IGNORED

WTB: CX10 Joystick Atari logos(hex discs)

darece01

These Atari hex discs are really hard to find as most people who have them don't want to let them go. Good luck in your search. Hopefully someone will have a set that you can get. Side note, where did you get the attached picture you used as an example?

I found these on a Google image search. They appear to be unused and in the original packaging. It makes me wonder if these were factory replacements(I assume the CX10 sticks came with them already mounted). It seems like I see a lot of CX10s that are missing them. With that type of demand I'm supprised that someone isn't producing replicas. Are they made of plastic or are they printed foil stickers?

These Atari hex discs are really hard to find as most people who have them don't want to let them go. Good luck in your search. Hopefully someone will have a set that you can get. Side note, where did you get the attached picture you used as an example?

I found these on a Google image search. They appear to be unused and in the original packaging. It makes me wonder if these were factory replacements(I assume the CX10 sticks came with them already mounted). It seems like I see a lot of CX10s that are missing them. With that type of demand I'm supprised that someone isn't producing replicas. Are they made of plastic or are they printed foil stickers?

They must have been factory replacements because they came installed in the 1977 CX-10's directly from Atari. You can see my personal set here. The hex discs don't get mounted, they sort of fit into a little indent in the top of the joystick. The 1978 CX-10's don't have this indent in the top.

The discs can come out pretty easily, which is why you see a lot of CX-10's without them. Not sure if people are reproducing them, but I've seen people make copies of them on heavy stock paper, cut them out and place them in the indents.

As for if the original ones are plastic or printed foil, mine which are original 1977's are sort of a thin metal. Not sure if you would call it printed foil or not.

There are the first generation hex discs, which are thicker and shinier. They are rare as hens teeth and command much higher prices.

The second generation, which are the ones on your photo are much more common, and are (at least up until recently)available new. These are far cheaper, probably around $5. I can't remember who it was who was selling them and whether or not they have run out...

There are the first generation hex discs, which are thicker and shinier. They are rare as hens teeth and command much higher prices.

The second generation, which are the ones on your photo are much more common, and are (at least up until recently)available new. These are far cheaper, probably around $5. I can't remember who it was who was selling them and whether or not they have run out...

When you say "the ones on your photo", do you mean the user darece01's photo who started this thread or the ones on my system that I linked to? Reason why I ask is my system's CX-10's are the original ones that came with it in 1977 when my grand parents purchased the system. Just wanting some clarification for the Atari Nerd in me :)

When you say "the ones on your photo", do you mean the user darece01's photo who started this thread or the ones on my system that I linked to? Reason why I ask is my system's CX-10's are the original ones that came with it in 1977 when my grand parents purchased the system. Just wanting some clarification for the Atari Nerd in me :)

I didnt see any link. i was talking about the other discs mounted on the cardboard

I didnt see any link. i was talking about the other discs mounted on the cardboard.

I had a look at your photos and they look to be 2nd generation too

Reason why I ask is my system's CX-10's are the original ones that came with it in 1977 when my grand parents purchased the system. Just wanting some clarification for the Atari Nerd in me :)

I didnt see any link. i was talking about the other discs mounted on the cardboard.

Strange that you say mine look like second generation. I know for sure that my system is all original from when it was purchased back in 1977. Nothing has been replaced on the system.

I just checked my hex discs and they are sort of a metal and thick, much thicker then a piece of paper. The tops are not shiny but the bottom of the hex discs are... so yeah... still a little confused. I guess seeing a side by side comparison of first gen and second gen hex discs would help clarify a little more.

Reason why I ask is my system's CX-10's are the original ones that came with it in 1977 when my grand parents purchased the system. Just wanting some clarification for the Atari Nerd in me :)

Strange that you say mine look like second generation. I know for sure that my system is all original from when it was purchased back in 1977. Nothing has been replaced on the system.

I just checked my hex discs and they are sort of a metal and thick, much thicker then a piece of paper. The tops are not shiny but the bottom of the hex discs are... so yeah... still a little confused. I guess seeing a side by side comparison of first gen and second gen hex discs would help clarify a little more.

There have been 2nd gen hex's found in the wild, so they were definately sold brand new like that. Its just that there was an earlier version that was released. The earliest versions were shiny, yours doesnt appear to be.

