__1737232

Cold War (from Stella's Stocking - NOTE: 2 player only) - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/136411-cold-war-fixed/page__view__findpost__p__1645367

Phantom II / Pirate / (Wizard - Easter Egg Game) My 1st cart. Hit fire 3 times at the title screen to access Wizard. - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/89758-phantom-ii-pirate/page__view__findpost__p__1188216

There are a few other odds and ends floating around. Phantom II/Pirate, Stella's Stocking, & Dungeon are the only things available through AtariAge.

Edited by s0c7

Thanks, glad you like it. I don't have anything else quite so complex, but if you want to look at some other things I've done:

Bifröst (the most recent thing I've been experimenting with) - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/143125-bifroest-2k-2600-game/page__view__findpost__p__1737232

Cold War (from Stella's Stocking - NOTE: 2 player only) - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/136411-cold-war-fixed/page__view__findpost__p__1645367

Phantom II / Pirate / (Wizard - Easter Egg Game) My 1st cart. Hit fire 3 times at the title screen to access Wizard. - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/89758-phantom-ii-pirate/page__view__findpost__p__1188216

There are a few other odds and ends floating around. Phantom II/Pirate, Stella's Stocking, & Dungeon are the only things available through AtariAge.

Nice, I'll have to check those out as soon as I beat Dungeon. It took some sorting through old posts, but I finally found this hint you provided:

"I was planning on this being the 1st release candidate, but I have a feeling it's going to need a little tweaking.

What's new:

Max SP is now 20.

There is now a lake of fire on the bottom level you have to get through to reach the demon. How does one pass safely through hellfire? One needs a dragon's tooth. Where does one get a dragon's tooth? From a dragon of course! Where do dragons live? In hidden chambers behind false walls."

Might wanna update the .txt ;)

...Aaaaaand finished. The Dragon was tough to find, but not too bad. I still have 1 Excalibur charge when I beat the game. Now to check out those other roms! If anyone had any other homebrew roms that are somewhat rare and not included in the usual giant atari rom packages, please let me know about them. I've got tons of spare time before classes start on Monday and I'll be playing lots of Atari.

...Aaaaaand finished. The Dragon was tough to find, but not too bad. I still have 1 Excalibur charge when I beat the game. Now to check out those other roms! If anyone had any other homebrew roms that are somewhat rare and not included in the usual giant atari rom packages, please let me know about them. I've got tons of spare time before classes start on Monday and I'll be playing lots of Atari.

Now flip both difficulty switches to A.

I don't think the ROMs for the past holiday cartridges have been released.

I think it depends. If I remember correctly, the ROM for Reindeer Rescue was released so we could play it in the Atari 2600 High Score Club. :) So maybe if we want Al to release the ROM for a particular holiday cart, we need to request it for the High Score Club? :ponder: :D

Michael

Say, are there any NTSC ROMs around of Simon Quernhorst's games Encaved, I Project, and Kite? I've found PAL ROMs of all three, but they roll on real hardware via my (most excellent) Harmony cart. The Encaved ROM downloadable from the AA Rarity Guide is labeled NTSC, but it rolls like PAL.

Edited by thegoldenband

My mistake on I Project and Kite -- I'm not sure how I got the impression there were NTSC versions of those, and I even read Simon's pages about the games which is doubly embarrassing. There's supposed to be a NTSC version of Encaved, though, isn't there?

EDIT: OK, at least one other person has had the same question as me, and based on Al's post here I'm guessing that the NTSC ROM hasn't been released, and is only available by buying the cart. That's fine, of course -- I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something that had been made available.

Edited by thegoldenband