There have been 2nd gen hex's found in the wild, so they were definately sold brand new like that. Its just that there was an earlier version that was released. The earliest versions were shiny, yours doesnt appear to be.

Do you have pictures to show for comparison by chance (first gen verse second gen)?

If the finish(flat vs. shiny)is the only distinguishing factor it may be difficult to tell from my original photo. The ones shown in that picture are behind in a clear plastic package and also appear to have a thin layer of that clear protective contact film over them to prevent damage during shipping.

Do you have pictures to show for comparison by chance (first gen verse second gen)?

Nope, sorry. but I've seen both. the differences are that 1st gen is thicker and shiny. An easy way of telling the difference is that the 1st gen hex sit flush with the groove on the joystick, whereas the 2nd gen sit slightly in.

Nope, sorry. but I've seen both. the differences are that 1st gen is thicker and shiny. An easy way of telling the difference is that the 1st gen hex sit flush with the groove on the joystick, whereas the 2nd gen sit slightly in.

Here is a set that I recently purchased for next to nothing. The discs seem to sit flush. Do these appear to be first generation? They also have a very unusual button mechanism. They use spring metal contacts which are soldered to the circuit board instead of the "bubble" contacts that I've seen used in other CX-10s and CX-40s. The board is green on the solder side(bottom) and white on the button side(top). The Atari logo is printed on the bottom side.

Do these appear to be first generation?

A top-down picture would be more handy ;)

2nd Gen. and they look like someone recently applied them (e.g. not factory original).

According to Dino the 1st generation hex discs sit flush with the top of the stick and the 2nd generation are recessed a bit. I'm not sure how much more flush these can be without protruding above the rim of the rubber boot.

2nd Gen. and they look like someone recently applied them (e.g. not factory original).

According to Dino the 1st generation hex discs sit flush with the top of the stick and the 2nd generation are recessed a bit. I'm not sure how much more flush these can be without protruding above the rim of the rubber boot.

CPUWIZ is right. These are not flush. You can see a slight rim where they are (ever so slightly) recessed into the joystick ;)

CPUWIZ is right. These are not flush. You can see a slight rim where they are (ever so slightly) recessed into the joystick ;)

If anyone has picks of the 1st gen, please post them. I am curious to know exactly what they look like. Thanks.

Another question comes to mind after seeing the photos. The circuit board has long style contacts like the Colecovision uses. My sticks both have the standard round snap contacts and the boards look like they would even interchange with the later joysticks. Are mine an alternate style assembly or did all of the cx10s come with the long style contacts.

bah

I think at this point we can say that Atari did a lot of random things back in 1977 and 1978 with Heavy Sixers. They used different boards, wires, circuits and other things from what I've seen.

My own personal Heavy Sixer which has been in my family since it was purchased new in 1977 has never been in for service and the hex discs are not shiny on top, however they are flush with the top of the joysticks, but AtariAge member Dino said in a comment in this thread that mine "look to be 2nd generation too" but based on when my system was purchased and the date code inside, mine is a first release heavy sixer.

We will probably never know what part, in this case hex discs, if they are "1st gen or 2nd gen". How can we know for sure? Yes there appears to be some reproduction or later made versions with talk in this thread, but in my own personal case, it's 100% confirmed everything I have with my boxed system is original and has not been replaced.

Thoughts?

I think at this point we can say that Atari did a lot of random things back in 1977 and 1978 with Heavy Sixers. They used different boards, wires, circuits and other things from what I've seen.

My own personal Heavy Sixer which has been in my family since it was purchased new in 1977 has never been in for service and the hex discs are not shiny on top, however they are flush with the top of the joysticks, but AtariAge member Dino said in a comment in this thread that mine "look to be 2nd generation too" but based on when my system was purchased and the date code inside, mine is a first release heavy sixer.

We will probably never know what part, in this case hex discs, if they are "1st gen or 2nd gen". How can we know for sure? Yes there appears to be some reproduction or later made versions with talk in this thread, but in my own personal case, it's 100% confirmed everything I have with my boxed system is original and has not been replaced.

Thoughts?

We won't know for sure until someone posts pictures of an original heavy sixer having an early serial #(with an "E" suffix), showing the joysticks that came with it. Given that the Atari 2600 evolved toward cheaper, easier to produce parts, my guess is that this style circuit board is an original (early first year) design.